Tuesday 28 November 2006

Thorns among roses!

It took some more incidents to make me realize again (after ‘n’ number of times) that there are 2 sides for every coin. I came here to kerala, just to take a break from my office work and from the responsibility of a homemaker. But now, I realize that I was better off there, Ireland in my happy life with my hubby. Apart from the nice thoughts of having food from amma’s hand and enjoying numerous tv channels, I honestly didn’t have any bad picture inside my head.


Ok, I am coming to the point. It’s the infamous family politics, which exist everywhere. Even before I came here, I had decided not to visit my relatives, cos of their extreme quality in presenting thorns covered with rose petals. We both decided that together on the light of our previous experiences.  So when my parents asked me to visit them, I said a blunt NO and when my hubby’s parents asked him, he too did the same.


Everything was ok, till my dad literally tricked me into meeting some of them.  You can read what happened.


/******************************************************************/


Aunty: Oh….I was thinking about you and wondering why you haven’t come.


Me: *Smiles*


 


Aunty: so, how’s life there? Now that everyone says you have bought a house there, do you think you will settle in Ireland? **mocking laugh**


Me: Aunty, the mortgage is for 35 yrs, we can sell it and come back, anytime I want.


 


Aunty: Oh…so as it’s a small house,(4 bed roomed house, is not small for me) may be you can sell and  buy a big house later.


Me: *being deaf*


 


Aunty: What did you feel when you came here? Did you like kerala? Didn’t u feel it filthy, dusty?


Me: **oh there she starts again** I don’t feel anything different..


 


Aunty: Why didn’t you bring your husband? We all would loooove to see him…**chuckles**


*** some history here…she was the prominent one in pitying my dad, saying “didn’t he find any one other than that guy (my husband) to get his daughter married? What was he thinking at that time? What did he do? Was he crazy??? “***(I heard that)


 


Dad interrupts: he has gone to his home, cos they are buying a property there.


 


Aunty: Yea, its good for you guys to make a house here, instead of having one there, in Ireland (!).


 


Dad: it’s not for a house. It’s a row of shops in ********. It was my son-in-law’s dad’s property. He had to sell it when there was financial trouble. Now he wants to get it back. So he is buying it. Its near ****** junction. The road goes round it. And it costs ******.


 


She suddenly cuts in between.


Aunty: “Oh. I just remembered, wont ur husband gets a transfer to anywhere from Ireland? “


Me: ***when did I tell her, that we don’t want to live in Ireland?***


Aunty, we have almost settled there. Now if he gets a transfer it will be difficult. We don’t need it. And what about my job, if he gets transferred? I have my job, too, there. We are OK there.


 


She cuts again.


Aunty: But what’s life without being socializing with keralites?


Me: **when did she start worrying about my socializing***


Its ok, aunty…life is good there.


 


Now, she comes to my looks and dressing..


Aunty: What do you wear in ur office? Do you wear pants? **Scrutinizing my salwar**


Me: **from where does she get those ideas**


I nods silently.


 


Aunty: Swathi, you look sooo different. You doesn’t look like the old swathi, at all..


(was it good intention or bad, I don’t know)


Me: **smiles**


 


Aunty: Swathi, as years go by, you don’t look ur age. You look younger and younger ***clearly with a frown***


 


(Now, I was fuming with anger against my dad, who made me participate in this weird interview)


 


Me: Aunty, do you have any problem with that? What’s wrong in that? When people elder than me, tries their best to look younger (hope she got the thorn!!!), I should be proud of my looks, that I don’t look 29!!!


 


Aunty: Yea, but still its not good…u have to look ur age.


 


At his point, I really wanted to shout at my dad, for making me witness this, and decided that I will never go out again with him, till I reach back home (!!), in Ireland!



/******************************************************************/



Note: this aunt is a working NRI (non residential Indian), who has been in Middle East, for more than 20 yrs. Her kids are studying there and even in her 50’s she wears salwars, dye her hair and wears make up and high heels. When I don’t see any thing wrong in her, I don’t know why, she is so pissed off at me, who went to Ireland just 2 yrs back. I guess this is part of “family politics”!!!!!!


She did the same when I came last time. Its in here. 


 

27 comments:

  1. Swathi: Aha...family politics...I have taken enough of that! Problems if I bring gifts and if I dont, problems if I visit people and if I dont and the list goes on...On top of that the comment 'engineya kuttikale tanichaakkiyittu ithra doore poyi irikkunne'..that bugs me off......Just give a deaf ear...thats about all and enjoy ur stay and mom's aviyal sambhar!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealousy has no cure....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relatives u like them or hate them.u cannot avoid them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the link to your previous blog.
    Saw how ur aunt felt abt the dirty kerala.
    That's not the way I feel for Kerala.
    Sure, ther are some dirt & mud.
    But, when I think abt the place it's the lush greenery & the backwaters & the hills & forests that fills my mind. That's the only picture I hold in my mind abt my place. And I love it.
    And it's with fondness that i talk to my friends abt my place.

    Never bother abt the thorns. Take it in your stride. After a while thorns will know that the petals are high enough that they cannot hurt it anymore! They only look at the Rose with awe & envy!

    Have a beautiful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. relatives are the relations whichw e get by birth, no escape from them, the trick lies in the way we handle them...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh forgot....forget about all those junk ppl, and enjoy ur days at home....hope u r having yummy food..no descriptions yet???

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAWD!! where do these people come from?? sometimes i wonder... maybe jupiter or something, I hate my relatives too swats! I am undergoing torture everyday here.. i hate livimg in a joint family.. cant wait to get married and get lost from here..(((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah forget them and enjoy your time here love..

    ReplyDelete
  9. ignore & delete !! they often define life...... the sad highlights the happiness !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What can i say !!!..Laughed out LOUD !..hehee !..esp when you told me who it is !...**smiles**

    Take care swats !

    cHEeSy !

    ReplyDelete
  11. U know Swathi, aunts are the same all over the world. P.G.Wodehouse has said it best " Aunts arent Gentlemen!!!"..lol. Shail aunty will endorse my view I am sure.

    By the way Swathi you must look your age..and wear a munduneriyathu to office...ROTFLMAO...

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  12. asooyakkum kashandikkum marunnilla :) relatives are the relations which we get by birth -
    thank god that we can choose our friends. i remember ur last blog abt this particular aunt. vayasayyppo verepaniyonnum illathe paradooshanam parayan irangirikkuvalle ammayi.. :) turn a deaf ear - thatz teh best u cn do; unless u want to prick them and enjoy the site :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmm...this is always there in most of the families...dont listen to that..
    we wont be able to change them...
    forget about that and enjoy ur time at home..
    take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't say I agree with that line she gave you, 'one must look their age'... I get a kick out of it when people think I'm 20 years younger than what I am... definitely good for the soul. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is so same everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  16. If some one wants to experience hell, then try joint family system and family politics. Character assasination and jealousy. It is totally unacceptable. In my opinion, a healthy distance and nucleous family system is the best to secure necessary privacy to prevent from intervention of family politics. Even, parents from girl side and boy side both must not intervene in the affairs of their children after marriage. Privacy and healthy distance with family members is essential.

    I can understand your feelings Swathi.

    Take Care.

    Shahid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I go with lahari

    It is around in all the indian families, still we do have love and effections in the corner of our hearts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Under these circumstances...i won't say much..as much has been said..but i focus on few useful things..a negative thought or a negative vibe, effects you only when you give it a review..when a person says...something offensive..the desire to counter it...and settle the score..is more damaging and lingers on...almost like a virus....so forgive and forget...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I went to India after 22 years this past summer. My immediate family lives here in the US. What a interesting trip it was. One of my aunt said to me that she couldnt believe how a person can change so much after 22 years. She of course meant it in a bad way. It's interesting how you feel about visiting your relatives just after two years of being overseas. Some relatives will always be the same. They have their own agenda.
    I so agree with Chate... if you counter an offense or settle the score, you just end up feeling worse because it is not in our nature to be mean or rude and it bothers me later that I was rude to someone even though I wasnt the one to start it. Better to give it a deaf ear and ignore. Keep your cool and come back happy with no regrets. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just be who you are, Swats..! Don't ever change..! As for the rest, am in full agreement with lahari..! You know how it's like in Kerala, despite your Western exposure..! It's best to keep mum, and not ask "why the heck not". That would be like poking at the hornet's nest..! I'd understand your feelings perfectly..!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  21. lolzzzzz.... I know what u mean by family politics... even my Aunties are like that....

    ReplyDelete
  22. swathy politics is must if there is family. same thing everywhere. Any one blame u didn't bring gifts to them ? or that's less than their expectations. Iam scared about such comments.Anyway enjoy ur life with mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmmm - gottit!!! You don`t look your age `cos you don`t come into contact with Aunty all that often. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  24. **rolls eyes thinking of similar type of relatives** Swathi, An aunt of , mine told me I had started looking 'sooooo old'!!!! *wink* I smiled and said. "Enthu parayaana Chechiyamme, vayassaayille!" This was around 3-4 years back, when I had not even put on weight!! lolz..

    Vinod, I agree with you all the way!! Swathi, Aunts aren't Gentlemen!!...and you better start looking your agae, wearing mundun neryathum to office!! ROTFLMAO

    ReplyDelete
  25. sorry you had to go through that Swathi.. Best policy is to have Selective Listening. I agree with Chaterpilar on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL at you have to look your age... that aunty must be trying damn hard to hide her age... I bet!!

    You know what, call me lucky or call me a snooty one I somehow manage to evade such relatives... though not always possible, but somehow I choose to manage my ties with the ones I hgel, and not forced....

    She sounded like a disease to be avoided at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. * I gel and not forced (relationships)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...