Tuesday 12 December 2006

..and they decided!!!!


This is again in reply to Priya’s blog about ‘who should decide’. This may help some young women or their parents who is yet to have an arranged marriage.


 


The year was 1998. I wasn’t even 21, when a serious marriage proposal came to my parents, for me.  They didn’t have plans to marry me off, then cos I haven’t completed my BTech and my dad didn’t have money planned for it. This came thru one of our staff member, who taught us in engineering college. It was for his close relative’s son. The guy was a single son (with a younger sister), who did his Btech in Comp.Science from  Trivandrum Engineering college, and was working in Microsoft (!), US. He was 27/28 then.


 


My parents told that they are not interested. But his parents called us, every day. Finally my parents told me about it. At that time, I was on the verge of a break up (which my parents wasn’t aware of), and I was looking for an escape route at any cost. But soon things got pretty fast. Within one week, I heard that the guy was coming to India (for his marriage, of course!). And one fine morning, his parents and his school-going sister came to my home, to see me. Now, honestly, I didn’t know the seriousness of the situation till then.


 


His mom and his sister became too close to me. They told me dialogues like “you are the best girl, my son can ever get” and “After marriage, you should do this and that..etc”. They even asked me if I had any existing love affair in case, they could leave me alone with my own wish. Now these experiences were something brand new for me. (remember, I was just 20). I was wondering, how I would take care of his son,(whom, I haven’t seen at all!!!) as they were asking me that again and again.


 


The next week, one fine morning, the guy came to my house along with his family. It was on a Saturday. On Monday I was having the University Exams for that semester. He came and sat in our drawing room and I noticed that he didn’t even look at me. His mom and sis were all over me, again and made me feel like I was the only girl in this earth! They gave me a lot of gifts, from US, including sweets and Parker pens! But I didn’t give them ‘tea’, (like we see in films!!). Then the inevitable happened. We were asked to talk alone!!!  I was so excited about this whole thing, like I feel while I was attending an exam and waiting for the result. I wasn’t tensed, just too curious, about the turn of events, suddenly in my life.


 


He : I liked the name Swathi, its so sweet.


Me: -----


He: I wouldn’t have come to see you, if I haven’t liked you.


Me:-----


He: Do you speak fluent English?


Me: I speak OK, that’s all!


He: I plan to come back to India from US, after 3 yrs. What ur opinion on that?.


Me: What should I say? Whatever is your decision, you should do. I just want to complete my projects and assignments!! (That was the only thing worrying me, then!) Will you help me, in finishing the project?? **What a romantic question***


He: what are your hobbies?


Me: I read…that’s all…nothing much.


He: I do rock climbing, skiing, skydiving, paragliding, and all kind of adventure sports. Do you mind joining me, in that, after marriage?


Me: but I don’t know all these…and I want to submit my project in time.


He: -----


He: did you like me?


Me: you are OK.


*** end of intvw***


 


The next thing that happened gave me the biggest shocks in my life. I was engaged!!!


After they went, my dad went to an astrologer and took the date for my (!!) marriage and booked a hall and even gave orders for printing cards.(all that happened within 3 hrs!)


 


Then…only then…I got the cold feet. I felt dizzy. My head started spinning. No…I cant do this…I cant marry….its not the guy….I am not prepared for marriage now. I felt that I am being suffocated. I felt like vomiting and my vision was getting unclear.


 


Soon I started crying loudly. I told amma that I don’t want this marriage. Amma told “don’t tell me. Tell this to your dad”. I told dad “achaaa……….pls I don’t want this marriage. I will die”. He asked me why. My problem was that I didn’t have an answer. Only one thing was crystal clear in my mind that if I get married then, I will be doomed. I felt like a chicken getting ready to get killed!


 


That night my dad did the worst thing that only a dad can do. He did emotional blackmailing combined with brainwashing to the extreme! From the moment, he saw me first as a newborn baby, he told me about his hopes and aspirations on me and my life and how today I was going to spoil every dream of him.[this is what I say  10000 times, that will happen to a single-kid!!] He talked to me that whole night. Finally at 4am in the morning, as epilogue, he told me “if you don’t agree to this marriage, you will see only my dead body!!!” OK…that was it….I was ready for that marriage.


 


Next morning, (Sunday) dad got a phone call. It was from the guy’s home. Soon he went there. When he came back, he told me “that guy broke the engagement”. Reasons he told his parents who inturn told my dad:


1)      I was too young for marriage, as I told him only about semester projects.


2)      I didn’t know rock climbing, paragliding, and skydiving.


3)      I wasn’t a modern girl, with an independent attitude or opinion.


 


I didn’t know whether to cry or to laugh… I wondered what my dad would do, now? Will he kill himself, like he told me last night? But its true effect was not on my dad. It was on my mom. She didn’t get up from her bed for one whole week.


 


And me: I took the next bus to my hostel, and without studying anything, wrote the university paper next day. Astonishingly, I got 93% on that paper, though I can swear I didn’t write anything. I still believe that, it was due to an error in the valuation.


 


 


Footnote1: He got married after some months to a girl working as s/w enggr. One of my ‘well-wishing close’ relative called my mom at 6 am in the morning to tell her this hot news, she got! LOL!!!!


 


Footnote2: After some days, the senior staff member called me in his cabin and cried in front of me, begging to accept his apologies!!! And I had to tell him “Sir, dont cry, it is OK”!


 



Footnote 3: 2 days back Amma was telling this to my hubby in a careful manner. I told her “Amma, don’t be so polished. I have told him, all and he kids me that I should have been in Microsoft, now…LOL”


35 comments:

  1. lolzzzzzzzzz....... swathi, once again I just love the way you narrate everything... wow!! what an experience... I always wanted to be a part of that arrange marriage interview session, but in my case I had something else in store... but this was soo funny...
    lolzzz... I think I evaded early marriage successfully by joining a 5year arcitecture degree ( the longest possible)... I had to fight soo much for it, my mom wanted me to marry of than and there or atleast do a 3 or 4 year course.
    But I think, in the end, thing happen for the best... I am sure, if I would have been married even an year earlier, things won't have been as smooth as they are now...
    Now, I do pity (and appreciate) my husband for waiting for me for over 5 years... but I was too selfish (rather self-indulgent) to see this before... still, no regrets... I think in those 5 years, I have discovered myself, learnt to live life, become strong and perhaps mature & experienced enough to understand his worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! That sounds like a narrow squeak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes....Whew....That was a close call!!! You could have been one very unhappy girl now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow swathy after reading this me also thought about what is going to happen me next. i have not yet engaged and waiting to see what is going to happen next..[this is what I say 10000 times that will happen to a single-kid!!] really that's very very true. Iam also a single kid. So iam also suffering it's consequences. parents have hopes and dreams about us and if we tend to say anything against that, they r redy to show their dead body next day itself.Me also went through same situation, by the grace of God me also escaped.Anyway as a single kid i also sacrifice my wishes to parents .A lot of similarities i saw with me and you when i read most of your blogs. your parents and mine are almost same nature . something u described in ur blogs happened to me also . May be because of the single kid the same thing . hhahah ithink so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my oh my.... "Will you help me, in finishing the project??" LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know one guy who asked C#.NET interview questions to the girl during the pennukanal ceremoney :-) and she promptly refused him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. something like that happen to me too...but in my case my Mom supported me lot......must say brave Girl u r...atleast u stand up n said ur DAD...i don't want this wedding...

    I wonder y did Priya's Friend didn't fight for her right...

    Humare Gujarati mai ek kahavat hai..."Bole Tena Boor Vechai"...Means...If we speak then only people will listen us...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swathi....gripping narration....what can i say,...there were two "evaluation" mistakes..one in the question paper ...and one by the boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First let me join Anoop and laugh @ >>"Will you help me, in finishing the project??"<< That was too good! I think that was the deciding factor in the boy concluding that you were too young!! *wink* lol!!

    I hear so much about parents threatening with 'you will see my dead body'!!! Happened with one of my cousins too. I am unable to write the story as it is a unique one and no amount of name changing will hide whose story it is. I have always thought why she did not tell her Dad, "OK then lets die together" Wonder what his reaction would have been?? I am not giving anyone ideas. But this 'threatening with committing suicide' is a game two can play at and or do the parents forget that??

    My views have always been different. Your love and devotion to your parents is NOT shown by either blind obedience or by buckling under emotional blackmail. After all what is ‘bringing up children’?? It is teaching them to become well adjusted adults, who can think for themselves and make their own decisions as also their own mistakes, not puppets who dance to parents’ tunes! How many parents really teach their children to think for themselves and take pride when their children do so?? Parents are happy when children toe the line and blindly obey them. And what about many of the children?? Most of them think agreeing to emotional blackmail is 'love' for parents!!

    If you ask me, if parents cannot accept children making their own decisions or at least having a say in their own lives or if children just bow before their parents emotional blackmail, then that upbringing is a total failure. My opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anu: Malayalam mein bhi hai! Karayunna kunjine palullu. Loose translation, 'Only the child that cries gets milk'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovleen---say thankyou to God that you were not part of that intvw...take my word.....it would have only humilated you. u know dear, marriages are truly made in heaven!!! God has decided the best spouse for us...only thing is that, we just have to wait! and yea, even at 20 or 21, a girl wouldnt be mentally mature enough for a marriage...a least i wasnt... LOL


    anne s--it sure was!!!LOL


    patsy--yes dear, i could really have been. In India, this emotional brainwashing, especially for single kids, creates trouble like hell!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. anju---((((((HUGS))))))))))) ie why i plead to all my friends and relatives to have at least 2 kids.... you know anju, single kids become 'guinnea pigs', 99% of the time!

    but for others its like "single kid....lucky gal!!!! everything is ONLY for you"

    no one tries to read beneath that,.....

    if i dont have 2 babies, i will adopt 2! but never one!!!



    anoop---c# questions??? ayyyyooo.......... he didnt ask me techie questions....he jus tasked me whether i knew all those adventure sports!! and u know what my dad told "i didnt teach her all that" LOL!!!!!


    anu---(((HUGS))) I HAD to tell my dad, cos i felt like a chicken ready to get killed, then!!!!! LOL
    it was not cos i was brave...it was cos, i didnt haven any other way!!!!!



    chater---LOL @ >>>there were two "evaluation" mistakes..one in the question paper ...and one by the boy.<<< very true, now... but at that time, i wasnt this bold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shail---- what did you think, that my dad didnt give me "ideas"??? LOL... i tried his "suicide" idea alot of times after that and made the ball in my court...[i have never used that, before!]

    i was very angry at him after that, and whenever i got chance, i used to get this story out, to prove that they can be wrong! [which meant that i can be right!!! LOL] i know that was torture for him, but when they did it first, u feel u can do it always!

    in fact that single incident turned me purely into a rebel. my relationship with dad worsened,and only now, we are in good terms! he and me, we both are mellowed, thru time LOL!!!

    i gave my parents the toughest time in their life...the road was always bumpy...now God knows whats in store for me.....LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, great that the guy himself broke it... so things which are not destined won't happen at all....
    I enjoyed this a lot !!
    Can't blog mine, as Manish was the first guy I ever met for the purpose, and we both agreed... end of the story !!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know a cousin of mine who went through some 40-odd 'pennukanals' before he got married. He has 'transcribed' some them, which are hilarious...

    Anyway, this 'suicide' threat, unfortunately used by many parents, is itself becoming a threat... I know many who have succumbed to this with disastrous results.

    Thank God, the situation corrected itself in your case!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm..swathi..i know its a very difficult situation.Good that it ended soon like that..I am witnessing what my friend is going thru now..
    She asked her parents many times to change the decision.But they never did that.They think she is happy now.They have raised her up, but they couldnt see her mind..

    ReplyDelete
  17. To Anu:She did fight for her right.But it was never heard..Tehy just ignored all those thinking that they are more matured and right in taking this decision than her..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Swathi:I think 20 or 21 is too early to marry.Atleast after gradution its ok.We will be matured enough by then.But i feel 24-25 is the right time to marry.I have seen some parents seeing some probs in Horoscope like, if they girl dont get married within 20 yrs , then it will happen arnd 27 and all..
    they marry off their children in a very young age and sometimes the relationship ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When i was doing BSc 2nd year, one of my seniors got married.Her parents hurried up because as per horoscope she should be get married within 6 months or else it will happen after 29 or so.So she got married and after 6 months the guy committed suicide.(for some other reasons and has nothing related to her).Just think of the state she is in...and the tough time she had faced.

    Slowly she came out of it and then when i heard abt her , she completed PG and is now working.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard this 'suicide' episode before..sounds familiar.....and the lady succumber.......and disaster struck.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joining Shail Aunty and Anoop in laughing at that innocent question ….. too cute.

    And I really wish we had lots of parents who thought on the same lines as Shail Aunty. And about children bowing down to emotional blackmail, its difficult not to… because I have seen some parents coming up with this “I bore you for 9 months”, “I spend so much for your education” reasonings and almost choke their kids with such blackmail. And the kids who stand up to these blackmails end up being labeled as “Ungrateful”. What I think is, since its difficult for most kids to stand upto such blackmail, I think they are just contending themselves by terming obedience to blackmail as love. Just my small bit, Shail Aunty/Swathi……. speaking from a “children(s)” point of view….…. *halo over the head* :-D

    And ask me what it feels during these interviews for arranged marriages... *grinding keyboard keys*

    One guy came to see me with his big family and all the inquiries were done by his uncle who was also single –

    Uncle: “Your mom said you had long hair, why did you cut it off?”
    Me: For fun. [in Malayalam – chumma……. oru rasathinu] *goofy grin*

    And so many other stupid questions like the above. Finally –

    Uncle: Do you have any questions?
    Me: Oh yes… are you “the” guy?

    I still have that doubt to this date. And no prizes for guessing this - now my parents always think a zillion times before asking me to meet a prospective husband.

    ReplyDelete
  22. nice write up:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Swati---yes dear, now i understand very well that marriages are sure made in heaven, under the special guidance of God, himself!


    sankaran---'suicide' threat works well ONLY for first time...if it fails then, it will never work again!!!


    priya---even for me, they hurried cos, it was told that if i dont get marrd b4 21, it will be after 29! even when i got marrd in 27,astrologer told that i can get marrd only after 29...i still dont undstand that!

    am so sorry to hear about the suicide episde!

    rajashree--((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

    kulffii----just imagine what would have happened if i got marrd with my mind full of project?? [God is great!!]

    thanks for voicing the child's state of mind while being submissive to blackmail...but dear, it wont work, always....only for first timers..he he he.....

    pssst...i know now,how that uncle remained single ***imagining the questions he would have asked, when it was really his turn!!!****

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow...best 360 ever, well narrated:)

    btw..did u try rock climbing and skydiving after that?:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. yes, and that's why few arranged one clicks and few love ones... you can't generalize on anything particular.Wanted to know- How you find your Hubby??

    ReplyDelete
  26. To Arfie: I understand the pressure on the kid when emotional blackmail is resorted to. And I do understand too that not everyone finds the answers to those questions and statements (parents coming up with this “I bore you for 9 months”, “I spend so much for your education” reasonings) at a young age as I did!! *halo over head* *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOL at that "romantic question" .. oh my... how did you manage that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. My first thought to comment was, 'wow, I don't know what to say,' but I guess it goes to show that everything does happen for a reason. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. *runs to GOC for answers*

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am glad you had a narrow escape there...

    And loving and agreeing to every word Shail has written here...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gosh and to think you could have succumbed to those activities right now as his wife. Eeeks.. hehe well whatever happens for the best, thank god tho. you missed it by :)). Kudos to your present life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really dont know what to say ..... yes , agre at 21 yrs of age things can be quite confusing ...atleast you had the courage to echo your desires to ur fathr to call it off.

    It sure was divine intervention in your ... I can hear my wife sigh and say not everyone is lucky...not everyone gets lucky,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Swathi, this is not a girls only tale...So everybody here thinks guys are from some other world and can happily marry a girl just by talking to her for 1/2 an hour...Just like girls, most guys also go thru the same amount of agony of marrying a girl who's totally unknown to him..

    I can tell my story...To me (before marriage, offcourse), I never could understand how two strangers can marry and leave each other happily..Most of the families I saw around me had problems, even my parents were living some sort of compromise life..my dad saying mum never understands him and both were unhappy. They were two extremes, dad being a jovial, fun loving, man who thought life is for enjoying, but with a huge temperament and mum, who lived like a sanyasi with no desires or wants..

    I grew horrified by the thought of marrying a stranger and vowed I'll never let it happen to me.(arranged marriage)..I was involved in relationships, but my parents were successful in cutting them off each time by threats and punishments. But, I finally found my girl, during B.Tech, she was my classmate and she knew me inside out during those four years and was still happy, knowing all my problems. The big problem again was our religion, everything being the same (status, wealth, education etc), she was nair and I was christian...Once our studies were over, her parents started looking for a boy...and she resisted for some time, her parents grew suspicious and asked her..if she had someone...and she told them...it was then all hell broke loose...the whole family, including her married sister threatened to commit suicide..and they immediately fixed her marriage with the last boy, who came to see her..

    In a desperate attempt, I also told my parents and my mother immediately told me, if this ever happens, i'll see only her dead body...My three younger sisters (not married at that time)turned against me, saying i'm ruining their future (ie, they will never get a good boy, if I bring disgrace to the family)...In the end, we both decided to part ways...and she married that guy and after a few years, I married a total stranger..the rest is history...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hei Swathi.

    Yup, that was a narrow escape out of a tough situation. Great that your life is good n interesting in the Old Ireland these days. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Swats..deja vu..! the same thing happened to be when i was 20! and guess what? the guy broke it off cos he said i wasn't modern enough for him..the truth was he was in love with someone else and was under pressure from his parents as well! phew!

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...