Tuesday 10 January 2006

Unkept Promises!


We all have made promises...some were kept while most were unkempt! But when we are unable to keep promises with small kids, the story is different. I wonder why kids seem so affected by "broken promises" of adults. Even I had such an experience.

 

As a kid, I was very fascinated by Barbie dolls. I got this fascination while I was in 3rd std and my friends(rich) began to talk about them in school. Actually I haven't even seen a Barbie doll at that time. Ours were a middle class family, with only one earning member, my father. I had only 2 dolls to play all my life , one rubber doll and one plastic. I told my father that I also need a Barbie doll. Its cost was some 200Rs or 300Rs at that time and my father couldn't afford that much money for just a doll. So he told me about his situation and promised me that if I could get more than 90% in my 10th class, he would buy me a Barbie doll...I was thrilled..by that time, I have seen its advt in TV and was awed by its beauty and mostly its accessories!!! Though there were almost 7 yrs for me to reach my 10th class, I pledged myself that I will get more than 90% marks in 10th ,and  thus "earn" a Barbie doll!!!

 

Next time, when my friends boasted about their dolls, I told them my father will buy me one, as soon as I get 90% in 10th. As they were also kids, they didn't ask me any further questions!!!

 

I kept it in my mind, all through the yrs till I reached 10 th class. I got 94% marks. Then I asked my dad, "you promised that day that u will buy me a Barbie". But he had forgotten about that old promise. Now he was worried about my higher education and college fees...he told me "u have past that age, to play with dolls. Now it will be a waste of money. I have so many other things to worry about". 

 

Ohhhh!!!! I felt a pang in my heart!!! My dream that was nurtured for 7 yrs, crashed before me! I was hoping against hopes that I can "earn" my Barbie, at last and now!!!!! I didn't cry or complain for that matter, cos I was too shocked!!! 

 

Years passed by. When I got my first salary(I was 21,then), I thot I need to buy a Barbie doll, to soothe my heart. I went to the biggest  toy store in town and to the Barbie aisle....but after spending hrs there, I didn't want any doll at all !!!!!! I realized that I had lost that little girls mind, to dress up Barbie, to put make-up on her, to make bed for her etc etc...I felt sad...lost...now I had 5000/- Rs in my hand, to buy a Barbie and O God! I don't want to buy it at all !!!!.....

 

I left that corner and went to the stuffed toy section. I felt so unhappy that I chose a stuffed toy(whose face looked sooo sad!!!) and went home. Later thru the years I bought almost 10-12 big and small soft toys. Ppl who know me, gift me soft, cuddly bears or lions or dogs, including my husband, who bought me a big lion!!....but still I don't even like to see Barbie dolls anymore....I think I hate them!!!! Now if I want, I can have a whole Barbie collection, but the saddest thing is I don't want Barbie any more!!!

 

Now I am very careful, not to promise a kid, her dream....cos I think "broken promises" can leave a very deep wound than "broken dreams".

11 comments:

  1. SOFT TOYS...EVERY GIRL LOVES THEM...I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY AGE TO HAVE THEM...EVEN I HAVE A LOT OF THEM...GIFTED OR BOUGHT.I LOVE THEM ALL...INFACT I AM ABOUT TO WRITE A BLOG ON THEM SOON...WATCH OUT!

    AND YOU KNOW WHAT...WHETHER YOU TAKE IT AS A BROKEN PROMISE..THAT PROMISE HELPED YOU TO GET SUCH GOOD MARKS IN YOUR 10TH STD...I AM SURE YOU WOULD HAVE KEPT YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT UP MANY A TIMES FEELING PROUD OF YOUR MARKS:) THAT IS YOUR BARBIE:) WITH WHICH YOU CAN PLAY WITH YOUR WHOLE LIFE AND CAN NEVER LOOSE INTEREST IN...
    CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the opposite ....internally it makes u hate marks or whatever u hve achieved...i dunno 'bout swathi...but me...'tis true...broken promises hurts u more and travels with u all thru ur life...especially when i comes from a person whom u trusts n regards as a role model...the wound never heals...

    ReplyDelete
  3. swathi its kinda feeling which made you to overcome desire of buying a barbie and infact brought hatred to tht toy which u longed to have in ur childhood.nice way of writing.

    btwn just yesterday i was asking to madhu why do gals always have a doll with them and she answered tht
    'coz boys always give hand and run away whenever they wish....so girls keep toys for safe side'.lol. and today i see it in ur blog and tanvis comment too :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is sad that the promise was broken...I wonder if your father realized ever how much it hurt you? It may seem like it was all about the Barbie, but it was much more than that....it was about your father's approval, your effort to please him....try not to feel so badly over it because I do not think his intention was to hurt you; I think he had no idea what the Barbie represented to you at that time. Be proud of yourself and the great accomplishments which you have made... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. no more toys for me. i have my kid to play with

    ReplyDelete
  6. TANVI---that marks sure make me proud, but not as much as others think!I got scholarship for that, but still it dont give me a high!!

    ITSJUSTME---i dont hate my marks..my heart was broken cos i trusted my father(who was my role model) and nurtured a dream based on that. i was wounded just cos of that!

    PRADEEP----i still sleep with a soft toy!!!!i dont know why,but it gives a lot of comfort!! abt madhu's theory i think, she may be rite.

    GEEK GIRL----i dont have anything agnst my father now, cos at 28, i may think the way he thot then! he still dont know the effect of his (broken) promise. he says, "now u can buy anything u wish, rite? so what?" he was rite..at that time, even 200 RS mattered alot for us!

    MAHU----u have a kid??? GREAT! i didnt know that!

    -swathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey even boys like soft toys........in my case my parents promised me the cycle when i was in 3rd standard and every year they postponed it till 10 , the roblem was i may met acident with that ( my mom's concern) then i said no to cycle ..but with bigger demand.....guess what it is....;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i m gonna write a blog on my kid soon. no body knows him much my dear

    Friendly friend : bike?

    ReplyDelete
  9. somthing great about promise, shows the value of promises we made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally get heartbroken and disullusioned when someone I care for (and who I know cares for me) doesn't keep his/ her promise. It takes a lot of time and effort for me to get over it. But, like for you sometimes the interest in the 'object' gets cast away.

    Yeah, let's strive to keep our promises!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, broken promises leave a big wound in a young child's heart.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...