Sunday 25 June 2006

When you compete with yourself....

Being a working woman, I am desperate to prove myself more than above satisfactory in home as well as in office. ImageAnd as always, when we want to excel in both fields together there needs to be certain adjustments in both places.Image But I cant take it to myself excuses for not being best in home as well as in office.Image


Inspired by Shail and Sab, I am posting picture-proof of my  developed culinary skills.. Imagewe had visitors this evening for dinner, and this is what I prepared for them! A 100% kerala meal. ImageThey told they wanted veg , so I went for it,first. Later they told they can have non veg too, so I made "unakkameen"(dry fish) fry, when they were in the living room...


 


DSC00119


..our very own kerala sambar....


 


DSC00117


..beans "mezhukkupuratti"


 


DSC00120


..carrot "thoran"


 


DSC00118


.."paavakka varuthathu"... this bittergourd fry, I made the hard way.. not using readymade dry ones.. with fresh bittergourd i fried it after mixing it with greenchillies, salt and onion for 2-3 hrs.....


 


DSC00131


..this "unakkameen fry"(dry fish fry), I made it after they came, when they told they are OK with fish....


 


DSC00128


..This was our visitor  1 yr old, OM... while his parents ate, he slept on my shoulders....i was thankful that they could literally "eat" the result of my efforts w/o him bothering them... and he was damn co-operative with me, for sleeping..


 


DSC00114


..and finally this humble cook, with all the satisfactory smile all over the face...


NOTE: my alterations--->In sambar, i replaced chena(yam), chembu, muringakka, padavalanga, vendakka (ladys finger)  with potato, parsnip and carrot ..as kerala vegetables are not available here... my hubby doesnt even know that i use parsnip in sambar LOL!! it looks like chena,in sambar .


 

18 comments:

  1. This is great! good job Swathi...! you know,it may seem that we dont have enough time in the day for us to get anything done.. I used to think way too at one point..I wondered If I would ever be able to juggle my responsibilities as a wife,mother,Nurse, and a housewife...but I did..much to my own surprise. The strength is already within, we just have to let it take over us.

    Cheers & Hugs,
    Trupti

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dishes look great... I'd love if you could send me some recipies. ;-) And he is such a cutie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your smile shows that the dishes are liked by ur hubby well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. yammiii... good ... wish i was one of your visitor that time... he he he ... just kidding... hmmm your smile has a satisfactory feeling in you ... good job...

    RINKU

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmm, the beans looked very yummy... you gotta share the recipe too. this is so not fair!! And i loved the lat pic of yours... proud, contented and happy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great great! Kudos to you! Gal, practice makes it perfect! I guess you have already become a good chef!

    The "paavakka varuthathu" looks good! My fav! Good idea, you have put green chillies as such too... I have never tried that(i used to cut it in small pieces and put a lil bit)... I'll try your way next time. The only problem with "paavakka varuthathu" is that, it takes a lot of time to get fried, and you have to stand next to it all the while to see if all the sides gets equally brown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dishes looked yummy.. and u look fab when u smile :) keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginglee's World....26 June 2006 at 00:58

    I AM GETTING HUNGRY....MMMMMMMMM.....AZAD

    ReplyDelete
  9. i rmember those intial days of blogging when u used to say tht u r not gud in cooking.lol........... now i witness grat cooks dishes....... great goin swathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good culinary and presentation skills..Swathi..I only know too well,the travails of a working/wife/mother..It's absolutely taxing..and added to that if you have guests dropping in..all hell would break loose...Kudos to you for managing so well..Your smile says it all...There's nothing like the high one gets when you know that your guests have indeed enjoyed your culinary adventures...Take care..Regards,Husna..

    ReplyDelete
  11. kerala food!!!!!!!!.....damn cool yaar..... i had this friend in coll who cud cook really well... she was a mallu... miss her.....:(
    nice blog...
    see ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkk Mouth watering dishes..

    Guys like me away from family.. :( hmmmmm what to do .. Atleast see them in blogs.

    Nice to read that u felt happy , treating your guest.

    Bye

    King

    ReplyDelete
  13. well well well ..what have we here !...Y! 360 is fast becomin a Cooking class!....and those looked simply yummy !...Swats !...sorry Yaaar for the earlier thing !...but those look too good !...and its been 6 months that i went home and these really made my day !....

    the last pic was nice !...quite relieved .....eh ?....
    take care !
    Manu

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey...you are a wonderful Cook....Nakkin thumbil athinde ruchi kandal ariyam...LOL....Ingane kothippikkalle.........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Trupti---thanks alot for the moral support! yea,when mind is determined to do, nothing can come in b/w.

    Lisa--OM is such a cutie... do u like indian food. i will send u the recipes..

    sekhar--yea, u r abs correct!

    Rinku -- thanks

    Sab---thanks.. yea, when u know u r not that good a cook, and when u makes ppl say the dishes r good, the proud u feel is immense.

    Aswathy--yea,it did. pavakka is a hard job.. but i like the result.

    Anki--thanks dear.

    Binil--thanks binil

    Ginglee--u can eat, those..

    pradeep---yea, i thot that someone will remember that. i am happy that u did. thanks again.

    Husna--thanks alot dear. when birds of same feather appreciates u, it really feels good. thanks again.

    Ithee--thanks dear.

    king--thank you...we give dinners almost every week. my husband loves inviting his multinational friends home.

    cheeze--dont be sorry for anything...we r pulling each others legs,rite? never be sorry with me. and thanks for appreciating my culinary skills. yea, i was more happy than relieved.

    swapna--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I do... I started cooking some myself about 2 years ago, but have just made what I think would be considered basics? Samosas, chappati, roti, bagghar rice, Kele Ke Meethe Bade (from an Indian cookbook borrowed from the library), and I made an onion chutney once... Most recipes I get are from friends or off the Internet. I'd definitely appreciate any that you can send me... Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ini payasam kazhichal, vayaru niranju!!!
    Thats all that was missing... its like i had a meal now !!

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...