Monday 9 January 2006

Their brother Rajiv!


A boy who is always remembered for Rajiv Gandhi, lives near my mom's house where I was born and brought up for 15 yrs..I know him personally,as we grew up together. There was a colony at the back of our old house, where ppl lived by selling cow's milk. They were very poor and lived in very bad condition. And one family was just behind our wall, from whom we used to buy milk. She had 3 daughters. The youngest of all was of my age. So my mom always used to ask about them to her. One day she was admitted to medical college hospital for some 3 days, due to fever. When she came back, there was a new-born baby boy with her. Now that was news for us!!!. My mom asked her whose baby it was and the story she told was unbelievable but true.

 

While she was admitted there, a young girl and her mom came to the hospital for delivery. She was admitted next to her bed,and they were planning to leave the baby in hospital and run away (it happens frequently!). Somehow our milk-woman came to know about their plan, from their conversation. As she had 3 daughters, she always wanted to have a son. She told her that if the baby is boy, she can take him. And when she delivered the baby(which was a boy!) our milk-woman took him and gave the baby's mom 100rs/- !!!!!

 

When she came back home, she took the baby with her. My mom couldn't believe that she had actually bought that baby for 100Rs/-. She named him Rajiv, on memory of our then PM, Rajiv Gandhi. Now Rajiv always stood out among the crowd. He was very fair, had brown hair, brown eyes and even brown eyebrows, while his family members were all very dark. When he was 5 yrs old, one day I saw him in a near by shop. I didn't know, how others treated him, till then. The shopkeeper and his assistant, told him "do u know, kid, ur price was just 100/-", "who is ur father, kid?" etc etc...he just looked them with blank , puzzled eyes, while all others laughed!!!!!

 

I ran home and told my mom what happened in the shop! She told me that I shud never listen to what ppl say, and shud never treat Rajiv badly!! She told me that he is our milk-woman's son, no matter what others say! After that incident I always saw Rajiv with wonder. His sisters treated him like king, while others laughed at him...he was a very pleasant, handsome boy..My mom had doubts whether he would run away cos of the ppl who laughed at him and made his life impossible.

 

2 days back, when I went there, I asked my aunt about him. And what she told was unbelievable. He is working in Dubai now, 22 yrs old and still with his (adopted) parents. He is still the gem of that family, and his sisters are all married now, with his help! I asked her how does he look now(he was 8 yrs old, when  I left that place!). She told me he is the most handsome guy there!!!!

What my aunt told is this: " Rajiv's character is far better than guys who have legal parents!, he is better than the sons of ppl who made fun of him as kid!". I wanted to see him, but cudnt...don't know if ever I cud see him, at all!!!!

7 comments:

  1. who can get that type of son for 100rs,very lucky parents

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant understand y society is bothered abt these kinda things. I have seen so many times, family and adopted child are happy, but society wants to mess up the things...Thse parents are very lucky and the boy is the luckiest to get such a caring mother and sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. good one.

    kudos to rajiv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh thts nice incident swathi i would say tht those parents who adopted rajiv is lucky.
    sad part is still there are lotof ppls who abandon their child in streets and roads.when these things gonna change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep ....need to learn alot from his story

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swathi ...It is really very interesting incident. Yes we do meet people after long gap, sometimes such type of joy can never be counted. It is a very good habbit to go around and see our childhood friends/the places where we lived..I really enjoy..I do the same way....Rajiv incident ( i am not terming it as story as it is not story)..is good..thanks for bringing it to us..Balaji

    ReplyDelete
  7. PRAVEEN, MADHU, VENKI,PRADEEP, RAKHU, u r all right...i studied alot from this incident(not a story!), ppl say "blood is thicker than water" , but i would say "NO"...its not always!!! if God allows, i too would like to adopt a kid!!

    BALAJI...its a very true incident and i have used his real name in this. if ever he reads this, i am sure, he wont sue against me, cos we literally grew up together! The most interesting part is that,after 14 yrs, grown-ups failed to recognise me, but my childhood pals came to me calling my name!!!
    -swathi

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...