Monday 31 July 2006

A level headed thot!

As some of you may know, I am in orkut community. And one day I happened to see a community “we hate India”, in orkut. I went there and found it so hurting for my self-esteem [or patriotism] that I asked every friend in my community to go there and report it as bogus. I don’t know who all did. But I got replies from Sab and Janu that they did it with me.



I got this mail, after that….




 The text is:

Hi
Did you know there us a "we hate....." for just about every country? I had a look at the I Hate Ireland community and found it full of Brazilians telling the critics to go home if they weren´t happy there. Give it a chance, give people who know india a chance to defend the country.
As India becomes more powerful and richer, you are guaranteed to see even more criticism and negativity towards your country....its just the way it is.....relax and enjoy...at the end of the day, nobody will get hurt by criticism.
Finally, the rich history and culture of India is strong enough to sustain a great deal of criticism.
Best regards
Michael
I read it once, then again and again…

At first it didn’t make any sense to me [my head was clouded by anger towards the “we hate India” community]. But then I realised. He is right. “We hate India” occurred because; somebody found India’s growth threatening. Somebody was jealous of its growing power and influence. If India was 100% poverty stricken, defenceless with zero military, with 100% illiterate population, will they ever give it a damn??  NEVER… then India would never even come into their wildest dreams, not even as a friend!



 For the first time, I saw a level headed person, who made others think in a calm and cool way. He made me think level headed. He made me look from another perspective. I don’t know him, as he is not in my friends list. But this is for him, who opened my eyes to a different view!



Thank you, Michael. This is for your level headedness!

15 comments:

  1. NO ONE IN THIS EARTH could stop India from growing ..

    It is the unity and the patriotism ..that we have will certainly lead us to the peak.. may what so ever..people from other part of globe say.

    We shall take it as s constructive critisism and march forward.

    JAI HIND

    ~ king

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a good reply...hats off to him

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a sensible way to look at things .None the less it s quite disturbing when you read hate comments about your country .

    ReplyDelete
  4. i get atleast 100 messages regarding this !....Report it or something !...Some D***heads Trying to pull people into talks !...Thats what they mean to me !....And what should we do ? ...start another one saying " I HATE ********" ...na !....

    IF it gets shaken by this , something done by a bunch of assholes !.....let it be !..

    Manu !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Swathi, sometimes we are too swayed by emotions especially about things we are passionate about... but having a person who can clearly see what is really happening and helps us in seeing that is wonderful. At times they are like our saviours!! I am glad you found someone who did that for you. And clearly people are jealous of our country's booming economy and high rate of development.
    I try not to be affected too much.. but kya karein... Indians are mostly emotional about a lot of issues, including this. Having a friend to put things in right perpective helps a lot.
    And I am happy you found one.

    I thank you Michael for doing this for Swathi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael did have a good point there..and i agree with Sab about how we tend to overreact sometimes when we are overcome by emotions...but your anger has a meaning and its alright to vent out..

    ReplyDelete
  7. cheesyManu..you forgot to star "assholes" :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jo : Swats is grown up for that ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why GOd why !...My comments leave a trail !...EIther Varkey , Swats or ...now its EERR-Fanaa and Jo !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prejudice holds no color... no matter in which way, whether it be race, handicap, religion, rich, poor, whatever, SOMEONE is always going to be prejudiced against SOMETHING... It doesn't make it any easier to deal with, no, but just remember, remarks like that ("I hate...") are only done out of the ignorance of others. **Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  12. Manu you are jinxed with the trail-a-comment curse ..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow... so true and so well said... one has to face criticism only when becomes threatening enough... its a compliment... i must add in its own way :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love Micheal's reply.. its so true.. no one would criticize if they weren't threatened enough, and it is obvious that india is growing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heartfelt gratitude to Michael for this.

    And thanks for sharing it Swathi.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...