Sunday 3 December 2006

Hickory Dickory Dock-3!


continued from Part-1 and Part-2


“Good Morning, Sir”, receptionist Manju smiled at him. Shiva Kumar didn’t look at her. He knew about all the back talk that was going on among the staff, about his personal life. Being one of the strictest bosses, many employees didn’t like him at all. One day he even heard one of them comment about the incident when Shalini caused chaos, in the hospital. “Our Captain Terror can terrorize everyone in this world, except his own wife”. And they all chuckled!


 


He went upstairs to his personal room. Then he rang for the only person he ever talked his personal problems to, Rejani. She was one of the partners who had invested money for the hospital. A widow at the age of 42, she looked like the abode of sorrow. When Rejani knocked and came in, he blurted out  “Rejani, I told her. I told her about my decision. Now I feel peaceful.” He closed his eyes tightly and tried to blank his mind for a while.


 


Rejani, was silent. She knew what was going thru him. In fact she was the only one who knew him completely, at that moment. As it was natural when a man and woman get close, there were numerous gossips about them. But they knew exactly what kind of relationship they shared. For Rejani, being widowed at 32, she had heard her share of gossips even before she met Shiva kumar.  Those gossips never touched her, at all. But she respected this man. And it hurt her when she found him hurt. In reality, it was the comradeship people shared, when left in an isolated island, totally helpless. Loneliness and the feeling of meaningless life brought them together.


 


Rejani ordered coffee for both of them. After talking to her about his conversation with kids and  Shalini, he felt peaceful. “Shiva, today is your surgery day. First case start at 8:15, if you don’t feel well, may be I can ask Dr.Ajith to lead”, Shalini told him, slowly. “No, I am fine. I will be ready at the theatre, within 15 minutes”. Being one of the best laparoscopic surgeon, in the State, for him, his work was his worship. And he forgot all his problems, when God worked thru his hands.


 


At noon, he had finished his fifth case. After scrubbing himself, he went back to his room. He didn’t feel hungry at all. But then Rejani came and ordered lunch for him from the canteen. That day wasn’t his O.P day. So he had time till 3 pm. He started reading some journals that came through post that day.


 


When he reached the third journal, Rejani came to his room, this time without knocking. “Shiva, I wanted to tell you some thing” .


There was panic in her voice. Shiva, looked at her questioningly.


“Did any thing happen to the surgery cases I did this morning?”-was the first thought that passed through his mind. It was his hospital, and he himself performed the surgery. He was answerable for any mishap that happened. He prepared his mind for the inevitable.


 â€œIs there any issue with the surgery cases?”


“No, Shiva it’s something else. Shalini…shalini is in the emergency room, now. She…she seems critical”. 


For a while, Shiva couldn’t recognize what she was saying. Then he recomposed himself. “Did she take an overdose again?”, he asked in the most normal way.


“No, Shiva, she is not here. She is in the Medical College”.


“Medical College? “ His voice suddenly rose high.


“I had always asked Raju to bring her only here, if ever she ever takes overdose”.


“Shiva, she didn’t take overdose”.


 â€œThen? What did she do this time? Found any new way, to ruin my reputation?” Anger was rising inside him.


“No, Shiva she was on her way to our hospital. I mean, Raju was driving the car. And…and…. and on the bypass road, a national permit truck hit the car. People took her to Medical College. We got the phone call from there, about her critical condition. She seems to have a very bad head injury.”


 


It took some time for Shiva Kumar to get the complete meaning of those words. He almost thought that Rejani was talking nonsense. As soon as truth hit him, he rose to the occasion. He rang for Manoj in the reception, to drive him to Medical College.


 


The car came to a stop before the black and white board- “Casuality”.  When he went inside, all the junior doctors recognized him, with respect. He tried to get the answer, by trying the routine job of reading the message from another doctor’s face. But he couldn’t.. One of them led him to the room.


 


There inside, over the rusting iron bed, lay Shalini, her forehead and face completely soaked in blood. He eventually knew that what he feared has finally happened. Impulsively he checked her pulse. “No ….she is not breathing.” He looked at the doctor’s face and this time he told, “Sir, sorry, we couldn’t!”.


 


He looked at her for 2 more minutes and turned back.


“Sir”… he stopped.


“We got these papers from the body’s fist. She was holding it tightly. We saw your name in it and only then we recognized that she was your wife”


Shiva took the papers he handed him. It was those papers for mutual divorce, duly signed by Mrs Shalini Shiva Kumar.


 


 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


dearest friends, this is NOT a true story.... this is something I developed from a news paper cutting, I happened to see. I have added my own things, to get some feelings *winks*.


I want to thank Brenny, who wrote in his blog, titled  "Where the stories come from"  says:


"That when you start to feel the freedom in writing is when you can take the experiences of others and weave it into your own.  I am slowly starting to feel that and man it's quite a rush.  You should try it sometime."


..and I tried....


 Thank you Brenny!

21 comments:

  1. Wonderfully told story.....Holds your interest through to the end!!!Keep up the writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was here first!!!nah nah nah nah....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a wonderful job of it Swathi!! I was thinking all the while that you developed the story on a real life incident that happened to someone you knew closely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swathi: Amazing and touching at the same time........

    ReplyDelete
  5. really great writer you are, Swath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Swatcat!! you have a potential to write short stories! My GOd!! You did *feel* the charachters.. i mean it was sooo perfect! This is a great piece of work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. man.. wont belive itz teh 1st attempt if u didnt tell.. super cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swathi u have every thing to write.And ur creativity is amazing to bring a story from a paper cutting...Very very nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. At last..
    That was wonderful. Eventhough as u said u read it, but while reading it seemed to be non-fiction.
    Lovely Swat Chech.
    U are great

    ReplyDelete
  10. *clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping clapping *

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honestly to say i hold my breath till end....End was sad but thats what I guess....

    Well done Job Swathi...keep writing!

    Chap...Clap...Clap

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swathi, I just read all 3 at the same time and I have to tell you that you had me from the first paragraph. Just the way he woke up, that hook line about 'today he was going to tell her'. That did it.

    Your propensity for reflexivity was always there in your blogs, so it didn't surprise me one bit that I could feel so deeply what each of the characters was going through. You gave enough detail about both so that you could see why each got to where they got to.

    It was magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember that there was one post that Shaila wrote (it was one of her memoir posts can't remember which one), and you had commented on it that you much preferred to read real life experiences than stories, that it meant much more if it had actually happened.
    So to see your comment to me was so touching. You have a rare talent in that you can unflinchingly talk about what is going on with you. The part about weaving other stuff in is the easy part and this story shows me that you are a natural there too.
    I feel embarassed at being considered a guru for short stories as I'm still figuring it out myself. But as long as you feel that way I will make sure I claim dakshina by way of food. I have no use for thumbs.

    Way to go Swats. Looking forward to many more mesmerizing short stories from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice flow . It is has a pulse .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yea Brenny, even I remember that comment very well.. I was scared that if I write anything else other than my own experience, I wouldn’t be able to be true to the readers. So I always stuck to mine…self-centered, cos by that way, it was easy to be brutally honest. But after reading your story and that particular blog, I started to think different and tried. It wasn’t easy; I had to devote a lot more time than my usual time-slot. Even when I wrote the first line, I didn’t know how it was going to end. But it went on and ended, just automatically…and I felt very thankful to you… I felt like a kid who suddenly realized something very fascinating. It was a new brain wave like “so, it need not be my own experience, to know others”..

    That’s why I want to thank you…

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just finished all the three parts...
    The details make it all sound real, and but for that disclaimer at the end, it sounds very real!
    THe plot thicken, one keeps wondering where this is all leading to...and then the end. Leaves one wondering, shocked. A tantalisingly 'stickable' story, still can't believe that it is fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sankaran,Its not 100% fiction. I read about a doctor who had an alcoholic wife. She might not be dead and he may not have divorced her. (that was my addition). i have heard some ppl say that doctors have easy access to addictive anti depressants. I remember seeing a malayalam film on that subject. i was planning to make her commit suicide, but then, thomas told me that i shudnt. so i killed her in an accident! (like some serial writers do...LOL). i didnt know how grown up kids would react to their parents divorce, so i didnt want to go deep into it. also i have heard abt rich uncles sponsoring their future son-in-laws, which i am sure, even you must have heard, alot!!!
    Rest are all just "fillers"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Swathi - I came here from mANZ who said that this was a MUST READ. AND WOW - I read all three parts just now. I loved it! It had a very real feel to it. The language, the setting up of the scenes, the outcome. Just very well done and pulled me into and through the entire piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very well thoughtful and well written,Brenny is a good teacher and your an excellent student, I enjoyed all 3parts as a whole.I couldn't stop. Like a good novel I couldn't put down! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I finally got to read your story. What a treat it was!!! I loved the details you used for the surgeon. His creditials, etc... You really let your imagination go using the envirnment around you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was wonderful. now only i got time to comment.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...