Thursday 5 January 2006

My Hostel Life!


More than 9 yrs of my life were in different hostels...I have really lost count of their numbers...but any one who would have been a long time in hostels ,would agree with me that its really a wonderful place to get true friends... I got really a handful of true friends from there, who literally cried with me, laughed with me and even fought for me. They stole food for me(good food is a rare commodity in hostels !!), covered for me,(when I came late)...and what not, they did for me!!! 
The rules were always for us to break! The walls were always for us to jump! (at least, we thot like that!!!)
Where I stayed, our warden who was a nun, would switch off the light at 9:30 PM. And it was her strict rule, that we should never stay in others room for more than 10 mts. After switching off the lights, she will come for her usual "rounds", to check if any one of us are in others rooms. She used to count the no:of inmates, to check. I never stayed in my room...room # 25 was my camp! When she starts her rounds, one of our msngr friends(who saw her first) will inform us thru a code word. It was "the elephant has come!!". One nite she suddenly appeared in front of our msngr that she couldn't warn us, in time.
Room # 25 was actually packed with 7 girls...we were shouting and laughing and playing "antakshari", in dark..(cos after 9:30, there were no lights!). When she came and knocked our room, we had only 2-3 seconds to cover the extra 4 girls(which included me!!).
We acted like BSF jawans in warfront!!!!.....2 girls went under 2 beds, one girl got inside the cupboard...and what was left was me...i suddenly dropped asleep in a bed side corner...and when we opened the door, everything was normal and silent...but our warden knew that the noise didn't come from just 3 girls..she began to check carefully...now under one bed, we had a bucket and the girl who went there accidently rolled it ...and ohhhh.....she caught her....next came, one from under the other bed and the one inside cupboard!!! (we actually thot, she cudnt see us, clearly in dark!!) . Now she saw me, fast asleep(I was good, in that act!!!!)...and what happened next was unbelievable she began to shout "don't u girls have any pity for this poor thing, who is sleeping in the midst of u devils!!!! She is tired after her work, and u ppl wont give her peace not even to sleep?bla..bla..bla" .And after 10 mts of non-stop firing, she went, threatening to take action against us(not me!!!)....I was dreading this moment....the moment she went all the other 6 girls pounced over me like 6 jaguars over a small kitten(me!!!), for my "poor little creature" act!!!
After more than half an hr of pure torture, like a POW from an enemy camp, I went back to my room...!!!
They were saying(during torture!), that my laugh was like "Kroor Singh"  in "Chandrakantha" (who is a monster in that serial!), which attracted our nun, and the penance were paid by them!!!!

13 comments:

  1. I have never been to hostel… I m feeling jealous .. I missed all the fun

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    -Ravi

    ReplyDelete
  2. in my childhood i used to cry asking my parents to send me to hostel...they never let me ...but now i m all alone for 2years :( i miss them alot...but hey swathi guess u got so many experiences in ur life which u recollect all the time, like me...same pinch :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Swathi, ur blogs evoke the nostalgic feelings and make us cry over our memories...
    <<>> Well, thats the unwritten rule of hostel life...for the students by the students...degree life was fun cuz of the rules...

    Once into engineering...the hostels were free of rules..no rules to break and no walls to jump...we missed the thrill...

    now again back to university...this time in a different country..a different experience..where both boys n girls live in the same hostel..in opposite rooms...the enjoyment and exitement of hostel life has withered thru the ages and now I view them as kids doing reckless things...and me feels like an old man who has seen 1000 full moons.......



    Anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea really nostalgic......nice bloggin swathi....waitin for more..

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey swathi nice blogs u made me go back to my hostel days.its real fun to be in hostel.have encountered same kinda situations.when we think abt it now i feel how much fun i'm mising now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am been in hostel from my 5th standard,i agree with u swathi i got lot of true good friends, but always i felt i missed my family, and use to eagerly wait for holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swathi, As soon as I read the Blog title "Sapne" Kajol only came to my mind. A wonderful nostalgic moments...reminds me of jumping compound walls

    ReplyDelete
  8. ravi, madhu....u missed some fun at hostels!!!
    cherry,rakhu,pradeep....thanks alot guys!! u ppl boost me to write more!!!
    aravind.....i miss hostel now, i missed home, then!!
    came....i thinking jumping hostel walls, is a MUST that we all should do!!! :-)
    love,
    swathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. So u were a devil in the college.U r looks decieve...

    ReplyDelete
  10. chanakya,yea,i know my looks are decisive!!!LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you girls sure had a lot of fun. All my hostel life memories are limited to the 'Malory Towers' and 'Girls at St'Claires' series by Enid Blyton. ; )

    Hey, why did you have to go to so many hostels, girl?

    ReplyDelete
  12. we use to keep time bombs in wardens room, u know how to make it? find the length of a agarbhakti in centimeters, and find the time to burn 1 cm of agarbhakthia and tie up the detnoator of gundu or cracker at a suitable position on the agarbhakthi and light the agarbhakthi and keep it under wardens bed! tell him we kept the mosquito coil! We tried this in lunch box also in class room, very good result even the police came!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROTFLOL!
    Congrats. Great act indeed.
    Luck was in your favour.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...