Tuesday 6 November 2007

There is a first time for....


So, what is the big deal? It will be just like your first day in school. You don’t have to worry. You will be fine.

But what if I couldn’t learn it like others. What if the instructor asks me to quit and go home? What if I can never learn it in my life? What if I fail?

But you learned driving and cycling. This will be just like that. You just keep calm.

Ok. I am keeping my calm. O God! Please help me conquer this fear. This is very important for me, please help me learn it. I am desperate to learn this.

Remember, keep your calm. Breathe.. ok. Breathe. Hooooooo…..

I am not scared. There is nothing to worry. Everything will be fine.

Jacuzzi relaxes me. Gushing hot water massages every tired joint in my body. Wow! I think I will sleep in the Jacuzzi. Its 7:55 pm. Only 5 more minutes. Will I be the only person who doesn’t know anything? Will there be others like me who are totally scared?

Ok, instructor came. No, I don’t want to get out of Jacuzzi. I don’t want to go to the pool. I don’t want to drown myself. But then how will I overcome this fear? I have to do this.

I walk out of Jacuzzi, shower and go to him.

“Are you the one going to take swimming class?”

“Yes.”

“But, I am so scared of water. I am absolutely terrified”

“Don’t worry, you will be fine”

“Will I be?”

“Yes. Trust me”. He smiles. He is handsome.

God, first I need to learn to trust this “Handsome Hal”. I can’t even trust him.

Learn to trust him, Swathi. Learn to trust him. Your life is in his hands for one hour.

“Do, you want to hop into the water or do you want to walk through the steps”

Hop into the pool? No way!! Thanks, I will walk.

Water is really cold. It is 2 deg C outside. Usually the water is much more warm. I am shivering. I just have to get used to the temperature of water. Breathe… swathi.. breathe…take long breaths.

We all have this blue floating-aids. Its just a small square piece of sponge. That’s all. Will that really hold my weight?

“Now, among you guys, who are all absolutely scared of water?”

My hand shoots up. May be he will give me a life jacket, now. (!)

No. He didn’t. ‘Handsome Hal’(aka HH) just smiles. Why is he smiling always, when I am terrified?

“Now, the first lesson - be comfortable in putting your face under water. Open your eyes while doing that”

What! Putting my face under water? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I can’t do it. I will die.

HH, asks everybody to do it. Everybody is doing it fine. HH is looking at me.

“Now you, Swathi”. I cant. I will die, if I do it.

“It will be fine. Trust me Swathi”

Trust you? How I can I trust you. I don’t even know you.

“Now, try it, Swathi”

Blank your mind. Let it go. Even if you die, HH will be arrested. It will be his entire fault.

There is nothing in my mind for one second. I take my breath, put my face down, inside the water and push myself into it. No. No. This is not what I expected it to be. I am drowning. Where is he? I grab HH’s arm, as hard as I could. I lose my balance and can’t feel my feet on the floor, anymore. I am hanging on to him. I cant breathe. I gasp harder and grab on to him, more. My life depends on him now. He is dear to me than anything else in the world at that moment(!). I open my mouth for breath and drink pool water instead of air. Water goes inside my mouth, nose and my ears go pop, as they fill with water. Great! Now I cant even hear what he is telling me to do. I am going to die.

“Its OK. You can hold on to me. I am here for you, swathi. I am here”

Seconds pass. I cant breathe. I cough and gasp hard.

“I wont leave you. You can hold on to me”

No, still I cant breathe. I gasp harder. The entire pool is echoing with my gasp.

“Its ok. Take it slowly. Slowly. Don’t be nervous, You can hold on to me. I am not leaving you”

Great! I am creating a big drama here. Every body is looking at me. I am kicking and gasping while holding on to him.

“Are you ok?”

What do you think? Can’t you see? Didn’t I tell you, that I would die.

After one minute or so, I can breathe again. I leave my hold on him.

Came back sheepishly to poolside. As expected, made a big fool of myself. Great! Now everyone knows that I am truly a big loser in swimming .

Next it is trying to float. I copy HH when he shows me how to float. Surprisingly I am floating effortlessly with my face under water. How can it be? Last time I was gasping for air. I come back to the lady near me and ask her “How did I float? Did he hold me?” She smiles. “Yes, he held you. But its OK, you did well”. Yea, I did well(!). Along with floating aid, if ‘Handsome Hal’ holds me, I can float anyway. God! Will I ever do this thing myself?

Next it is pushing in to the water and kicking. No, I can’t kick inside water. I am going down. I am kicking vertically where I have to kick horizontally. But I am not going horizontally at all. Again, HH comes to help. He holds my floating aid and guides me.

“Excellent. See it’s not as bad as it seems to be”

I know I am pathetic. Don’t try to make me feel good. Without holding on to you, I can’t even float!

The lady near me says, ”You are doing great! By the end of six classes you will be swimming”

I ask her “How do you do the pushing into water, so elegantly, not even without a splash!”

“Don’t compare with me. I already know swimming. I joined the class to swim properly” she winks!

Great! Now, I know why I am kicking and gasping and holding on to ‘Handsome Hal’ for dear life, while all others are so smooth!

Now HH wants to throw the floating aid away and go into water. OK
, This time, I really am going to die. He says, “Trust me. I will hold you”. I try. But, I go down. He makes me try again. He is asking me to look into his knees to have my chin position correct. I am frantically searching for his knees underwater. Where are his goddamn knees! Using one of my legs, I push the wall and use that force to move half way through water. In that force, I push HH away who was ready to hold me and he gets hit hard by me.

“whoooooaaa!” I can hear him, yell. I knocked him down!

Great! There is a saying in Malayalam * “onnukil aasaante nechanthu, allengil kalarikku purathu”. I think that saying is written clearly for me. If I am not drowning and gasping, I will be knocking down my instructor!

Some how, one hour is over. Finally I can breathe air instead of water now. HH says, “Practice with floating aids, till next Monday. Be in the pool as long as you can. You were all excellent”. Yea, if I wasn’t there, everyone was excellent!


NOTE: If any body has kids who haven’t learnt swimming yet, please, please, I beg you to teach them. If not, as an adult, they are prone to make a big fool of themselves by trying to learn.


* Its about the martial art , Kalari. The literal meaning is [as a worst student of Kalari ] you will perform Kalari either on your teacher’s chest, or outside the place where it is supposed to be done”. (I am not very good in translation. so, please bear with me)



Latest update: I went for aqua aerobics(yes, the same old one!), yesterday . HH was the instructor for that too. Susannah told me that she and HH were discussing about me all the while before I came. I didn't dare to ask her what they discussed. (can imagine!). When I saw the raised eyebrows of HH, I told him why I was terrified of water ( a very frightening experience in a 6 ft deep pool, 5-6 yrs back, in India). He told me "You were the only true beginner, in yesterday's class. Rest of the guys knew swimming"... Phewww!




Hubby's comment(he came yesterday): When I started learning swimming, I drank so much of water that my friends had to make me lie on my stomach and squeeze all the water out. And it happened a lot of times. You are much better Swathi, that you didn't stoop into that level.

***Now, I know why I love this man. He has a knack of making me feel better out of any embarrassing situation***




My conclusion: I am not that bad. I really AM not!



30 comments:

  1. *trying to keep a straight face* My sympathies to HH of course!! You kicked him!! Ha ha ha!! BTW, I don't know swimming either. I have no business laughing at you!! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha ha..

    sorry swathi, but i cant stop laughing.. my colleagues r looking at me, y i'm laughing so hard.. sorry :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't also stop laughing swathi! :)

    Swimming can be dangerous!. I was in kerala last month. I do not know how and why I forgot to swim, but my overconfidence nearly got me drowned. Be careful!

    Happy swiming!

    namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discontinued my swimming class two yrs back...still trying to get back to the pool...

    ReplyDelete
  5. bravo swatz.. itz teh way to go. you can do it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. keep trying im sure u WILL learn how to swim dear. All the best :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl you are getting from funny to really hilarious in your narrative!! Every time you get the jitters just think of handsome Hal the hunk and you'll be back next Monday. Good luck Swathi, worth the effort. Its a great exercise, great for the abs and strong hand muscles!! ;-). I am throwing swimming party for you when we all meet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like fun...if not for you, then for HH for sure:D :P

    Well, even I can swim but I splash a lot of water and cannot swim for long distance. I think even I need swimming lessons...may be next year!

    Have fun with your swimming classes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hei Swathi

    HEHEH!! LOL & LOL again!! Hilarious
    Poor thing...
    We had to know swimming in Lapland before going to school,
    so i learned to swim at 7.
    Keep blogging... HUGZ

    PS
    What about a pic on HH, so that we can all admire him?!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very courageous of you! I think maybe after a year with a flotation device, I might be able to do something...
    Meanwhile I remember when I was eight and we were going to learn to swim at summer camp. The counselor said touch your ankles - I could not put my head in the water lke that, so drastically, and I started to cry, so she said just go over there, and that was the end of the swimming lessons for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oru cheriya change in banana talk (pazham chollu)... it should be "onnukil aashande nenjathu, allenkil poolinu purathu"

    swathi!!! floating aadyam padikku...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swathi, remember I learnt swimming at the age of 31, and as a mother of two kids. And there can be nobody, just nobody as terrified of drowning as I was... Really, just face your fear and conquer it. I know easier said than done, so take baby steps. First get your hand-arm and feet-legs strokes right and then try without a floatie (we had a barbell kind of thing that we could tuck under our chin).

    Good luck to you. This is going to be a BIG accomplishment. And my kids are already into the pool Nadia can swim unaided, Myra is getting comfortable. But I will make sure they learn it in childhood only.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am NOT learning how to swim....i am terrified.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, you are not bad, but you are better than many otehrs :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. shail: i didnt know that this was so much funny, until i saw my husband falling from bed, laughing after my narration. it must be really entertaining, as i havent seen him laugh so hard.

    Vinita: dont be sorry... my hubby thinks he hasnt laughed like this for weeks.

    deeps: i will swim one day. my dream is taking laps thru the pool. i am just waiting..

    sunder: if u love water, u must get back... some ppl doesnt like water.

    anoop: I WILL do it... u just watch...

    amrita: i WILL amrita... i am NOT going to quit..

    manju: I will be in the swimming party, for sure... i am NOT going to quit, after all these embarassment!

    tanvi: i think HH had fun in my embarassment, cos i heard from others that they are talking about me. the ladies who are taking the class with me already know swimming, but they want to make it better!

    Rii: I now proclaim that India MUST adopt that law from Lapland, to avoid this kind of situations in future!
    PS: I am not using HH's real name cos if i did, you could find him in the net. **grins**

    djd: ((((hugs)))))) its just cos of my age that i didnt cry when i put my head in water. ITS IS SOOOOOO SCARY! but i desperately wanted to ovrecome that fear.

    anooj: anooj nokkikko.... i will write a blog about doing laps in the pool before March 2008. This is my "bheeshma prathinja". another "banana talk " i use now: enthayaalum nanaju, ini nannaaayi kulichitte kerunnullu!

    Sabiha: i always... always thought abt u, before i joined the class. YOU ARE MY ENCOURAGEMENT. I told my husband, if Sab can do it, then I can. even yday, i was imagining you doing butterfly strokes, while i was gasping! you wont believe, u r my driving force!

    rajashree: its not really that bad, dear... its some kind of re-assurance that u wont die, when thrown in water.

    ReplyDelete
  16. anoop: i TOTALLY agree with u... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hei Swathi

    Haha!! Good that you are tackling this challenge head-on. GO GAL!!
    Your hubby is soo encouraging to you with these words. Aaahhhh.. Tweet.
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice Read..

    During the days learning swimming may be long breaths stocked inside, closing the nose with right hand and just trying to sit down inside the water for a few seconds mostly alienates fears to go into deeper waters. Comfort level perhaps shall be more (without the fear of drowning nor of drinking water) if water is only at neck level. The ponds in Kerala usually offer this comfort level for slowly alienating the fears with varying water levels as one moves from edge to the centre.

    Perhaps not applicable to swimming pools with constant water level.

    SAI RAM

    ReplyDelete
  19. seee...who told ya ur bad at swimming?? ONLY U AND NO ONE ELSE!! People who think they can get wat they want :)..I knw it sounds too philosophical from my side..but its true da..and go learn tht thing..make urself proud!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet of your hubby...I can very well relate to it...Sachin does the same thing...HH is actually HH!;) Although a full profile in bigger resolution would have been better..he he he ;)

    Have fun! I am sure you will come out as a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  21. HH is quite an eye candy. Where did you get his pic?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rii: thanks dear... ((((hugzzz))))

    jk: welcome to my page. thank you for commenting. u r correct about the ponds in kerala. my husband learned swimming there. so he wasnt scared. and yes, here in pool i cant expect that kind of comfort level.

    amrita: thanks dear!

    tanvi: i took his profile photo.. i have some ethical probs in using his photo w/o his permission. :-)

    sabiha: isnt he? took his profile photo. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL, now I am quite envious that you hit an "eye-candy". read this on multiply first so left you a comment there.

    ReplyDelete
  24. :-O saw HH's pic..my badluck tht he is not in Delhi :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. HH is handsome indeed...All the best for your further classes

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hahahaha! To tell you the truth.......When I was reading first few lines....wanted to shooooooooout at HH to push you into the pool straightaway....

    its fun to read your experience and the way you have narrated is too good. What next??

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like you had a lovely time ha ha. I do not swim either. Good luck with your classes and by all neans......hang on to HH......just for fun.
    A great read Swathi!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Swathi... u r not at all bad.. if someone says that u r bad then give him a kick (winks)

    and for doing laps i dont think u will have to wait till march 2008, two months is more than sufficient... just that you have to build your stamina. all the best...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I don't know how to swim, but I splashed in the sea last weekend !!! Granted, it was low tide but we had to go far in ... no one in our group knew swimming ! My mother heard it and commented, " Fools rush in ..." :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't know how to swim either.I was in a very embarassing situation last march when we went to Tobago for a trip.I too wish to learn swimming,but I'm very scared.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...