Monday 11 December 2006

My Dirty Dancing!!!


Yesterday I read Shail’s blog on her childhood experiences with classical dance and veena… she said, she even attended the ‘deeparadhana’, (and that too, for one year!) just to get the chance to continue with her dance lessons! For me that was a realization that there are people like that, too…


 


Unfortunately for me (and fortunately for art-lovers), I didn’t have that exclusive love for studying such art forms …  yea, I didn’t have that love, but I did have the chance to try my luck on it!!


 


I don’t know how my parents got this idea of putting me in Regatta Dance School when I was in 5th standard. I clearly remember the Vijayadasami day, when I started my dance lessons for ‘Bharatnadyam’. When I was asked to place ‘dakshina’ for the teacher on her feet, I didn’t touch her feet. In fact, later I came to know that I was the only student who didn’t ‘touch’ our teacher’s feet. I thought (when I was 10) that it was an unhygienic ritual! LOL!


 


Things were never smooth afterwards… my cousin sister whose body was more flexible than me, got along well. Me, who was a little bit overweight at that time, began to look forward every dance class with terror! It was literally terror for me. I panted like an over-worked donkey, after every dance class. My body never followed all those graceful motions that the teacher showed. It was a heart-as-well-as-back breaking experience for a 10 yr old. I cursed my parents, every time my teacher criticized my body.  Actually the main teacher, Girija Mohan (she is the guru of  most Kalathilakams from Trivandrum!!!) was very soft with me. She never used harsh words with me. But as she was very busy, some senior students took dance classes for us kids. They were Manikkutty chechi (filmstar Sreelekshmi) and Mini chechi. Mini chechi was the one who played the main part in pushing my self-confidence to ground level.


 


After every class when I went home, I spent half and hour in front of the mirror, cursing my over-weight figure. I was made fun of by Mini chechi always, for the way I looked. In fact when my cousin who had an in-born taste in dance, along with a slim body, excelled, I was the one who lagged. In fact my progress was little.


 


Mini chechi used to tell me always that I looked like the vegetable ‘padavalanga’. (snake gourd). In fact she made that my nickname. There were some 10-12 students in one class and every single evening, I have to hear this comparison of my body with  ‘padavalanga’ from Mini chechi.  Every one laughed at me, including the boys who were in our class. [At 10, I didn’t know about dieting!!!] My cousin used to come home and tell mom “Babyamma, Mini teacher calls chechi, padavalanga”. Even then, my parents didn’t understand the inferiority complex, I felt.


 


Any way after 2 yrs of continuous humiliation with a result of a very high inferiority complex over my appearance, at 12, somehow I convinced my parents that I needed more time to study that attend dance classes! But then I had become very much overweight. Once my dad’s friend even asked me, what I was doing, when I was just 12. People who saw me never believed that I was just 12, and soon I stopped attending weddings cos I really got sick of those ‘raised eyebrows’ and ‘gaping mouths’ when they heard my age.


 


Astonishingly without any dieting, I lost all my weight when I was 16-17, and never gained weight, till now. But that horrible experience, always keep me on my toes about my weight now. and my once svelte cousin is not anymore like that now!


 


And I sincerely have an advice to the parents of all overweight kids…please, please, notice the shame on their face, when others comment about their weight, and call them names. They may not admit that to you, but they may be dying in inferiority complex inside…


 


I don’t have any photos that were taken on my over-weight phase (thank God!)


The above photo was taken while I was 1.5 yrs old. Notice the ink cap held tightly on my right hand??? The photographer gave me that to hold, to keep me still!!


  


Footnote: only recently I told my hubby that I learned (?) bharathanadyam for 2 yrs and he wanted me to show what I learned. At that instant, I hated myself for telling him, that.


 


                                  This is my entry for Marty’s Photo Challenge/Festival.  


(yea, i know, i am late...but, better late, than never!)


 

31 comments:

  1. FTC. Clinks!To Cutie apie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh....sankaran, u always take the gold trophy away!!!
    *claps* *claps* *claps*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you came out of those non0issues that were foisted on you as a child. I do know what it feels like, for I was always the shortest wherever I was... always in the front of the line in class- meant I was the smallest, shortest. It did not feel great being called "Giddu" then...

    Until one of the teachers told me that many great guys in the hostory have ben short physically, and that it the was the eight of 'personality' that mattered.

    I think we should everything possible to alert people on making snide remarks that can leave children with serious scars with them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *ducks from being hit by a Padavalanga*

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehe..padavalanga! SWatbaby! i was a fattygirl too! and i learned dance too! hehehe.. somehow i was like "rain on the erumaimadu" *wink* i hardly noticed my globs of flesh and went around *jiggly jigging* it ...hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. arffie--i am not that shy 10 yr kid anymore....any more nick names and the next thing you can remember will be a BIG bump on the back of ur head or on ur forehead (based on in which direcion u r running!!)

    ..lady i am not a kick boxer, but my husband says i am a qualified attacker!
    *rolling sleeves*

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaahhhh... the pressures...

    *remembering the growing up years*..... *sigh*......

    I remember my Malayalam Teacher... way back in 4th Grade.. who called one of my classmate the malayalam equivalent of the word 'Hooker'. Some teacher, eh?

    All of us 4th graders were wondering what the hell that word meant. One of the smarty in the class said "Its a bad word, dont ask your mom, ok?".. .So I was like, ok... I wont ask mom.. lemme ask dad then...

    I asked Dad.. he complained to the Management and she was suspended from the school for like 6 months and when she came back, I was her enemy number 1. The lady resented me till my 12th grade. And she did everything she could to break my spirit.

    Ohhh... remembering those years is just too much for me....

    ReplyDelete
  8. joey---((HUGS))) we should have made a club, then....dont we?
    padavalanga, erumaimadu--those name-callers should be prosecuted..what say???

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Runs towards Swathi and plants a big Chakkara Umma*....


    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. arffiee----"hooker!!!!" ohhhhh my ...she should be called @$@#^#^&#%$#&&!!!! what the hell!!!! Good that she was suspended... buy yea, i too know some teachers who keep revenge like hell!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. arrfsss---OK...OK...umma accepted..but only cos its 'chakkara'!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lets bury them under a pile of rubbish :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. FYI, this is a serious issue. Teachers need to be trained on the science of handling children, encouraging them on their small successes, showing them that its always the small ones that lead to bigger ones...


    Karnataka Gvernment is now spearheading an initiative in this direction to train 10,000 teachers across the state, the World Bank is fuunding it, and an intial lot of 280 Trainers have been identified for the project.

    Incidentally, my organisation, CLFRD- one of which I am a Trustee, something that started when I was a student, is the one idntified to Train the Trainers... needless to say I am proud of this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, sankaran, this sure is a serious issue....cos it sure leave scars.....and no matter how fast we grow out of that, we wont grow out of it completely..some part of it remains somewhere deep inside, and it pops out often!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to agree about parents needing to protect overweight children from unkind words and deeds... it makes life so difficult and it is already confusing enough when you are a child... my brother was always heavier when we were kids and I was skinny... now he is skinny and I am heavy... but even when I was skinny there was always someone to comment that I should lose 10 pounds... when that was first said I weighed 120 pounds at 5'5"... seemed like nothing was ever good enough for some people! Now that I am heavy, I realize how skinny I always was when I was younger, and I am very happy with who I am now... weight does not define me! And anyone who wants to comment on my weight as opposed to how I am as a person had better run and hide! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how sad that you had to go through such torment at such a young age. Words wound forever so we should always watch how we use them. Hats off to you. You are a lovely young woman with a wonderful personality!1 (((HUGS)))) from Mom and me...

    ReplyDelete
  17. really sad to read that u had face such things in ur childhood..but i do agreed that parents need to protect their kids being over weight....

    in my family my cousin who is in std 10 right now is facing same inferiority complex in School in his sports team...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had my dance and music lessons as well.......discontinued due to dad's constant trasfers....'Padavalange'....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Folks...Just look at the picture above of the 18 month old Swathi!! that is exactly how she looks now!! the same innocent expression!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So Sreelekshmi was your teacher chechi?? She is related to my husband's side of the family!!

    Guess what?? I have been made fun of as overweight though I was not, when I was around 14-15!! It simply was that the rest in my family were extra slim. So I was considered overweight by default. By 18, I slimmed down considerably and have been so till I crossed 45!! I have always been pestered with, 'Why are you so thin??' and now, when I have become a decent size those around go overboard and say.."You have become fat!"
    *rolls eyes* God! People just don't let you live!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know just what inferiority complex can do to children...and it is not just in the matter of weight Swathi. I especially hate people/relatives who point out one sibling is doing better than the other. The worst thing you can do to a child, who is anyway in awe of the one who is doing extra well!!

    ..and Arfie's teacher needs a sackful of bricks dumped on her!! The nerve!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Norma---u r very right...even my cousin who was thin like stick is heavier than me , now that peole ask me i i am the younger one..but i can understand how she feels, now!
    when we grow up, we are more inuslated against hurt..but for kids, it terrible....
    ((HUGS)))

    patsy-------oh!dear!!! nice to see u here!!! thank you, sooo much....((HUGS))

    Anu--yea, anu, parents should watch their kids from being overweight...i remember i used to eat alot....and drink milk alot....mom hated to give me milk, always...

    rajshreee---if u call me that name...pls refer to what i did to Arffieee.... suttiduven!!!


    shail---((((HUGS)))))
    yea, sreelekshmi (bhoothakkannadi fame) was my teacher....she was very pretty, then. but in films, she didnt look that pretty!!!!
    it was not her, but Mini, who gave me names!!!

    yea, u r right, when u r compared with some one more thin (like my cousin) u are called 'huge'. my ammavan never took me with him cos he thot ppl didnt believe that i was a kid! today my cousin suffers this!!! even her in-laws thinks i am younger to her, while i am 2 yrs elder to her!

    oh! comparison!!!! dont tell me about it!!! athu ketu njan jeeevitham maduthu!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Swathi, Parents are like that they dont need the permision of children to enforce what they think is good for them or for their own self image. This in turn makes the child a laughing stock of others and the child has to shut out a major part of thier childhood in a bag of shame. I have one observation to make, as you said that at the age of 16 you began to loose weight and didnt have to be ashamed anymore. Maybe it is the result of your work out in the dance classes albeit unwillingly, dont you think? There is another observation, that as you were not svelte in your childhood as you say, you may have focussed your energies on being more intellectual than physical and as a result you are where you are in life and not admiring yourself in front of a mirror. Moral of the story, "All for the best" Lo0ve nd Regards Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jacob--u r right about the parents feelings of knowing evreything thats best for the child!!

    but about this >>>Maybe it is the result of your work out in the dance classes albeit unwillingly, dont you think?<<< NO, cos i lost weight mainly cos of the emotional turmoil at that time, and stopped eating as i used to...and that was also after 4 yrs after i stopped taking dance classes.

    but this is absolutely true>>>>you may have focussed your energies on being more intellectual than physical <<< which is true to the core... i could get student scholarships, though i couldnt get thin.. LOL!!!

    thanks for commenting, Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow.... what an horrible experience... I can relate as I was Overweight too... and I have suffered namecallings... but I never felt inferior... I've to think on WHY!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. enne schoolil ellarum vilichirunnathu undapakru nna. njaan serikkum oru undayayirunnu :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. swathi.. i was fat.. still am..lol.. i cant imagine u as fat, tho.. u seem so thin now.. cant believe it..

    well, i am happy that u got out of dance classes.. believe me, i experienced the same thing.. with me it was ballet that threw me off.. i had ballet, jazz, and tap classes.. i was good with jazz n tap, but ballet just killed me.. finally quit with the same excuse..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have gone the same situation like u but at the age of 6. but it was lucky that i went for the class only 6 months! i love the dance but all the students were faster than me so i gave up**sob** now i really regret that i gave up!
    but some how i escaped from nicknames that time.
    It was at 11 when i went for Karate class i got the nick names etc. hehehe b'coz i was really very fat!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh swathy i can't beleieve that u had such a past. Oh hw u maintain ur weight .during my childhood days iwas thin and after my college i started to gain weight because of ice creams and chocolates. And me also felt very sad about teasing from frnds and kids but i can't stop ice cream and chocolate anyway still iam fatty. My mommy tells boys don't like fatty girls to get marry but i can't stop my icecream.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A very cute picture.A very nice post.

    Inferiority complex can really hurt children bad , most react by running away , slipping down further and therefore being the butt of more ridicule .

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...