Friday 21 July 2006

The end of a yellow swing ...

Image
In our old house, we had 2 swings in a single mango tree, in 2 branches. The smaller one with the yellow plastic ropes was the first swing in our house-hold. As soon as it was made, I self-proclaimed, its ownership to keep my cousin away from it. [“MY dad made it!”-was my reason ]. But the elders didn’t reckon my “gunda-ship” and soon made another one, for my cousin. Truly, it was far better than mine. It was much larger, and its seat was made of flat-wood, while mine was cylindrical.[oh!! That made my bum sore!! ]
 
To my utter shock and despair, she never got up from it. She ate, talked and spent more than 5 hrs a day in that. I waited like a “planning murderer” to get hold of it. I tried blackmailing her or luring her with some “goli” [colourful pebbles!!!] in exchange of the new swing’s ownership… naaah! She was not “that” type! She had the ability to think, u know…So, I waited and waited…
 
When she went to her dad’s house, I jumped with joy. I was in her swing 24 hrs a day. I sat in it… then when I got bored, I stood on it. Then I sat with my legs on either side… I swung lengthwise and even breadth wise… finally I had enough! Fine! Now that’s the fun you get, when you enjoy others things in their absence!!! Certainly I did enjoy!!!
 
When she came back, I wasn’t so desperate this time. I have “known” the fun, now. But still, there was this gnawing feeling inside me that she had a better and nice swing. Our playmates preferred to be with her. They took turns in using her swing. Because of my not-so-good behaviour when I “owned” the yellow swing, I was prevented from using the new swing! Amma told : “You didn’t share your old swing with her. So now you are not entitled to share her swing!”. Now you know why I considered her as my rival. Even my Amma supported her…**scowl**. See, I hated her for a valid reason, u know… I was 6 then, and I know I had relatively less bad behaviour for a 6 yr old!!!
 
Now, after 20 + years, my own yellow swing is gone... It suffered a natural death, when the parent branch went down on a heavy monsoon . And I wasn’t living there any more to mourn!! But the mango tree is still there and to my utter disbelief, my cousin’s swing is undamaged [that swing is 22 yrs old!!!! ]. It can carry even my current weight.[he…he..he] Whenever I go there, I will spend at least 2 hrs in that swing, to compensate for all those desperate years of “swing longing” LOL!!!
 

13 comments:

  1. i do remember one in my house !...some 10 years back !...swing goes high !...high !..high !...*tadapahsssadnas***...I get up from the ground with two of my teeth in my hand !...:-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were a " vazhakkali " then too !..eh ?...old habits die hard ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheeeze--- that explains ur difficulty in smiling... **LOL*** ippazhum, pallilla allae?

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D ....I am one who loves to make people smile ...rather than me smiling !....**what was that ?...**

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swathi you are so good in narrating the happenings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swing...r mine favourite too....well at my mumma's place we use to have big Swing inside our house…n u wont belive but all together total 4 Swing we have it…one in living room, one in Backyad, one in Kitchen n one on Tarece....Well there r so many memories with Swing…good & bad……After my wedding I miss Swings at my in-lows place. Also there was no space to keep that…..and now I missed here too.

    Thanks for reminding memories with Swings

    ReplyDelete
  7. excellent narration. I love swings... never miss a chance to be on them whenever I take the kids to a park!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Qoute: "Then I sat with my legs on either side… I swung lengthwise and even breadth wise… finally I had enough!"

    LOL... that was hillarious. Trust me.. you were truly an angel at 6yrs old....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this earlier, but I kept losing Internet connection all day today. :-\ I still play on the swings every chance I get. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This brings to memory, the Onam days of a long ago...! Yup Swathi, it was just like your narrative...!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  11. sekhar---thanks a lot!

    anu---4 swings!! oh! that sure is a lot!! thanks for dropping by!

    sab--thanks dear!!

    arfana-- i really did..even now, i know how to swing breadthwise, and then crash against the tree...LOL!!

    lisa--thanks lisa..for dropping by...

    devi--Onam!!..for us everyday was Onam, cos of swings!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swathi, you write beautifully! Enjoyed reading this..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swathi, You are very good at making Non-Living things into Living things simply by your narration. Earlier it was the scooter/Bike.Now it is the swing!!

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...