Saturday 10 March 2007

Bad Habits !


Now a days I am under a very bad addiction. You can say it as a very bad influence Or a very nasty habit to keep my mind off! And I blame Ireland for thrusting me with this bad habit (along with wine , red bull and KFC!). I never used to read any kind of glossy film magazines, while I was in India. No ‘Stardust‘, no ‘Filmfare’, nothing. According to me, those were all for those rich women who didn’t have anything better to do. I strongly believed that.

But to my utter disbelief, I am hooked onto British tabloids now. I started it as fun by reading Sun and Daily Mirror newspapers on weekends. They were cheap with almost 30 pages, had free glossy magazine inside and even a free DVD. Those were my reasons. It had everything to read about… all those gossips about celebs… about who dumped who, who is seeing who, who is in rehab now, who gave birth on her honeymoon, who got divorced and who is cheating on whom. It was harmless fun, it served the basic human inquisitiveness of peeking into others lives. To get relieved at the thought that they too have miseries like us. Yes I was just being human!

I first read Sun, when Saddam Hussein got hanged. It was different because it gave all those bits and pieces that were missing in ordinary ‘respectable’ news papers! Then came the CBB (celebrity big brother) hype. I think it was the golden time for British tabloids with all those controversies hanging around all the time. It was when Shilpa Shetty became the ‘ultimate’ lady and Jade,Jo and Danielle became ultimate’ bullies. Ok, that phase too went. Then they ran a special on Princess Diana, with all those rare photos from her life.

Then came Britney shaving her head off!!! I still remember the day when I stared at ‘Sun’ for more than 5 minutes to make my brain believe what I was seeing. A half-shaved Britney with hair clippers!!! I read Sun‘s editorial, predicting Britney becoming next Anna Nicole, and was shocked at the state of the once squeaky clean celeb, like every other reader.

And now I started buying other celeb magazines too. And that too, 2 each week. I just don’t know what I gain by reading who lost how many pounds and who put a new tattoo, where. I don’t gain anything by reading that Jade and Britney are in rehab, or Danielle has been dumped or Jo tried to kill herself or Shilpa Shetty may become next The Xfactor judge!!! (All CBB participants). I know Victoria Beckham moving to US or Johny Depp moving to UK doesn’t change my life, a bit. I know Liz Hurley’s wedding to Indian business tycoon, Arun Nayar or Hugh Grant’s break-up with Jemima doesn’t makes me feel different.

Yes….I have developed this very bad habit. And honestly what I feel now is that, instead of probing into Hollywood , I should have tried Bollywood first, while in India.

35 comments:

  1. THere goes another one !

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheesy: **grins**

    ReplyDelete
  3. yup..good bad habbit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. nevertheless a blog acknowledging a bad habit/ addiction whatever u like to it, but for me it was wonderfullu written humorous article fit for reader's digest :)) had fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raaji: thanks alot, dear!!! i was just telling the truth! **winks**... but yea,it can go into "life's is like that", can it?

    Rohit: Good, bad habit OR Good Bad,habit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hei Swathi.

    I think that it is the climate over there that makes the people 'numb'
    themselves with all this trashy goz on the magz!!

    Anyway, keep well and do not let all that rain get on you; it could be worse,
    like living in a clime that is 2x the temp in a freezer...
    Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha Ha..believe me Initially even though I used to complain about Times of India n started reading it for Job Advs..Now I read lot of celeb gossip over there

    ReplyDelete
  8. RII: LOLZZZZ that was a very 'reasonable' reason!!!! its the climate.... i blame it on the 'rain' here....:-)..thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. manz.....YOU tooooo?

    ReplyDelete
  10. swathiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii very very baddddd.... u shudn't b reading all tht gossip... itz not gud for health. health???
    no for mind:p
    it wil influence u n ur work:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. soo betta b away frm it....:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. good addictions... now i have a person to refer to regarding all the gossips that is doing rounds.....

    BTW who is dating MAria Sharapova now???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Courier boy !.. Pass on those questions to another blog ;) ...http://360.yahoo.com/manuc913

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading things like this keeps ur mind in alighter note - as long as u dont get crazy over that stuff. But, i am not so sure getting addicted to redbull is a good idea - it is a energy drink, which may have side effects. so, plz be careful abt that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gossip is a big industry, never always true, often triggered by the very persons who are 'accused'- for personal publicity needs. However, gossip is fun reading, as long as we know it is just that - gossip.

    I suppose when you have just finished a hard day's serious work and are in no mood for even more serious reading, this may actually be easy reading and hence relaxing. May not be a bad habbit, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very funny blog. I like what Sankaran said above--"reading should be relaxing" and hence celeb gossip mags may not be a bad habit.

    In a "National Esquirer" headline that I saw when I was checking out of Walmart once was a headline I will never forget--"Woman Gives Birth to Self." Another eyecatcher: "Two Hunters find Adolf Hilter in an Alabama Swamp." (with picture, of course). Hard to believe that there are people buying and reading such items (although I guess that they can be relaxing too, no?)

    Whatever else we learn from celebs, one thing seems pretty for sure: how money and fame and competition don't do much for character and values or personal stability or marriage longevity. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every once in awhile I get a free year's subscription to some magazines (US, People, Reader's Digest, etc), only then do I read those... The tabloids are great for a laugh though. I usually read those while waiting on line in the supermarket. The headlines always pull you in. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think Hollywood gossip magazine has more to make you habituated... Bollywood gossipers are hypocrite... they will write all goodies and will earn from it...
    and here, if any such gossips pops up... local newspaper always has a section for Bollywood News...
    even TV channels have special shows dedicated on Gossips...
    Gossiping is a complete business... and I don't see it as a bad habbit..... may be an avoidable one...

    ReplyDelete
  19. So now you are a "rich woman with nothing better to do".Im sure you wouldnt agree to that, so its a case of a wrong opinion in the past.being able to change opinion and not stick to past ones is growth isnt it? I think that one should ask oneself the question "what do i really really want?" the inner voice will give the right answer, and that will be whats most useful to us in the long run isnt it? Your blogs are always very open and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now u are spreading it others too....Ur blog is mix of all tabloids...Now I know some gossip too.....from ur blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sure, you have slowly beome rich.
    I remember what your new jathakam says.
    I hope you have no problem being rich, correct?
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well for me I am not that addicted to read Celebrity Magazine ..but yes my hubby...I find him always reading abt bollywood - hollywood news...and many times even i not need to read stuff...he will just let me know...lolz....

    ReplyDelete
  23. some important question for u Swat
    1.How many chappattis Hritik roshan will eat
    2.What is the name of Aiswarya Rai's kittie??
    3.Who is the new lover of Nayan thara..
    huh..
    Happy aayi alle..
    And I think u ll get 100/100..
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny Swathi, I think everyone is succumbed to this addiction. Britney is no.1 in Google Search. I agree with Sankaran, just read it for fun and forget it. They may be stars, but they are humans and are as fallible as we are. Have fun in Ireland. Cheers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Come on these trash mags are good for you... to lighten up and to some extent live vicariously.. Okay may be not that. But still I love hollywood gossip mags and even bollywood mags as well... Though I don't buy any magazine regularly, I do end up purchasing USWeekly may be once in 2 months... And yes I loved 'Filmfare' magazine.. the only Indian bollywood magazine which has class and even some little substance... I hated 'Stardust' and the likes.

    Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  26. And with internet, we don't even have to buy any tabloid magazines, just look for the gossip news online ;)
    Gotta go, "Desperate Housewives" is about to start....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nothing like a little innocent gossip read to lighten our lives!:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL@ Rohit's questions... enikku vayya..

    Yes ... you should catch up with Bollywood too....

    Last I read that Rani Mukherjee is NOT dating Aditya Chopra [director of DDLJ]... just like how Abhishek Bachchan was NOT dating Aishwarya Rai...

    ROTFLOL....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Its ages since I've read a magazine........I try and get all the gossips from others....hehe

    ReplyDelete
  30. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for so much juicy info..lol. Please write more about the goings on in the celebrity world. I never knew about Britney shaving her head. Wow that was a Juicy blog indeed.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  31. Swathi, i was thinking about those one-page humoroud artlicle that they let select readers pen ... too good!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I used to get a "kick" out of them too babe.. hehehe... but these days i hardly have the time! Reading your blog just gave me an "insight" lol ..:D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Reading is ok I guess..why you making it sound soooo bad??? Or am I underestimating the whole issue???

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...