Monday 23 January 2006

Our Rana Dynasty!!!


The first Rana, I ever remember had reddish brown patches in his white skin. He was our dog, in my mom's house, where I was born. In fact he was 5 yrs elder to me!!! Achachan  never used to tie him up. So he was a free bird(dog!!). Not much of a pedigree, he was not a pure mutt either! He was achachan's pet (he named him too!!). He used to call him "mone" which meant baby-boy in malayalam. The main thing I remember about him is his behavior in Diwali day. He was so scared of fireworks and crackers, that before him, I felt (when I was 3) like a big courageous heroine!!. Usually he was not allowed inside our house. But all the Diwali days were so special to him , that the whole night, he would be under some body's bed !! On Diwali, after locking  Rana inside our house, we used to go and light crackers, outside!!

 

I didn't like his name when I started going to school. Cos every single friend of mine had a "tiger" or "ronnie" or "jimmy" or "tommy" as their pet, while mine was "Rana" Image. I complained to achachan that its a disgrace to me, that my dog doesn't have an Anglican name. Then he told me that it was "Rana Pratap's  " name(who was a Rajput King!), and that the word "Rana", meant king, in Hindi/Marathi.  He said that I should be proud, that our dog bore the name of an Emperor, while others dogs where ordinary "tom, dick and harry", kinds. Image Any way I didn't feel much better, cos I knew less about Rana Pratap, then!

 

Rana died in an accident, -- a hit and run!! My parents didn't allow me to see his dead body. Me and my cousin were locked inside our house, while they buried Rana's body in our compound! I was just turning 4, then.

 

After that, some months later, a puppy was brought to us. No one had any objection in naming him, this time. He was Rana-II, making the beginning of a dynasty, in our home. Again , that was achachan's idea! Rana-II was complete reddish-brown, with dark brown nose. He was younger to me, also (I was glad, cos,  Rana-I sometimes  used to give me a look, as if he knew everything!!!Image). Now this puppy was so noisy and cried and cried all the night. We gave him bread soaked in milk. I don't know how, but he grew up so suddenly!! This time,our Rana was well-bred. He was chained at daytime and freed at night. He wasn't afraid of Diwali crackers too. His ears, were folded (formers' ears were upright!). But he used to lick us, and I screamed when he did so!

 

He was there with us for 12 yrs and died of old age.Image By that time, I had moved to dad's house and then to hostels.

 

Now theres Rana-III at my mom's house. He is a kid(2 yr old), cos, we didn't have any dog for a long time, after Rana-II. This Rana-III, is little bit furry with a dirty muddy color. His eyes are like two transparent-yellow globes. His looks are those of  sledge-dogs, with a pointed face. When I saw him, what came into my mind was that of a jackal. As he is not familiar with me, he is not very friendly, when I go there. And he is very selfish. If I try to sit on my cousin's swing, he would not allow me. When I start to go towards the swing, he would run and lay himself just under the swing, preventing me from sitting on it. I have never seen so much, selfish dogs!!!.Image And he would not eat, his food, if strangers (like me) are looking at him.  He is also not afraid of fire-crackers.

 

When we were kids, achachan used to tell us that Rana-I is our brother. Even now, my cousin, who is 27, addresses our Rana-III, as her brother!!!Image

 

 

19 comments:

  1. unbeatable dynasty...we used to have four dogs at home...I played with them, one died because of age. That day myself and my younger bro cried alot and dint eat food for few days. Dad slowly let we people outta habit being with dogs and given the remaining 3 to one of my relatives. Now I am planning to get a puppy. But the house where I am staying in,pets r not allowed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swathi >:D< thank u so much for this blog, i read with so much pleasure and i was really caught into ur story, I am "official" pet lover (though my mom isn't:S ).
    While i was little my parents (i'd rather say my dad), brought me and my bro a little puppy(saint bernadr), we named her Naida-we all loved her sooooo much (even my mom), but unfortunatelly we had to leave the country we were living in at that time(Moldova) & we couldn't bring her with us :(, i always miss her and remeber with a smile on my face ab her, but i always visit visit her whenever i go to my homecountry, she is a bit old now after 6 years, but she is still my Naida, and i love her a lottttt
    it really made my day reading ur blog, thank u Swati
    love,
    Tanu:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a neat story, Swathi! Thank you for the smiles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. swatzzzz..
    he he he you have THE LEGEND DOG IN HISTORY hmmmm...I have 2 dogs in my home now I call them "BUCTHOY" mean fat and the one is TYSON co'z the first day I took him home he bite BUCTHOY ear...he he he pets are nice they are my playmates if i feel alone and I love them so much....I love psts I have also birds in my home actually 32 birds 2 dogs and 3cats lol...thanks for sharing you unbeatable legendary dogs he he he ......


    krizzz

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have the nicest way and talent to put the memories into simple words more than the words (you are like rajnikanth rather than kamal, hehe what i meant is you can reach masses), i liked your way of telling a point in the simplest way possible, but i wonder and would like to see how and what you are going to blog when you would be done with writing all your memories

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank god No one from Ran PRataap's dynasty knows about your rana dynasty. ONce Mandira Bedi had to face big problems with Gurudwara for naming her dogs with panjabi names.... LOL... Anyways really nice account of life... Everyone who touches your life, is a part of your life...

    ReplyDelete
  7. MADHOO--nie to know that u too r a dog-lover. even in Ireland, where i am staying, pets are not allowed. :-(

    TANIYA---thank you, so much.cheers fir Naida.

    GEEK GIRL---thank u..:-)

    SWEET_KRISTINE---i liked the way u named him TYSON :-)... very funny!

    KISHORE---thanks for ur description of "reaching the masses!", the best compliment,i ever got,on my blogs! when i am done with memories?? if u notice, till now, i tell only incidents which happened till I was 15.i dont think, i will run out of memories. cos memories made me and are still making me. hey, i really liked the "Rajnikanth" thing!

    PRITS--i didnt know abt the Mandira Bedi incident! thank god,they didnt hear mine.yea, everyone, touches my life, is part of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FRIENDS---i need a suggestion.one of my regular readers told me that i put lots of (!) in my blogs, which is not appropriate. i would like to know,how u feel? is it ok, OR does it make it look "overall impression of a excited
    gushing childish narrative"---as he said???
    love,
    swathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaaa the whole rana dynasty is at ur home,very nice, ur rana I has reminded me of my big dog pinky,it is an alsehsan,it looks so big and huge whenever diwali season comes her address will be under the sofa in the hall lol!!.our pinky also dead due to some heart prob.very nice blog i enjoyed it very much,i love dogs very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I think you will make a good school teacher :-)) ... my dog was called "Moti "... and I used to feel the same way... u know not having a tommy.. tiger ... etc..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Swathi,
    Ab the (!) u mentioned above, i noticed u use them but it doesn't bother me at all, i love how u tell ab some thing or another in ur blogs, for me the most important is too understand the message u r sending and not at all where u put ur last "(!)", "." or ","
    I honestly enjoy a lot ur blogs as they r.
    Love,
    Tanu

    ReplyDelete
  12. swatzzzzz...
    I dont think it's a problem...it's okey as long as we uderstand the main story of your blogs..It'doesn't matter we are just here for having fun not for mastering the good english or putting some qoutation or whatever
    unless we enjoy reading your blogs...just keep it up my dear buddy BEBE....

    cheers
    krizzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  13. i used to hate history in my school days....:))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Swathy,I too had a dog,her name was "Ruby".A pom ,pretty and very cute.She was a mix of black & White.My father bought her for my sis who was then 7 yrs .Ruby was with us for 12 yrs.One day ,as she had become old and had skin probs,my father gave her to somebody,that too when me & my sis was away ......This is the 1st time ,I am speaking out my feeling for our "Ruby"..After that No dogs or Pets at all.
    After that,there was a hen (Not a pet),a girirajan variety.Well,this hen would come and rub on legs as the cats do.She was not at all afraid.She used come running to me .That was her way of asking me for food.Actually there were 2 hens.the other used lay eggs.Again my father became the villain.I had gone for a trip .I told my parents ,the Hen should be alive till I come back coz I 've seen my father looking at in a crooked manner. When I came back ,I was served Chicken curry .After 'ving food ,when I enquired about the Hen ,my father told me"Sonny,U just had it for dinner" .......god,I was so furious.........

    ReplyDelete
  15. TANU, KRIZZZZ----i think ur reply,would answer him!! thanks alot, guys!
    PRAVEEN, RAGHUNATH---thanks alot...
    KRISHNA---did u?
    CHANAKYA---that would have made a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. swathi, your story on Rana Dynasty!!! is good.
    what i feel is Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Swathi ur narration for blog is v. nice....don't listen others....do... what u like......take care..

    ReplyDelete
  18. swathi nice blog.dogs are the good friends for humans.
    then regarding ur question abt ! nothing to worry we are not any kinda writers.we are doing for our own satisfication and fun.keep blogging !

    ReplyDelete
  19. My dog is my morning alarm.... we get a good time pass with its funny habbits...

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...