Monday 3 July 2006

Women Power!


Its noon here and as usual I am skipping lunch. I know crash dieting is not good, but taking a lot of coffee had made me loss my appetite. You know what my current work is? Making a big excel sheet of all the work I have done. I just made some changes in 51 files and now I am made to keep a record of what all I did. I hate preparing documents. The documentation will be done my some one and the implementation will be done by some one else. The result? The document looks like the description of an elephant as seen by a blind man. Or is it the other way round?


 


When I was sitting at home for 3 months, cooking, cleaning, watching TV and waiting for my hubby to come back, 24 hrs looked like a life long time to me. Before that when I was single and working, I never ever thought about home. There was always Amma, for that. Now… I just don’t know what I am doing. Even while I am working on a particular thing, my mind will be planning how to do the pending works, once I finish the current job. Works may include both at office and home.


 


I have never seen even a single man managing more than one thing at a time. For eg: my husband can’t cope with the idea of cooking 2-3 dishes at a time. When I ask him “We will put the second dish in the other burner..” He says “no, let this one finish first”. And I say “if we do simultaneously, we can save time”. But no.. He can’t concentrate on 2 things at a time. Not his fault… its in his genes.


 


I want to praise the soul of all working moms in the world. I asked my colleague in Ireland, who is a working mom, how she manages and she told “simple, I won’t cook at home”. And I was wonderstruck. The working moms of Kerala were never like that. I have seen those ladies work like machines from 5 am till 12pm. Do they have special abilities? They make breakfast, lunch and dinner [while I make only dinner]. They have minimum 2 kids [while I have none]. They use public transport [I rarely use them]. And still… I feel like being on my knees and saying “hallelujah” to them. So much for underestimating women power!! I feel I am not even a woman, when compared to them.


addition: Men CAN do multitasking. But they just cant juggle different types of mutltitasking, like remembering grocery list, minding the baby, planning to do next days office task list[includes, meeting, presentation], getting a good bargain ---altogether simulatneously. Men CAN mutlitask only different tasks in the office.. like planning meetings, presentation, managing job list etc.. NO mixing and matching.

25 comments:

  1. Hey a very good blog!! Three cheers to women power!! Only we can truly multitask, efficiently!! Though I am not a working mom, but am not a stay-at-home mom either. God knows which idiot phrased that term!! Someone I know once quipped "oh I see you work 24 hrs a day but don't get paid"...
    I really aprreciate the working moms as they give so much... God knows how they manage to do so much in the same 24 hrs we all get...

    ReplyDelete
  2. its in his genes. ....Squeeese ME !>....( well thats gonna be a humangouds task !..ehhe ) .... The blast gave me some ideas !..lolz !....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i do multitasking ....cooking and gaming and ultimately blowing up the kitchen !....:-( ...

    In office ...i do !...work ...orkut ...360 ...and keep out for the managers !...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have been a male in a previous life because I cook the same way (one dish at a time). LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hip hip hurrey.. may my would be learn something from this blog. :))
    very nice blog buddy..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog and this gave another reason to think about a woman who was working and raised two kids alone - my mom.
    Genes..? Did you mean to say that men are bad in multitaskin? If thats what you meant, be ready for a blog war :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swathis,
    This is indeed a good blog.You know I was working till my first one was born, Somehow I have a storng prejudice that if i work & take care of family I can't give 100% dedication to both .Staying home with kid is also a 24/7 job ,ofcourse you won't get paid for that.Even I feel envy to those ladies who manage work & Family:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoorey to Varkey..if u mean that men r bad at multitasking, be ready for worl war III... i donts ay that all men can do like most women do, but, there are many who can pull it off better than women...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yep swati that was a wonderful blog.. haha true men know only to multitask with the webpages and tasks on their systems whereas women as wonderful..hats off n kudos to all the womenfolk of the world...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah !...Anoop is pointing towards me !..thanks anoop !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog reminds my blog regarding my wife's work.
    http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-595fBxs6eqsq1E8TZeGOJNTbWvLT?p=653
    Women's power is visible there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Manu and Varkey, we have to join our hands.... The highlighted part of ur blog is not true..we can do mix-n-match multi tasking. may be, just may be, u havnt seen any men who can do that... :) "like planning meetings, presentation, managing job list etc" is not multitasking...it is simple stuff.... seems like we 3 have to buckle up and show you how good we r @ multi tasking :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i guess so !...waitin for Com V!~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree manu and anup. Operation antifemini

    ReplyDelete
  15. have y interest in physics?????????????

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice blog Swathi I particularly enjoyed the one about the second dish being put on the burner only after the first one is done.ROTFL. ...and we have all four burners going plus thousand other things too!!! And about the women who juggle career and home back in Kerala, whose lives begin at 4 or 5 a.m. and go upto 12 midnight, they do miss out on a lot of things by taking on everything. It would do well to skip a bit of cooking and relax sometime. They sure are catching on, with so many ready and made to order home made things available here in plenty now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice blog swathi.. Yes men cannot do multitasking in real life or mess it up in the end. Its the ability or god's gift to women of non-stop multitasking skills. I have wondered my mother was working even she was sick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Swathi,

    Atlast a blog without a picture in flickrs.com to comment! You know my difficulty.

    While appreciating the women on multi-tasking,can I say Men are practicing "Live for the Moment"?!!! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anybody taught you feminine power is inferior.? No way. The power to carry, give birth...Thats superior divinity Indeed. somewhere down the dark ages, we lost respect to our mothers, and generally females.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cheers to Women Power....cheers to us....we can ....man can't!

    BTW...how r u? Hope u r ok by now...Take Rest...n have a Great Day

    ReplyDelete
  21. Women are very good at multi-tasking. Taking care of home and office together is really great. After marriage she leaves her family and joins a new family and makes it up.

    Did you hear about women... driving and doing make up at the sametime.... Multi-tasking....I bet... men can't do that.

    Cheers,
    Santosh

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Swathi...

    I really like your second paragraph. I can relate to it a lot and makes me think how much I take my mom for granted.

    After reading your blog, Swathi I have sworn to myself that I wont allow my mom to complain anymore about me not finishing off my chores.

    ReplyDelete
  23. sab---u r very correct dear! dont get paid. if some of us chose to get apid.. then those ppl wouldnt have been what they are now!

    manu----yea, blowing up the kitchen also get include in one of the multitasks u do.

    lisa--even i think so, LOL

    sudhir--thanks alot....

    varkey---kudos for ur mom! men are not bad in multitasking..they are just difft, thats all.

    vani---thanks alot for dropping by,.u r very true, dear

    xh---men can pull it off! yea, but i still doubt it!

    anki--thanks alot, dear!

    manu---yea, anoop was right.. blowing up kitchen, needs patience and time, u know...

    sekhar--thanks!

    anoop---i am hearing...i am hearing...

    manu, varkey--- 3 men against 1 woman?? naaaah... u must increase ur team power!!

    akshay---not much interest in physics, now a days!

    shail---u r very correct. i sometimes wonder why they wont get a nervous breakdown! now my generation girls dont do like that! those ladies were my moms generation!

    sridhar---yea..moma always do..i think its their spcl abilty!!

    maddy---live for the moment?? imagine if our MOMs lived for the moment???

    max---yes, very true.... infact i am very impressed!

    jia---thanks dear!

    arfana---kisses to u, dear! god bless ur mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. santhosh---i got ur point santhosh. In Ireland, women drivers have less insurance premium to pay for car insurance. the difference is almost 100o euro[58,000 INR]. do u know why? cos the insurance companies think that they are the safest drivers. they think they are less prone to accidents and they have this rule based on facts and figures of road accidents during past 15 yrs. now, does that make any difference to you???
    note: have you ever SEEN a woman doing make up while driving ? [except in films/commercials]

    ReplyDelete
  25. hai swathi, nice blog,uuu really nice abt woman

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...