Saturday 21 January 2006

Our School-Car !!!!!


My first school van(technically, car) was a white, ambassador car, with a huge luggage rack on the top. I used to call the driver, 'driver-uncle'. The car was completely packed with kids aging from 3 yrs to 15 yrs. Every morning and evening, driver-uncle had to count our heads, to make sure that noone is missing. It has happened so many times, when our driver-uncle realised, that a kid is missing, when he is about to take his school-bag,out!. As far as I remember there were 20-25 kids in a single trip to school. We were packed in a separate, fool-proof way, so that minimum suffocation happens to smaller ones. There were 3 layers of kids, in our car:

 

[1]First layer, standing on the seat, would be shorter, kindergarten kids, whose head wont brush the top.

[2]Second layer, would be the bigger kids from 13-15 yrs, and

[3]On their lap would be the third layer of kids whose age group comes anywhere in b/w 6-12.(they neither sat nor stood completely!!!!) 

 

Most of the time, when driver-uncle slams breaks, these standing-layer of kindergarten kids, would fall forward, thus smashing  into the sitting-layer and our whole architecture would go hay-wire. This would often result in hits, bumps and very very often, in loud long wails. I can say the terrible sufferer of this architecture were the standing-layer,on the seat! They would start whimpering as soon as the car reaches their home, to collect them, in the morning. Most of the time, their tears & mucus (yea...it did!!!) would fall into the sitting-layer's heads. Now the third-layer(supposed to sit on sitting layer's lap) would get squeezed by the sitting layer's legs and their own legs. I remember one kid, who fell down and really got stuck under the seat.

 

As everywhere, bureaucracy existed in our school-car, too. The sitting layer were the manipulating politicians, who used standing layer for their own advantage. Those BIG kids would ask those smaller ones to be their 'chamcha', promising them good comfortable seats. They would ask them to bring roses, sweets, color bands or anything else that catch their eye and in return promise them 'seats'.(but those promises were never kept!). In fact a small but completely self-dependent society existed in out school-car. Except for the rare occasions of complaints from the smaller ones' moms, our society wasn't disturbed. 

 

I started as one among standing-layer and then promoted to the third layer(who could neither sit nor stand) and finally into the sitting layer.I cried my heart out when I was in standing-layer, and finally after 8 yrs when I reached "sitting age", I took advantage of my position. Small kids were scared of me. They called me "monster-deedi". I had a weird kind of satisfaction, by ruling over them, by punishing small-rowdies by not giving them seat, etc.

 

Most of them must have cursed me, then. Now, when I think about those poor kids, I feel very bad. But then I realize , wasn't I also a kid then??

22 comments:

  1. lol...i too wanna sit in that car...better say compact bus :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Swathi! This has opened my eyes so much! I will never look back and complain about riding the school bus EVER again! :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. School bus is pretty common transport system for most Indian schools and its reminding me of my school days when I was in my juvenile. I use to be in rush everytime to get my favourite sit in the bus. I remember drivers (and the helper) usually takes the major responsbility of picking and dropping of kids to their home.

    thanks
    Ranjan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ethara sundaram ee Swathi Kadhakal.

    thank you swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. swathzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
    lol I dunno 'bout this I never had xperiences in shool bus....I do commute since elementary 'till colleges but my friends and schoolmates did...tsk tsk tsk...I hope I xperienced this lol

    CHEEERS
    KRIZZZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. yaar so nice that you are sharing such nice experiences with us.... I had a different type of school bus but your experience reminded me of my scholl bus... keep it up...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Typical kerals school going...................lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swathi...
    You took us to your school bus and made us to travel along with you ...like a kid..it is really wonderful expression.I liked the way you explained, the architecture/tears and mucus(yukk...but what we can do we have to take it..or else where you will go...you have to sit in the bus..you have to go to the school...). At the end the finishing touch the entry of MONSTER DIDI( like dada in our movies..kidding to make fun out of it)...I liked it very much...I used to go to school by cycle..me and my sister will be driven by a person( I forgot his name...see how bad i am)...he used to make us sit on cycle and drive it to school which is 3kms distance ..we used to go in a road which used to cover beautiful sugar cane fields..we had a beautiful dam also on our way..I love my memories..after 30 years I visited that place once again...same fields...but different children...what a feeling...as helen keller said..most beautiful things on earth can never be touched they only can be felt...__Balaji

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks swathi....for taking me bak to my school

    ReplyDelete
  10. MADHOO---believe me, it wasnt such a good exp!! LOL

    GEEK GIRL---good! now u know certain facts, which can be worse, rite? LOL

    RANJAN---in bus and vans , we have helpesr, but in car, is there any xtra space for them???
    AJAYI---thanks, u makes mine sound like "V.K.N kathakal" LOL!

    SWEET_KRISTINE---think again,dear? do u really want to xprnce this kind??

    PRITS---thanks, alot!!

    CHANAKYA---yea,i think typical Indian. isnt it?

    BALAJI---thank u, so ,much! i meant sarcasm, cos from a kid's point of view, it was a nasty exprnce. but when u grow up, and find things more nasty,then u understand how nice,old ones were..LOL

    KRISHNA--back to school?? good!! and thanks, alot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol..that was a nice description...I always went to scchool by a tonga..(horse driven cart) as soon as I reached 9th std I had my own vehicle..

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Most of the time, their tears & mucus (yea...it did!!!) would fall into the sitting-layer's heads" If i would have to go in that bus i would pray to remain in the standing-layer, to avoid the free offert of tears and mucus.lol.
    All in all i think that now u remember ab ur School Bus with a smile on ur face.....it makes part of ur childhood, i really enjoyed reading ur blog Swathi
    Take care,
    Tanu

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like I missed lot of fun with the school bus :-(((
    I used to walk,as the school was very near to my house
    in our village...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our school bus was not do crowded but we did have to squish most of the time. I do feel badly for the small ones. How hard it must be to be small and have the larger kids pushing you around.--Lina

    ReplyDelete
  15. i miss all those experience:( i used to walk to my school, twas very near. nice narration:) but kids are kids.. want to go back to those days:(

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a beautiful read. It reminded me of the time when I did my primary schooling in India. Our transport used to be a auto-rickshaw. One benefit of this vehicle is whatever the "architecture" is there wont be any sort of suffocation. Problem used to be during rainy season when we all (except the ones sitting in middle) used to end up getting drenched in rain water.
    Those days were fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh ya...reminded me of school days...and i also used to travel by a van, not suffocating though and I remember, the driver uncle was so sweet to me inspite of all the pranks I used to play wid him....ya I wanna go back to those days:((
    ~~~Janu~~~The Awesome Eyed Princess

    ReplyDelete
  18. TANVI---tonga-wala, yea, i have seen that, too!

    TANIYA---thanks dear, yea, now i can smile,..but not then!!

    CHANDRA---u missed? no..u might have had some other fun, na?

    LINA---yea, smaller kids sufferd alot..

    PRIYA--thanks alot,dear!

    ASWATHIY---u too, in an auto??

    JANU---nostaligic?? ha ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. u reminde me of my school days but ,we used to go to school in rickshaw,in that our seating also is some what same as ur school car.till 5th class i used to go in that after that i got my own cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. swathi u reminds all of us..ours School days......o..god how precious those days were...

    ReplyDelete
  21. swathi nice blog school days when we think those things it always gives us some kinda pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like that ride could have been a bit dangerous, but at the same time, when thinking back on childhood memories, also sounds like they were good memories despite all the tears and the mucus. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...