Wednesday 18 July 2007

A Passport size photo story.


Two weeks back with the Glasgow bomb scare and the Indian doctors in custody, we went very much into panic mode. Mainly because we had plans to visit London next month for one week. Apart from the money already spent on hotel accommodation and air tickets we had another issue too. Our visit visas were in process and I almost expected them to get rejected. May be due to my pessimism, our visa applications were duly rejected the next day. But the reason was different. My passport size photo didn’t have the white background that they insist for visa applications.



grey background photo, which got rejected.


Didn’t I read the guidelines for visa application? Being an organized Virgo, how would I ever miss it? I did. But to be frank, when I remembered my last ‘experience’ with passport size photo, I kind of ignored it. It’s not so easy to get a ‘passable’ passport size photo here. What we have here mostly are those Kodak booths, with a square inch dark space inside which more or less work like vending machines. The only difference is that after putting the money into machine, we have to sit still for some seconds, when the machine takes photo. Now if you are not familiar with them (like me) you will end up spending 6 euros or more for taking pictures of your T shirt or hands or part of your tummy.

Last time, when I tried, I spent more than 12 euros to get my upper body photographed without my head anywhere near it. No. It was not my mistake. The person who used the booth previously was apparently very much taller than me and made the adjustments according to his/her height. And with my special (!) rapport that I have with machines, I sat there and just pressed the first button I saw. The machine suddenly went on flashing and clicking with a 'plop' before my mind could register that it is taking photo. I sat there blinking at its sudden response and looking for the button to stop. The result was two photos of mine looking here and there for the stop button, two photos of mine looking stunned at the fast responding camera, and two photos of faceless me with a part of chin ,neck and arms, when I finally found the stop button.

Twelve euros spent without even a single photo of my full face caused a family feud. I tried to tell my husband that it was not my fault that I was short. And his logic that I should have adjusted the machine didn’t seem like any valid reason to me. So, I didn’t want to go to that dark-booth again. Honestly it really had an eerie atmosphere to it. I might have thought that UK embassy may show some leniency with my grey background photo! Well, they didn't.


Any way when the visa application was rejected with this reason mentioned, there wasn’t any other way left but to take a white-background photo. But I was adamant, that even if I can’t go to London, I won’t get into that booth again. [I think I have that phobia of closed dark spaces!]. So we asked a Fuji shop owner whether they took passport size photos. They did, but only with Polaroid cameras –the same one which were in those booths. But this time, a human being snapped the picture rather than the machine itself. That was the biggest relief for me!

This shop had a main entrance door which was painted white on half of one side with a stool in front of it. When she asked me to sit down there, suddenly I realized how I missed the photo studios in India. They had make-up room with combs, talcum powder and even bindis. They had two or three reflectors and big flashes. Here, there was nothing… not even a decent flash! They didn’t even have a closed room. The photo was taken in the one and only room- reception -in front of a white painted door. Now I had only one prayer. God! Please let my face be visible in that photo! Back in India, I used to criticize every photo taken in the studio and complained that it was horrible and the cameraman made me look bad. Now I just wanted my face to be present in the photo!

God heard my prayer and my face was there in the photo, as well as the white back ground. I don’t have copies of this photo because of its Polaroid nature. But it served the purpose. Our visa got approved and we are ready to visit London next month!


white background polaroid photo, which got approved.

Next time, when I go to India, a photo with white background is in my wish-list!


34 comments:

  1. This made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I sympathise. I empathise. Mostly I completely relate! I still carry around with me a passport photograph taken, now 3.25 yrs ago (shhh... don't tell anyone) in Bahrain where they have studios like the ones in India, with the hope I can use them everywhere. Only, I can't: Blue background :(

    I've tried the booths - similar experience. I now have a pictographic birds eye view of my head thanks to the 'Booth experience'. And they cost such a fortune. To add insult to injured pride, my husband is a professional photographer and he refuses to take a passport picture of me - he is of the 'need studio/lighting' ilk!

    Nice blog giving people an inside view of what life is really like in the 'West' - not as many of us had imagined - well, certainly not me!

    When you come to London - look me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo and I'm FTC and STC! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... you should have blogged the snaps as well... this blog would have been complete then!!... Ho... enikku vayya...

    aaaahhh..... the woes a photograph can give you! :o)

    Looking forward to your London Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got that straightened out. Here, for passport photos, you can get them done at the post office, in fact that's where you would go to get your passport as well... Anyway, just some useless information I guess. Make sure you take/post some pictures of your trip to London. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun in Londonium...All I have to do is post one copy each of my passport size photos over the years..will be enough to have the entire 360 sniggering for days. Many of them needless to say make me look like someone from the Wanted Dead or Alive profiles you see :-)...Well you've done much better and are on your way.....have a great time again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you apply for visa in middle east countries, i think the photo should be in blue background....make a note...

    ReplyDelete
  7. sunder: that IS news for me. I was about to throw away those blue background ones..God! is there any way we could change just the background of photos!

    Manju: I know exactly what you mean,dear.... do you know how much i prayed so that i dont look like a 'suicide-bomber' in those photos. With london immigration guys, I have to wait and see what they think of me errr.. my photo! oh... God!

    Lisa: Post office? passport size photos? and passport too? Do machines take photos there or the postmaster turned cameraman? Just thinking about the local post office here where the only employee is a very old woman! wonder how that photo would look, if she took it! LOL... sure will post london pics!

    arfie: I have that 'body snaps' in my handbag. I will post them, if i could take pics of them in my mob cam. let me give you something to REALLY laugh at!

    Mina: you are FTC and STC.... and my empathiser and sympathiser....bird's eye view of ur head! Glad you didnt have the closeup photograph of your tummy, like i did.! and yes, I spent 12 euros for my tummy photo, too! it feels really really good when someone can support me in saying "West is not always the 'west' we think"... ! and yes, after this photo experience, i think i must set up a studio here, just for passport size photos, along with low-cost hair-cutting salons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. waiting for those 'pics'

    anyways, my mood was not ok, but ur blog made me smile.. thanks swathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Mina, I sympathize and empathize. There is a whole page explaining the Amercian passport photo requirements which I give to the local French photographer. Still they once got rejected. I think the upper bit of my left ear was missing or something like that. It can be cheaper in the long run to go to the photographer because then if it's mesed up, it's his fault and you don't have to keep putting money in the machine.

    I've never been to London yet. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe you can ask your Fuji Phot shop guy to post an ad outside his shop, "Manned by Man!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some one takes the picture and the person stand in front of white backdrop for the passports here too. You have to remember though, you have to go to the actual post office(s) because over here they also have, I guess what you would call drop offs or whatever, where they are manned by people, but you only get the basics from them, buying stamps, sending packages, etc., but no passport opps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank God...you got your passport photo & got the visa accepted after all:)

    Now I'll be waiting for your blogs on your forthcoming London trip...

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol.....U should have used an image editing tool to put up a white background to your rejected photo or added your head from another of your photos to the torso only photos. Then the 12euros would have been an worthwhile investment & would have also left your husband a little happier. Now let me sit back and laugh again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will not believe this, but for my kids' passport and visa things, I clicked their pictures and then sized and cropped as per the requirement. Here in US the rules are quite stringent, so I always make sure I cover the whole ground... In fact I even made passport size pictures for my mother-in-law when she needed them urgently. Honestly I do it on my own to save time and again like there in Ireland, we don't have too many people-operated places to get passport size pictures with those specifications...

    I am glad you got it all done although not without agony... Enjoy London. Say hello to Mina for me.

    Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  15. See.... didnt I tell you that it will be complete?

    Come to think of it Shwathi.... these snaps are good for keep sake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This such an excellent write up Swathi!! Still laughing at the way you have presented the whole thing!! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hilarious blog, but I am glad you sorted it in the end. Too bad they don't have any decent place to take Passport photos near your place. Here there is one in every copier shop. Have fun in London. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tell me about white background passport size pics....The US consulate here in Dubai has few more instructions as to how your photo should be.....white background, so many cm x so many cm etc etc......Gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. :)Thank goodness we still hv those elaborate studios here in India.I remember seeing something like this happening in the "Just for laughs Gags" show on TV but there the photos were deliberately clicked at a wrong time to fool the unsuspecting public & you seem to hv achieved this feat all by yourself.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh! can't believe you went thru such an experience! :-)
    The last pic looks like you are caught right in the middle of some mischief!

    I think even Bahrain is much better than Ireland in that matter, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. vinita: i have posted 'them'. if i could make one peson smile, i am happy! .. :-)

    djd: welcome to my page! u r right that the US passport/visa requirements are crazy.. cos the photographer told us that if it is for US visa they wont do it! yes, u r right that its easy to go to (blame) the photographer than the machine! and thank you!

    sankaran:yes, he MUST do it, so that ppl like me dont wander around looking for 'manual' ones!

    lisa: i didnt know that there were 'real' and 'virtual' post offices(anywhere in the world). i thought all the local post offices were 'real' ones, i mean from where we get stamps etc. i dont know if there is any 'real' post office here!

    sindhu: yep...if nothing goes wrong, i may able to post those blogs, too!

    kannan:i thot of using an image editing tool... but again, i am not a pro in that area. Also i dont think morphing head from my old photo to my new torso will fit! LOL! my husband got really angry that he tore all the other photos except the four, i saved!

    sabiha: yep, i did the click-size-crop on my own,too. but it came with offwhite background which was not acceptable,too. i didnt know that US photo rules were very strict till my photographer told me that if it is for US visa he wont do it!

    arfie: yep..i posted it for you... i know they are good for laughs!... ie why i saved them even after two years...

    shail: thank you...aunty.... to be frank, my feelings/thoughts written were all true, while going thru that photo-phase!

    chris: no, they dont have a single decent place here for passport photo, from where ppl go to holidays abroad, all around the year.. wonder how they manage visa photos!

    rajashree: i didnt know that US rules where worse, till my photographer told me about it.

    rajni: did it really happen in "just for laughs"? yea, for me...i really make a fool of myself all by myself! and yes, now i thank for that photo studios in india.

    ReplyDelete
  22. thomas: Yes, i went thru that... it seems i always go thru these kind of self-goals, alot. also thank me that i have posted only two of them,here! he he he... u shud have seen the rest! i cant imagine what u would have told about them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh!! that was soooo hilarious....i cant stop laughing here...trust me u have the most weirdest experiences!! SERIOUSLY!!

    And I give u 11/10 for that excellent narrative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL at your comment... I like the first pic (with the red shirt). It's "cute". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hmmm.... thats funny...
    Lol on last foto..haha...
    nalla bhaavaaabhinayam..hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol! While you’re setting up the studio, I’ll set up that all inclusive beauty experience - that novelty we call 'beauty parlour' in India and the Gulf - where you get hair, face, hands, feet, body all done in one place and you don't have to re-mortgage your house for the experience. Here its a salon for your hair, a salon for your hands, I haven't a clue where you go for the rest because I haven't even tried because I can’t justify the expense compared with what I was used to. So I’m resigned to ‘do it myself’ now and wishing I’d done a beauticians course in India or something so I would know the 'how to do it quick without pain' way! Men are free to tune out now.. as I refer to the masochistic exploits of waxing one’s self or the fine art of threading one’s own eyebrows and getting anything from surprised look to super startled or I’ve been electrocuted and it got my eyebrows!!

    My friend introduced me to the ‘Moroccan Bath’ experience in Bahrain which was also part of the ‘beauty parlour’ set up! Boy do Arab women know how to live!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. cudn't imagine that a passport size photo can have such a long story.

    all the best with upcoming trip. and yes, On ur next visit, take a better PP photo from India....
    ----------------------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats for getting your VISA,,,,,Finally..All's well that ends well:)

    Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  29. lol at studios in India with comb talcum powder and bindis...he he he

    ReplyDelete
  30. first of all congrats on getting ur visa.... Enjoy ur trip...

    now i know what to look out for if ever i come to ireland...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your description about Indian Photo Studios is too insufficient. You missed many things. I challange your experience with India's photo studio. After visiting the link : http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-PrRhh248abN8rYXx2Xz7bw--?cq=1&p=1451

    you will surely admit your ignorance (Agyaan) in this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hei Swathi.

    This is hysterically funny!!
    Like the way you did the story....
    LOL.
    HUGZ from Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for putting link of my blog over here. BTW I was not aware that Ireland accepted Euro as the currency.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Many people visited my page since you made available the said link. I'm obliged.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...