Thursday 29 December 2005

A handful of ruby-red seeds!

I knew him only for 2 months. We first met in our math tuition class,during my first year of engineering. He was tall, fair and above all very friendly with everybody. It was his native place, while I came from another district and stayed in a hostel which was near our tuition-class. He made our otherwise dull class, lively with jokes and funny answers to my  master's questions. He usually got into his nerves, but we actually enjoyed their encounters. He was in his first yr of mech engg. As I was in different stream, we met only in tuition classes, and that too once in two weeks. We were not close friends , but I enjoyed his company.

 

There were lots of  "manjadi" trees near our tuition class. Once their fruits are dried, they break up and lots of "manjadi" seeds which looked like ruby- stones where all over there. And I was fascinated by these nature's ruby-stones, I used to collect them frantically, after our tuition class. I didn't have much time to collect cos, after tuition class, it was almost dark and we had to run to hostel. Everybody made fun of me for collecting those ruby red seeds, but I continued with my craziness!

 

One Friday, after class, I started my usual hobby of collecting those ruby-seeds. Usually I was alone, but after some time I noticed, my funny friend sitting beside me on road-side and collecting those ruby-red seeds. We didn't

Talk. His friends were calling him to go home and not to sit with that "crazy girl". But after collecting so many "rubies" for me, he gave it to me and asked me to go to hostel, as it was getting very dark. He said that the area was not good, after dark ,and that he had helped me, to get to hostel early. And as my usual collection was doubled due to his help, I was extremely happy. I thanked him and went.

 

I reached home on Saturday and Sunday morning, I woke up with my mom, holding a news paper . She asked "do u know this boy?". And there I saw, my funny friend's stiff body, as being picked up from Kallar waterfall. I cudnt answer her. I looked at the dark, unrecognizable body...no, it wasn't my friend. But the news said "yes". He had told me on Friday , that he was going  for a trip to Kallar, which is a tourist spot. And on Sunday what I see is this.

 

I didn't go to his funeral, while all my other friends went, which was on Monday. I didn't want to erase that pleasant, friendly face, by seeing his dead body. He is still in my memory, as I saw him last time, sitting beside me collecting ruby red seeds.

 

I never collected ruby red seeds again, but I kept it with me till last year, when a small kid begged me, if I could give it to her. I gave that entire box of ruby-red seeds to her and told "Promise me that u will never throw it away!". She promised and was so thrilled to get my entire collection. I didn't tell her who was with me when I last collected them and what happened to him...

15 comments:

  1. man tht made my eyes kinda num...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hay swathi u have lot of unforgettable memories with u.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its very touchy...loosing a friend forever is really a big disaster...i m sorry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too hve lost some of my good friends in accidents and relatives who were too close to my hearts. I never attended any of their funerals for the same reason...personally i dont want 2 attend any funerals..reading ur blog brings back old memories...even ur previous one too...hope sharing ur feeling will help u feel better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. KF--even while writing that,i felt tears sting my eyes.
    aravind-- yes, i do have. and i treasure them alot.
    madhu, itsjustme--i have lost one more frnd like this..but i never think that i lost them completely.i always remember the good time, i had with them and feel that i havent lost them.
    -swathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. well swathi... i know the feeling. i had this very close friend. we did our schooling and college(pre degree) together. he commited suicide. usually he used to tell me his problems, but after we left college we couldn't keep in touch so often. i came to know of his death when i was not here, and i couldn't even make it to his funeral. i had never felt so worse. still his memories are with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ur blog, remind me many friends.Some did suicide,some killed in disputes ,Many in accidents.Each had left behind with me,some good memories.What hurts me is that I could saved some of them except those died in accident,if I had known their probelms.Alas ,I always was the last to know.
    Anyway this incident is quiet touching.Gosh ,u had suffered enough ,lady.Lets hear some of ur happy momments.
    -Chanakya

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1 thing....forget it....yeah....post something happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey you got TEARS in my eyes after a long time...
    Can't say more than this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wish all our friends be with us always.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really touching. I dnt know what to say..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man...u made me cry!May his soul rests in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swathi, I see a world famous writer's spark in you ! Write more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou so much.....these are almost 10 yrs old blogs.

      Delete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...