Saturday 14 January 2006

My Cooking Confessions!


I have a confession to make!!! I am a very  disastrous cook! I know this is a very common confession. But the  impacts  are most terrifying, if its the adjective of an Indian wife like me!!! I am a single child, so naturally I didn't do what I didn't like, which included cooking. Even when my mom was sick, either my dad cooked (yea, he did!!!) or I adjusted with bread and jam for more than 3 days, thrice daily !!! Now even in my in-laws house, my mom-in-law cooked (I was damn lucky!!!).

 

But when I went to Ireland, things changed. I landed there with 7 cookery books and was pretty confident about putting those theory into practice. First 2-3 days my husband taught me cooking. As it was practical teaching, I didn't bother to write it down. Fourth day when he went for work, I decided to test my knowledge. When I started, I knew that it was not that easy.

 

First of all , I didn't know, where the ingredients were.

Secondly I didn't know which all the ingredients,I need.

And thirdly I wasn't so sure about the quantity of each one. 

 

So every 5 mts I used to call my husband to ask doubts. Unfortunately he was in a conference that time, and was extremely embarrassed to tell me what are the spices used and where r they and in which colored bottles they are. Somehow I made my first dish. Prawn curry in coconut milk(I used the cook book). In looks it was okay to me. When I thot I finished cooking, I just tasted it...and ARRRRRRGH it was horrible!. The most horrible thing that I have ever tasted in my life!!!! I didn't know what to do...my husband would come home for lunch, and this is the one, that I have made!!! I just poured it down the sink in a hurry, cos I didn't want to admit that I made it horrible, with my culinary skills!!!

 

After that, when he came, I told that the prawns we bought yesterday started stinking that I threw it away, from fridge! He had his lunch with yoghurt and pickle. I think he understood the whole story w/o me telling him, but he didn't embarrass me, by asking me about it. When he came back in the evening, he made dishes on his own, trying to drill into my head, the names and quantities of the ingredients,with inhuman patience!!  Anyway, after 1 week, I made 2-3 dishes, which could be eaten w/o much difficulty.

 

Now I am in India, and things are back to square one!!. After vacation, when I go back, I am scared about my further kitchen experiments and its disastrous results!!! And I think my husband is scared more than me!!!!!!

 

PS: I made the smoke alarm go off umpteen no:of times , that my husband had to replace it twice,after I came there!!

19 comments:

  1. I am fond of eating spicey dishes.Especially biryani.My mom cooks very well. But the person whom i was in love said she dint know cooking at all till 2 years back. Suddenly after she left india, one day i came to know she started cooking on her own. I was always worried i would be missing home made food after wedding. When she came india, i tasted her food one day b4 to wedding. she made chicken biryani. My parents were happy. I said to mom "Amma, i wil marry her atleast for the taste of biryani...i don need to run around restaurents". Madhu cooks very very well.

    Swathi, learn cooking from ur mother. she would be the best person to teach u well.and ur husband wil be very glad to c u cooking very well. Don't follow books. Instead of that get recipes from ur mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...I appreciate your frankness..but didnt like the lie u told your husband..u should have admitted the fact...sorry sometimes i write frankly..Balaji

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol Arvind I think u have written a sub-blog entry for swathi's blog. Swathi people say my recipes do work. Coz mine are open recipes...all ingrediants upto ur choice. And i cook food on my own experiments for example, if i eat something new, i wil recollect the taste of ingrediants included. I keep tryin it for 2 or 3 times. Then i wil learn that dish. I dint know atleast preparing tea while i was in india. Yes i too had failures man. And i learnt basic cookin from my friend vijay in sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. tht was a confession swathi :)
    i learnt cooking from my mom but i learned only the dishes which i love to eat :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. NANI---thanks,alot..now, i am serious about cooking,and my mom has written her recopes for me. my hubby is not as lucky as u r , i think! LOL
    BALAJI---that lie lasted only one day!i confessed to him, next day!
    MADHOO---thanks,dear! for me, i never think abt ingredients,when i eat!! but i wont quit!!! i will try and try, till i succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PRADEEP--even that is to be appreciated! u r far better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the best Swathi!!! Hope to have a nice dinner party(on your blog atleast). Keep trying,for the moment only ur hubbie has to suffer..

    ReplyDelete
  8. and the picture tells that you have coil cooking..that is even worse..flames are easier to manage...well cooking takes timee to sink in...you will definitely get better...all the best.
    yeah madhu's recipe is really open as she gave me the recipe of tamarind rice on behhalf of
    divyajali, and it was really flexible..so much so that I put some potatoes in it as well...but it turned out really tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  9. SWATHI...
    hmmm...not bad...just keep on trying as they say practiced makes perfect so keep on cooking if you love what are you doin' it will give a good result....Trust me....I remember when I was in the culinary school I just love cooking but I don't really know those damn spices so i need patience to be familiar in all kinds of of spices and those utensils and all stuff..day by day I learned those techniques of cooking...And you know what??? the real recipe how to enhanced the real good taste of food???it's not about procedure ...it is in you give your 100% dedication in what are you doin and give your love ingredients I assured you..your husband will be the most happiest husband in the whole world dont be nervous just keep on trying...and one day you will make it perfect..and if one day your husband asked you..."HON WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?" just simply say...oh..I add the LOVE ingredients..(((((SMILE)))

    (((((HUGS)))
    KRISTINE

    ReplyDelete
  10. CAME, TANVI, KRISTINE----thanks alot, for the boost. Actually today i made a a sweet dish made of thin banana slices, covered in maida, sugar and little salt and then deep fried in oil...and my dad says it tastes real good, that tomorrow also he needs that!!! isnt that make me a budding cook!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. TANVI---yes coil's heat is very difficult to control(my smoke alarms!!!). i dont know why but in Ireland,cooking gas is rare!
    KRISTINE---ur comment would actually give my husband faith in my cooking!! i will show it to him!! thanks alooot! anyway, i am NOT going to quit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh God! I never knew that so much technology is involved in cooking!!I relish good food,though I eat less.

    I know only how to make good coffee :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I pity ur hubby.Here ,the males are exploited.U gals use us for ur experiments.Makes us guinea pigs.
    My mom used do such experiments.My father used look at me helplessly.Here is the situation even the most outspoken men keeps mum or else............lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. CHANDRA--great u makes good coffee,atleast!!
    CHANAKYA---theres always an option, ie cook urself, like my husband and my father and PRADEEP. i think u too should try that, so that u wont feel as guinea pig.what do u think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. i tried a lot of times 2 cook good food, but never succeeded.....oh god cooking tests my patience

    ReplyDelete
  16. swathi....
    yea..great!!! banana chips are very famous here in the philippines nice to know that you are goin progressived in cooking..if you need some tips in cooking i'm just here..Im not that good but then based on my xperienced and on my work as a CHEF I can give you some hints or try some filipino dishes i'll give some good and quality recipe and I assured you to love it...

    CHEERS...
    KRISTINE

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahaha.. same here.. keep trying though..you will be perfect one day.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor Swathi! I'm sorry you are having a hard time with this....I, too, was not skilled at cooking when I first married and made some pretty awful messes...lol. You will get better at this....try to start with very simple things (small amount of ingredients) that don't require too many steps, and try not to be nervous....you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. All the best for Good Cooking, everyone gave u sugestion for better cooking so i will say take care while cooking....

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...