These are the "pheras" ie going around agni(fire) and it is common in all Hindu marriages almost all over India. But in Kerala, we do it only thrice. We say it as getting married as "agnisaakshi" means fire-god as the witness!! and that garland is made of "thulasi" leaves, which is considerd very sacred!
Friday, 23 December 2005
Our "saath phere" (we did only thrice!!!)
These are the "pheras" ie going around agni(fire) and it is common in all Hindu marriages almost all over India. But in Kerala, we do it only thrice. We say it as getting married as "agnisaakshi" means fire-god as the witness!! and that garland is made of "thulasi" leaves, which is considerd very sacred!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured post
The diary of a working mommy....
Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...
-
Once upon a time there was this little girl, who always thought that the reflection she saw in her mirror was not hers. When she turned 16, ...
-
Today is our first wedding anniversary(Jan 27,2005). As every couple we had plans to celebrate it in our own way,together. But he is in Irel...
-
I get so many messages every day. Some from âunknownâ readers about my blog. Some from âknownâ readers. Some â abusive ââ¦som...
-
Its such a mystery to me, sometimes why some people think in a particular way, I mean different from the majority. Some of those thoughts ...
-
So, what is the big deal? It will be just like your first day in school. You don’t have to worry. You will be fine. But what if I cou...
-
When we are born and brought up in one country and are made/choose to live in another-especially very much away, in another continent-“ cu...
-
I had never read an English story book other than my school books, till I reached 7 th std. I still remember a day when I was in 5 th st...
-
When you know you can’t get it, or it’s impossible to get it, then you feel like having it badly…..really very badly… this phenomenon is t...
-
Now a days I am under a very bad addiction. You can say it as a very bad influence Or a very nasty habit to keep my mind off! And I blam...
-
Yesterday I read Shailâs blog on her childhood experiences with classical dance and veena⦠she said, she even attended the â deeparadh...
Nice to read all this.
ReplyDelete