Wednesday 12 July 2006

When you try hard and you fail--to impress!


This is NOT MEANT for all those sports wiz guys who are out there… males and females, who scream and yell before ESPN and TEN and who spent the entire 24 hrs of their life Image[at least more than 8 hrs] eating, drinking and thinking sports. Because I am one among that majority who is a complete novice as far as the term “sports” is concerned.Image


 


I never watched TEN sports or ESPN in my life. And I wasn’t expecting so much surprises as well as embarrassments in my life, cos of my 0% knowledge in sports.Image


 


It all happened when my colleague A* turned out to be a sporty gal. At lunch time she was more fiery than enthusiastic about the “football” teams playing for various counties here. People from different counties group up based on the teams that represent their county which almost turn into rivalries. [just like India and Pakistan when cricket comes up!!!]. She goes for Golf, swimming, and participates in Womens marathon, triAthlone [swimming, cycling, running] etc . And me, a complete novice used to listen to all those narrations…


 


Today I saw a team photo in her cabin and asked about it. It looked like a football team. And I asked her “Oh! is that your college soccer team?” and I made my ignorant bare at that instant. First of all, soccer isn’t football [for Irish]. Next football means Gaelic football [for Irish]. And the funny part is that they use both hands and legs to play Gaelic football.


 


As I didn’t know that she asked me, “Do you know Australian football? Its almost similar to it”. And I told “Oh! I know it..isnt it the one in which they wear the helmet and stuff like that!!” [I was happy that I wasn’t as ignorant as she thot I was….]. ..and she began to roll in laughing. “Oh! Swathi that is American football” ..and I  felt its better off, if I tell her the truth, however stupid I may sound! And I told her “A*, the only thing I know about football is that the football used to be in black and white in color till the world cup started!!!”. Next thing I saw was A* leaning on her chair and trying to control her laugh like anything! And there I was looking like the stupidest ignorant sportsperson, Ireland has ever witnessed!


 


 


Note: I am going to attend the pitch and putt event tomorrow, at the local golf club here. I gave my name as “the complete beginner”. I wonder does that term means that I don’t even know how to hold a golf club! [btw, isnt that the stick that is used to roll the balls inot holes???]


 


The pic is that of the gaelic football.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_football


6 comments:

  1. You sound like you just about as much as I do when it comes to sports. LOL I had a "cyber-date" back in 1998 or '97 and we watched the [American] fottball game together... The only thing I was able to comment on logically were the commercials! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK let me set things straight. Most of the times in a sport where there is a stick and a ball, the stick stays at a place (or atleast have limited mobility) and ball moves a lot more. American football is where people fight with helmets, Australian football is where they fight without helmets and Indian football is where they dont do anything and just stand on the field and pretend to run around without even touching each other. Eventhough Indian football is attimes referd to as soccer, real soccer is what you might have seen in the worldcup. I hope I have set atleast some things straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feelings are Mutual Swathi.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess I am with you girl. I know football and american football... didn't know there were more varieties!! :) I am one of those who have to go through american football games, basketball matches, soccer and baseball matches... No thanks to my hubby who is an avid sports watcher. Personally I like tennis and cricket more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lisa---LOL! i think we are birds of same "sports knowledge"..

    varkey---WONDERFUL! no body has given me such an enlightening knowledge. u boosted my confidence to 300% , and with the knowledge that u poured down to me, i went to the pitch and putt ... thanks alot....

    arfana--- hi five!!

    sab---tennis and cricket are less complicated..aint it? yea, when u live with a sports crazy one, u cant help it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. daivame !...U intO golf !.....i guess that golf couurse will need some Fundings after that !,....way to go gal !...

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...