Tuesday 25 July 2006

The man who flew wearing blue!!!


I first saw the magic thing called “television” in my neighbor’s house. The year was 1983. It was on my mom’s cousin’s house. Kamala chechi came to our home [both houses were in the same compound!], one afternoon, and told amma “Chechi, sent ur kids to our home. My brother has brought this TV and a VCR with some cassettes, from Gulf. We are going to put a film for the kids”. I was so excited. To start with, I didn’t know what the hell she was saying. ImageBut we have this excitement for unknown things, right? That was it.Image
 I gobbled my lunch as fast as I could, [I remember that I had stomach pain afterwards!]Image and was waiting at our doorstep, to get a call from kamala chechi. Finally she called “swathiiiii”. And I ran, faster than an arrow Image[I am pretty sure about that].

They had closed every single window in their sitting room. Even the air-holes were stuffed with clothes, so that it was pitch dark inside. I felt like entering a film theatre. There where almost 8-10 ppl in that single room, including 3 kids.Image We children had our seats on the floor. And soon the film started in a small square box, which was “Dyanora TV”.[later I learned it]. I didn’t understand the movie at all. There was this man who flew, who wore blue dress when he flew, and whose parents were killed, when he was a boy!!! [oooh! That made me sob!!Image] Yea, u guessed it right!!! It was the greatest movie of the life time: Superman(1978) !!!!! Image

After the film, I came out of the darkened living room, clutching my frock and blinked at the sunlight. ImageI was feeling so sorry for the boy who lost his parents [that was the only thing that touched my heart!!! I didn’t care what he did when he grew up. [He flew or saved the world, I don’t care!!!!Image] . I was wondering how he grew up with NO parents!!!!. Image

I went home, with a very heavy heart. I was so sad that the one which aroused my expectation to sky high, ended so tragically!!! ImageI told amma crying; “Ammaaaa, it was very sad… they showed blood [I was very scared of it!!]. And this boy’s parents were killed. I will never see TV again!!!”. It depressed me for next 2-3 weeks that I vowed I will never even go near “the TV”.


Now after 22 yrs, I saw “Superman Returns”, with my hubby and was laughing like hell, when superman carried an airplane, a rocket, a car, a train, and even a new continent in his own back! Can you believe that, a whole damn continent!!! ImageImage
Ie how you change… from sobs to mocking laughter……..as you lose ur innocence!! Image

note: The movie led to three theatrical : Superman II (1980), Superman III (1983) and Superman IV: The Quest For Peace (1987), as well as several canceled sequel attempts after 1987. The 2006 film Superman Returns continues from the first sequel.

21 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!
    hmmmm born in 1983... i had a TV at home even before i opened my eyes... but lolz! I was reminded of some discussion in office... the TV stories of my senior colleagues...
    lolz!!! what a rhyming title...
    wonderful blog as usual...

    and hey when did u watched TV for the second time... lolz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our first experiences are always the most cherished ones...Nice to hear about your initiation into the world of the tube..I was too young to even r'ber mine...Seems like one almost grows up with it..like family...lol..
    Yes Superman,20 years ago ,the concept of Superman carrying trains and aeroplanes would have seemed fine..but it was ridiculous of its makers to believe that the audience of today would ever accept that..But I guess the kids still enjoy it....My son did..So I guess in a way you are right ..the attitude is totally due to a loss of that innocence...Take care...Regards,Husna

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm wow soo interesting ... really so sweet memory... :)

    here is my experience with TV
    well TV starts in 1982 and first show on the TV is the opening ceremony of asia games... my dad bought a B/W TV before 2 month of the first TV telecast (he has a doubt ki kahi out of stock na ho jaye :D) ... and just after 15-6 days he went to TV store with TV and said "bhai sahab, mujhe ye TV nahi chaiye ... Issmai maza nahi aaraha ... replace this with Coloure TV." so we got Colore TV that time ... hmm Western TV model is Gold Star... We daily sees the trackings of the TV ... only 11 channels are the we swichted them and see the tracking of different colours he he he what a days... and one day our neibours came at night 1.00 o clock and says that open the TV "APPU" is comming on TV (The mascot for the games was "Appu" a kid elephant.)

    We tuned the TV try every channel one by one to see the telecast ... and atlast we found that in 9th channel :) that's my first show on TV... "opening of asia games"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess this is what growing up does.... take away our innocence and imagination. I used to love Star Trek on TV. Remember every sunday morning on doordarshan (as if we had more than one channels)? Now I can hardly sit through an episode!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes i remember ab Superman as if i was dreamming i was too little when it was "in fashion", now i didn't see the new movie yet, hope to do it soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well can't remember first experiance for watching TV...but i was so crazy for cartoons and then when i grew up i was very found of CHITRAHAR...which use to come on Door darshan on Wed & Fri @ 8.00 am...

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry..8.00 PM...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was never really into Superman, but saw the movies anyway... Didn't see the new one yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TV !....My parents had a tough time getting me off teh thing once started letting me watch it !....i don rem the anything !...but i know that the first TV which we had had its demise by my own hands !....i was playing SAT or kallanuma policum with a friend !...and i hid behind teh TV ..The gal found me hiding and out of frutration i threw a punch !...infact pushing the TV out of the stand !..From that day i have been studying electronics !.....

    Was a nostalgic post , though not a good one !..i still remember getting beaten by mom for that... **SOB**..

    ReplyDelete
  10. i used to watch cartoons eevryday and never mnissed one show !( its the same now also !) ....and mom used to call the " kuttikalude paripadi " on DD as " Pattikalude Paripadi" .... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. where does SUperman do his laundry ?....**thinking**

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am I the only one here who has not grown up??? I freaked out watching Superman Returns...was more excited than any child in the theatre! And me all of 47!! Mocking laughter? Never occured to me!! Ha, what if he carried trains and continents....its all so unbelieveble and as such too wonderful !!! I lived in that world for that duration.....!! Was sorry to walk out when it got over!!!! ***sigh***

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superman Returns Suxx !...Sorry to say this !...Spacey was ( as always !) too good !

    ReplyDelete
  14. :D Nice read! Superman returns! Memory returns! =))

    GOD bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great trip back in time. My dad not to be outdone got a black n white TV at the first available chance. I still remember with amusement how he used to get guys to hoist an antenne on a long pole hoping to get srilanka TV. Pretty persistent man my dad. Was at it for days. Me I knew it was a futile atempt the program kept fading every five minutes. Give me a movie theatre any day. There was a thumping sale for TVs back in the 84s for watching the Asian games. Thanks for taking us back Swati.Anyhow like Shailji I wasnt an innocent child like you. I was a grown man with my own moushtache Lol. Regards Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovleen---u r lucky to have a TV b4 u were born! thanks for the cmplmnts showered thru msgs...2nd time, hmm.. i dont remember..but i remember watching nadia komenechi in gymnastics in Asian games!

    Husna---u r very correct... if i was a kid, i would have behaved the same way...not only me, but all other grownups were laughing at the theatre then!

    rinku---thanks!!i still remeber asiad appu...even we used to see the grains in TV and use our imagination to make it up into images!we had 12 channels and i still remeber the starting tune of doordarshan with satyam, shivam, sundaram as the logo!! i can even sing that tune, now!!! LOL!

    sab---remember "Giant Robot"?? i lost my first teeth , while eating biscuit and watching it! LOL!!!

    Jugni---u should... u can enjoy like shail or laugh like me!!

    anu---chitrahaar came long after i strated viewing DD[does that makeme old?]

    lisa---u should... not a very bad one...

    cheeeze---SAT kalichu "TV podichu" alle?thank God, ur punch didnt land on the gal!!! u must have been studying anatomy, then????LOL!
    do u remeber "poomottukal" in wednesdays??? or was that in my "zamana"???
    pattikalude paripaaadi--great name!!
    he must be using "live-in" laundry...[remember live-in jeans ad, with the guy emerging from washing machine???]

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember the first TV being invented by J.L Baird, infact learning about that. About the real T.V at home, it was at my home that miracle happened first in our neighbourhood. Since then, I have been skipping classes, losing sleep, fighting with parents and my brother to worhsip that little god in our living room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow!!! ru popular or what? nyways superman is a wierdo....and i think he shouldnt be allowed to show off so much.....nice writeupswathi!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yeah i even we do the same sees the tracking and asuming the pictures... we watch that hours .... wow what a days ...
    ****:)****

    hai do you remember the name of that cartoon character that time blue colour creature that can change shapes evertime .... hmm :( i forgot the name but i love to watch that ... oh do you remember

    ReplyDelete
  20. yai i got the name of that toon... That's "barba papa" have you remember that one....

    ReplyDelete
  21. i used to watch da man in green mask..:D...
    THE MASK cartoon a lottttttttttttttttttttttttttttt...i dun like superman but i luv....bat man series..:D

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...