Tuesday 27 December 2005

To all future NRIs !!!


Hi guys this is actually a comment I posted in one of my friend's blog about name pronunciation. Chanakya thot it was really funny and wanted me to share it in my blog. It was like this:

 As every Indian born and brought up in India, and later shifted to Europe or US (in my case it was Ireland), I had problms in understanding their English(not Irish, which is entirely another language).And ofcourse they too faced the same problem with me!. The more I got confused the more I wanted to study their slang. My friend Marie, helped me. Eventhough she was Irish, I never had communication problems with her(I still don't know why!!!). I had a very embarrassing time, making myself idiot in front of her! She said not to worry cos , even she herself found in my shoes when she went to a different county than ours(within Ireland)!!!

 

Some samples:

 

1)  I went and asked her the meaning of arse-hole(which was "ass-hole" as Irish would write.)

 

2) I went and asked her all the words that they use to describe "to get drunk".For that she actually took me to a book-shop and bought me a book titled "Irish pub-language!!!!".

Thank her now I know, what my neighbors yell at Saturday nite parties!!!

 

3) I asked her the exact difference between beer and lager, cos I used to spent hrs reading alcohol percentage on each, deciding what to buy!!!

 

4) I asked her if "Guinness" was Ireland's official drink, as every Irish used its name while talking. (which was almost true!).

 

5)When I first saw  Hurling(Ireland's national game), I thot the stick was a real , handy weapon and the game was actually a fight!!!

 

6) Brinjal was alwayyyyyyyys "eggplant" there!!!

 

7) Mutton was alwaaays "lamb" there!!!

 

8)Curd was always "yoghurt" there!!

 

.......but still I saw the most polite people there, who were always patient to repeat things another 50 times for me!!!! I studied how to behave towards foreigners from them (for that matter Indians were not best!)

10 comments:

  1. i agree with u...western people have really patience...once i was looking way to post shop, i was new to aus...i asked an old lady..she is around 80 or so...instead of giving directions to the place...she walked along with me upto post shop...it was 15mins walk...til that time, i had a -ve opinion on them..then i realised they have helping nature

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious Swathi..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey 6,7,8 holds true here in US too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. gud one swathi but it always happens when v go out of india.sometimes most things v use here wuld be very strange.
    for e.g v r used to say always xerox but when v go out of india v had to call it photocopy if v ask someone to get xerox they wuld just stare at us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pradeep, as i was a house wife there, i encountered weird things in supermarkets!! only there we will find, all those different names...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey ,Swathi,U should put the orginal comment from that blog coz its more hilarious. I am putting it for u ,so others can read it.Sorry for not taking ur perimission.

    Guys, Swathi's comment

    "In Ireland(dont know where else!!!) ppl write arse and say "ass" (with the same meaning!). I didnt know the meaning, so i actually went and asked an irish woman what "arse" meant in a very serious matter and was embarassed for life!"

    I think Swathi u heard more from the Irish woman.Maybe u r hiding it from us.Anyway we can guess.HahahahaThis word"As...le is used every where .
    -Chanakya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swathi, that comment which you put in my blog was hillarious! I was laughing my head out on that "arse-ass" thing!!! LOL!!! Its cool that you shared the entire version of it as a blog entry itself.

    Thanks Chanakya, for sugesting her to put it in blog!!!

    As for that "Eggplant" thing, even after being brought up in dubai(where brinjal word is not used), I never knew that Brinjal and eggplant were the same. I realized this fact only very recently when I started cooking myself... for making "Hommous"(a pasty dip to be served with arabic bread) I was hunting for eggplant in a supermarket and.. Vallah.... found brinjal there!!!
    As for Irish pub-language, I never knew that there is a book existing for that...I am off to hunt for it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,thats great ,I always wondered about this eggplant?I had doubts it was brinjal.now its confirmed .Thx gals-chanakya

    ReplyDelete
  9. u know what! when i asked marie what "arse" is , she actually stood up and patted on her butt!!!she was laughing too hard that she literally "showed" me what "arse" is..and i had thot that it was actually a kind of hole!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swathi,
    Lucky for u she showed only half of what u asked!gosh,u r.....lol!

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...