Saturday 17 February 2007

The beginning of Nyctophobia


Some habits of us last for a life time, while some change drastically or even turn into extreme opposite, after some incidents.

Till I was 23, I was never ever afraid of darkness. I mean I didn’t have any problem roaming in terrace alone, even at 2am midnight, in a new moon day. It started when I was in 10th and had to study late night. I used to sleep at 7pm and then get up at 12 and then study. Sometimes I went to terrace to study. I didn’t know what fear was…. Till….

*************************************************************************

I used to be in this hostel, which was attached to a convent. It had acres of land around it and there were missing compound walls too. We also didn’t have a security guard. Our room was very small and congested and stuffy with almost zero air-flow. It was a single room, turned into double, by pushing two cots into the place of one, naturally for more profit. As me and my roomie were thin, we could move around with less banging into each other. But whenever a third person came into the room, it was trouble. One of us had to “fly over the beds” which meant, to walk over the cots to reach outside. I am not exaggerating, the room was that small.

As it was Onam holidays, most of the girls had gone home, including my roomie. I was working and didn’t have holidays. I was alone and was enjoying that tiny room to all by myself. I usually sleep with my head near the window, but that night somehow I slept the opposite way. My feet were near the window. And above all, I forgot to latch the window, I had just closed it.

At 4am (later I checked the clock), I felt uncomfortable in sleep and opened my eyes, to find a man towering over me, looking me with intent eyes. He was silently staring at me. My brain went numb.

Where am I?

How came a man, in my room?

What was he doing?

What did he do, to me?

Didn’t I put the latch? …..

A thousand questions popped inside my head. I was literally frozen. As the room was tiny, the man seemed to be inside my room, but in fact he was outside my room, standing up on my window, which made him tower over me. So in my dazed feeling, I didn’t see the window bars that separated us. For me, it was just like he inside my room. A scream was caught inside my throat and I couldn’t move my body. Seconds passed by. And then he made a move. That movement of him shook me out of my numbness. In a fraction of a second, I just sprang from bed, went near the man (yes, I went near the man!!), banged the windows close, and ran away from my room, all the time screaming at the top of my voice. Actually the sound of my scream made me realize that I was still alive!

I couldn’t stop myself from screaming for the next 10 minutes. My scream echoed all thru the convent and sisters came running to hostel (in their nightclothes without veil!). I couldn’t talk. My throat was sore, cos my scream was so much high pitched! After half an hr, and after 3 glasses of water, finally I could speak. Of course, sisters didn’t care. They told that it was common that men/thieves came to girls’ hostel (!). They scolded me for not putting the window latch.

That morning, I went home and told dad my experience and he wanted me to move into another secure hostel.

But things didn’t end there.

I became paranoid of windows. Once I had gone to bed, I started checking closed (and latched) windows every 5 minutes, even at home. I would imagine latch coming lose from windows and go again to check it. I started screaming saying that I saw shadows moving thru windows. Amma lost sleep cos of my daily screaming. So she asked me not to close my room, so that she can check on me. That caused more trouble, cos I started screaming when she came to my room, to check, even in my sleep. I could sense her “footsteps”. This phenomenon lasted for over a year, and later lost its intensity. But never could I go to terrace alone after 7pm, again. I was always thinking of someone lurking behind my shadows.

Later I heard that my experience became a story in hostel, to be told when girls didn’t put latch on their windows!!!

Even now, I am scared of darkness. And I know my fear-less days of solitude in terrace are gone forever now. Thanks to that strange psycho!

And to think that I am even writing a blog on him!!

28 comments:

  1. Now that i have done that.....i am reminded of my childhood days..when the swaying neem trees (visible from the window.)would look like demons...the mouse or a thirsty cat would drop a plate...and i would jump up from the bed...only to see the giggling cat/mouse..and that eternal omnipresent squeaking door....as if the evil is entering the house..........Good night and sweet dreams..

    ReplyDelete
  2. paavam ..ayaal vadi aayi kaanum..Ingane screamiyaal..Aaaraayaalum chaakum..
    Adheham..beedi kathikkaaan theeppetti vaanagaan vannathaavumedo...
    I hope ...you are not makin too much job for Irish police...
    Changala undo ippozhum kayyil..lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rohith: My friends say that "avan poya vazhi, pullu mulachittilla enna"!!!
    swathi avane parathiya katha, ippol famous aaanu!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rohits comment is too funny Lol. Wonder what he would have done in a similar situation. Thiruvananthapuram bhasayil paranjal peduthupokum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jacob, i liked ur comment more...LMAO!!!
    and that tvm slang, too!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL..nice post and great comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gawd... this gave me goose bumps. I really felt as though i was there in that situation. I know, i know.... i really know how u wld hav felt at that moment. Not easy dear. not at all easy. One shld never ever experience such things in life. It disturbs us a lot.. in many ways. I really feel sorry for what ever happened to u. It really shouldnt have happened. May god be with you and give u strength and erase the whole incident frm ur heart and mind. Luv you. (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. BABS: yea, i know, sometimes such kind of incidents, scar you for life...but sometimes u overcome...every one of us, may have such similar experiences, isnt it? ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. yo da swat! me too hav come across such incidents. might write a blog bout it sometime. Take care sweets. My prayers for you. (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gripping Narrative indeed Swathi. I can relate to this fear of yours. There is a window on the left side of my room which I have never opened for about 7 years now. Through the window can be seen, just in the next compound a tiny hut, where a gruesome murder took place at midnight 7 years ago. The screams and cries that deafend the silence of that night passed through to my room through that window. And I could see the confusion and mayhem that happened at that house. From that night, I have never opened the south side window.
    Certain fears change our lives.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can feel ur fear Swathi.....as i had gone through this same thing like this long back in past when i was in 11th .....and still I am afraid to be alone in darkness....

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooohhhh....

    i used to be so scared of ghosts.
    but till date, i havent seen any.
    now that i write this, i believe tonite could be that nite
    hold on let me go check the windows

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh God!! I am not scared of darkeness or anything for that matter.....Naamam japichu kidakku kutti!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that must hav been soo scray .. i can imagine it.. coz me too have a similar experience..i luv riding my bike(i hav a kinetic)but last year in july i met with an accident n i still havn't come out of the expereince.. now if i hav ride a bike in traffic..i sweat soo much.. n earlier da min speed i used to drive at was 70kmph.. now i hardly cross 30 kmph;)

    n i dunno wot kinda phobia is tht..didn't do google search. lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:p

    ReplyDelete
  15. Though not a good experience but a great narrative. Try to get over this phobia, these sorta fears or infact any sort fears are not good baba. Hmm...try and find some solution and if something strikes me I will also add in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ginglee's World....18 February 2007 at 10:43

    think this is something horrible...This is nighttime...Read this blog Tommorow.......AZAD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Raji, Pedi maranamenkil namam jepichal poora, advaitam sheelikkanam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enthu sheelichalom peedichupookum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ..dho... pedicho????

    Well... i loved your narration... and u r really brave... u broke his ear drum membrane... ippol aalu deaf alle???

    ReplyDelete
  20. LoL ***laughing*** at Rohit's and Jacob's comments..!

    Really Swats, I thought you were a bit more courageous..! But I can understand how you must've felt then..! "DON'T GO OUT IN THE DARK"...! ;D

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anganaey oru puthiya vaakku padichu!

    ReplyDelete
  22. ippol ulakkayude technique pidi kitti....

    Swathi.... i will come to meet you during day time... well i dont wanna risk my ear drums.... ulakka can be handled... but not scream...

    ReplyDelete
  23. " Later I heard that my experience became a story in hostel, to be told when girls didn’t put latch on their windows!!! "

    hehehe .....Darkness and me went well together !..never had any trouble or fear till now ! ...;) ...Ennnalum Swats !..MOsham :P ...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alla...Padachone...
    Koyikkodan baasayil....
    Ethu sheithaanaayaalum njammaalkku pulllaa..
    Athu Swathi aayaalum...Alla sakshaaal ...
    Jacob sheithaan thanne bannaaalum...
    nalla best malappuram kathi undu...kayyil..
    beeesani benda...tto...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Swathi *lolz* Ayyo sorry tto chirichu poyi!! Swathi enthu mathram pedichu kaanum!! Lol Anooj paranjathu pole ayalde eardrum thakarnnu kaananam!!

    Lolz @ Rohit and Jacob's comments.

    EXCELLENT NARRATION!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Swathi...sometimes we grow up.We are above twenty years but still are frightened of shadows outside the window.Fearfactor tht counts

    ReplyDelete
  27. Phew! I remember you narrating this incident when you got back to office. It was really a close call !!!

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...