Thursday 19 January 2006

To the most beautiful person, of my world !!!!!



I called my granddad 'achaachan', which literally meant dad's dad, when he was technically, my mom's dad! Mom says its he who taught me to call him 'achachan'. He had only 2 grand-daughters- me and my cousin. May be as I was eldest, who made him 'feel' granddad for the first time, I was his favorite. He was born in 1908 (ooohh!!! That was almost one century back!!!). I know the year so well, cos he used to work as Head Constable in, British Police(before 1947) and later in Indian police. But, he never had that 'police-moustache' which was so common, that days!) He was always clean-shaven!.

I don't know how he served so many years in Police!!!. Cos with his character it was impossible to handle criminals!! Mom says he asked transfer to Railway Police, so that he can have more peace at heart, there !!(may be crime was less in Railway!!). He told me tons and tons of stories, but not even a SINGLE police-story!!! His (and my) favourite was numerous Ramayana and Mahabharatha stories. In fact since I remember, till, I was 15, I slept only with him. He was 69 yrs old, when I was born!! It was because, he married at the age of 40! I loved him(still do!) more than anyone in this world...(more than my parents!). Whenever I think about him, what comes into my mind is the smell of lifebuoy soap(old one!) mixed with some ayurvedic oil, which he used to massage into his knees. He always smelt that. My mom used to scold me telling that, I cant sleep, unless I get that smell in my nostrils!

Early morning at 5 am, he would wake up and after a strong Brooke-Bond green label coffee (for me, too!), start watering coconut trees and roses and every single plant in our somewhat big compound!!! That too by drawing water from the well, himself (he was 73yrs,then). There was a small bucket for me, in which he would pour one mug, for me to water smaller plants. By 8 am, we would have finished watering every single plant! Then we will have breakfast, and he retires to his old house, which was in the same compound, with me. That old house, was thatched with coconut leaves and he used it as his resting room. It was built by his dad(again another century back!!!)

My mom was a child-beater, like every mom. LOL!!. She used to punish me for small things, even when I was 2 or 3 yrs old. One day , when I was 4 or5 , she tied me in a window-sill and thrashed me like hell. (I don't remember what offence, I did!!). I screamed aloud, cos as I was tied up, I cudnt even protect myself using my hands. Next thing, I remember is achachan running towards me, from his 'rest-house'. He grabbed mom's cane from her, pushed her away so hard that she almost fell and freed me...!!! I remember that day, when achachan's eyes turned bluish-grey (it happens, when he is extremely angry!!) and he roared at amma, with glaring eyes!. He didn't eat anything for 2 days and didn't speak to amma for weeks. Anyway after that incident amma, didn't tie me up, again!!! (but she continued ,beating me!!!).

At 15, when I moved to my dad's home, I saw achachan cry , for the first and last time in my life!!! He died on May1,2004, when I was attending a job-interview, which I got on the 10th day of his demise. He was 96, then, and had lost all his memory. When I visited him, on his death-bed, my aunt used to ask me to cut his nails. Astonishingly, he didn't allow others to touch his nails, (used to get really irritated and angry!!!). Eventhough he didn't appear to recognise me at all(used to look at me blankly), he never flinched when I took his hands in mine!!!

I didn't cry, when he was taken for cremation. Not even a single, drop of tear came from me, cos I know he would never die inside me, as long as the smell of lifebuoy soap and oil, is there! I can exchange my parents in my next birth, but I need my same 'achachan' again!!!

PS: He named me 'swathi'.

28 comments:

  1. Swathi, that is a very nice story about your achachan....you were blessed to have had him in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can related it.. well, what say - my grandpa just died 2months back and he was 83.. i was his first grand-son.. so we shared special bond.. i wasn't there next to him when he passed-way but i couldn't hold my tear.. alone in my room miles ways.. sometime we really take things/people for granted and its requires there absence to see how special there are..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wonder how Swathi can tell us very beautiful story`s
    Now I can see the Great Achaachan behind of Swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He had very aptly named you as Swathi.
    It is so nice of you to remember the elders !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. u know swathi while reading u...i remember my dadajee.....well... i pray for peace of his soul....take care...

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice achaachan rt,i too got memories of my grandpa,u can be a good writer,its very impressive what u wrote in blog some what touching story about ur achaachan,i can fell how much u miss him,may god bless his soul,takecare

    ReplyDelete
  7. GEEKGIRL,thanks...yea, i was blessed to have him, as my achachan.

    IAMYUVA, very true! but u know, death happens in our minds!!! when u dont think abt them, any more, they are dead. but when a single day, wont go by, w/o their memories, they r very much alive, inside our heart!

    AJAYI, thanks! i inherited alot from him, including his asthma, LOL!

    CHANDRA, he named me after my star,swathi! i was so close to him, that i forgot that there was an entire generation b/w me and him!

    ANU, thanks, yaar!

    PRAVEEN, thanks. this blog, is the one which will be very near to my heart,always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so touching.... really nice of you to share it with us...

    ReplyDelete
  9. very touching one. you got rite words to express ur feelings

    ReplyDelete
  10. he is now .. not only ur achachan.... now he is our achachan also... my prayer for him in that good world

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmm.....plzz attach one pic of your achachan...
    anyway it was an intersting blog to read...even i had a good feelin of my appappan same as ur achachan whn i read ...
    keep goin cheachii

    ReplyDelete
  12. swathzzzzzzzzzz...
    It's so touching I hope I'm good in writing too...but my grandfather was dead I even dont know his face
    but my grandmother is still alive at the aged of 107...I was thinking to wrote a story 'bout her..co'z I grew up w/ her and I LOVE her soooo much...I will cry for sure if she will gone..but still hoping that she will live long more...you know what???? untill now she can took care of herself she so strong and when I visited her last month we went to the mall and she can walk fast really>>>.he he he my granda is ROCKKKKKKK.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swathi u were really blessed with ur achaachan, my both grandfathers died when i was still very little but looking at the pics i have a light in my heart, bcoz they r alive whenever i talk ab them or think ab them.
    Take care and may god bless his soul

    ReplyDelete
  14. its very nice u had a gran'dad like him...i wish even i had a gran'dad like tht.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. grand dad...a good role model

    ReplyDelete
  16. PRITS--thanks alot...

    MADHOO--(blush!) thank u..

    FADI--yea,he is everbody's achachan, now!

    RAKHU-- aniyaa(litl brother, cos he called me "chechi"-elder sis), i will post his pic..as i dont have digital one, got to scan some rare photos...will post it soon!

    SWEET_KRISTINE--107 yrs old..when u grow up with them they become a prt of ur life...i pray ur grandma live the longest of all...

    TANIYA---thanks alot...

    JYOTHI---he is urs too..ie y i shared all these, na?

    KRISHNA--thanks alot!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My sweet wife,Its excellent story,touching , I am proud of you my dear wife
    sajeevan achuthan

    ReplyDelete
  18. i know its diffclt to get appreciation from u dear,thanks it means alot to me...
    love,
    swathi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Swathi,that was wonderful blog ,reminded me of my grand parents.Used to call my dad's mother "ammama",when I should be calling her "Achamma".lol!I & my cousins used give her headaches when I used visit her ,my native place.Place of full of backwaters.....lol! I am inspired .Well,I will post my mom's family pix in her ancestral home with her parents & grand parents.She was 9 yrs when the pix was taken,Now she is 72yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The way you have written is sooo damn good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow...that is really sweet...i wish i had been able to spend that kind of time and devotion with my grandfather.--Lina

    ReplyDelete
  22. CHANAKYA, ASWATHI, LINA----thanks alot!!! i think lots of my frnds remember lots of things cos of my blogs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. You do a nice narration Swathy. Felt like watching everything than reading. Best wishes for you to become a writer. This is a great Indian family system that gives us lots of opportunities to value people. You had in your achachan more than a good friend. I am sure his soul will be around you and will always protect you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bittersweet. **Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  25. One thing i noticed is the attachment You had with Your Achaachan...and it was obvious in "...with me..." that You've added to almost every incident You mentioned.
    He would be really Happy to have You as His Grand daughter and You...its obvious again :)
    And I'm happy for You too

    ReplyDelete
  26. i played with sm kids when my achachan passed away! but cryed when i went to sleep! I use to sleep with him, i wasnt aware he'll never sleep with me. I was in sm kinder garden then.

    ReplyDelete
  27. very touching,swathi...you are really a sweet heart.hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really touched... Great narration...:):)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...