Tuesday 21 November 2006

These are the few of my favourite things...


Finally I am going home. “Finally” may sound long. But actually it’s been only 6 months, since I have been away from home.  I was shuttling b/w home and here (I still prefer to call India, my home) from Aug 2005. So I didn’t really know homesickness then! At that time, I was “hubby-sick”.


Being a lazy ass by birth, I hate to cook and shop for groceries and everything to make a house, home. If some one else can do it for me, I would be the happiest soul on earth. But unfortunately for me it doesn’t work that way, when you are not with your parents.


 


Just one more day, and I am on my way to home…and then…


 


I can wake up at 11 am and eat break fast on my bed, and not worry about turning on heater and running to office at 9am.


 


I can browse up to 50 Indian channels instead of watching even the Malayalam adverts in the only mallu channel here, Asianet!


 


I can eat dosa and chammanthi and appam and mutta curry! (gulping the saliva!) (I don’t know how to make those, yet!)


 


I can eat (amma’s) cheera thoran, aviyal, theeyal, pulisserry instead of those craps I cook with potato and aubergines and carrots!


 


I can finally stop eating meat for one month, as I get my favourite vegetable dishes instead of lettuce and spring onion salads.


 


I can eat vazhakkappam and uzhunnuvada….


 


I can eat chambavu rice instead of the basmati I over-cook every day, here!


 


I can eat soft whole wheat chappathi, instead of the fragile East End aata roti!


 


I can sweat, in the sun and after that I can bathe in cold water!!!


 


I can walk barefoot (my feet hasn’t seen sunlight for past 6 mths) and walk around wearing cotton clothes, instead of two layers heavy jumpers!


 


I don’t have to worry about doing laundry, or making list of groceries or vacuuming or scrubbing kitchen sink, or even putting the oven on fire (pssst I did that last week when a bottle of oil spilled on oven-top and set it on fire!!!)


 


I can read those glossy Malayalam magazines, and hear crows and be in the midst of all kinds of noise…


 


I can visit my soon-to-be-mom sister (cousin) and check how huge she has grown! (she wasn’t married when I came here)


 


I can wear gorgeous salwars…churidars….and try amma’s silk saris… and dump my jeans and trousers.


 


I can attend my two cousins’ weddings and try to put jasmine flowers on my short hair (!) and eat paayasam with bolee.


 


I can go to the Shiva temple, walking!! (Hope people won’t bother me with questions).


 


If this is what I want just after 6 mths, I don’t know what my hubby wants who is going home after 2 long years! He has been counting days since we booked the ticket on this august.

30 comments:

  1. Oh. My mouth is watering for the dishes you are mentioning. I need to go home early and need to eat very fast ofcourse my favourite items. My wife is the best in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness Gracious! I want to go back again! I just came back in October. Have fun Swathi and make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know taht u r going Home...Have a Great Time Swathi....Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only saw payasam and bolee.. and I am stuck on that line...

    slurrrppp....slurrrppp....slurrrppp....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was too short a list. China China Aasai!
    Not visiting Akulam Kayal? Didn't see that on your list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chinna Chinna Aasai

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats gr8!hope we will meet in India,and discuss the kashmir issue lol,im jus jokin.....anyway have a lovely trip....hope to talk to u,once u wil b in india........bye

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I can sweat, in the sun and after that I can bathe in cold water!!!"

    "and eat paayasam with bolee."

    LOLz I loved it.
    I know what it is to go back home after staying away for long - just like a fish back in waters!

    Have a great vacation. Bring lot's of fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the Best.

    Shahid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. enne homesick aaakiye adangu alle? :P payasam kudikkan njaanum vaaam....

    ReplyDelete
  11. great.. though they are small small things .. it really brings charm to life..

    Amma's Silk saree.. hahaha (thank god u girls still remember silk saree)

    Food dishes.. I remember a lunch in my friend menon's house..

    Have a great time swati. Enjoy every second of your trip.

    Bon voyage..

    Raj

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a WONDERFUL time..What a great post!! You have made me homesick and i AM home!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. have a wonderful time...

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey swathi, u r making me sooooo omesick!!! (just got back from home (India) a couple months ago ... )

    and gud for u, ur hubby is going with u .. so u will neither be home-nor-hubby-sick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is really wonderful... knowing what you miss are all those that we take for granted here in Kerala. But then that's life, I guess..!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let me warn you about Malaylam TV channels. I guess only Amrita Channel is worth watching...You will be terribly disappointed if you have too much expectations there.

    Hey you dont have crows there???
    Great!! So happy holiday time and happy waking at "athraavile" 11:00 am!!!LOL.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  17. Homecoming...is always a pleasure....the list of what you can do is...impressive, but just wondering.... can you also make a list of what you cannot do in India...? and was very easy in Ireland....perhaps another blog....take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow that's a long list but it's a pretty healthy one.
    I noticed about 75% of that list refers to food.
    That's pretty good. When I go to Calcutta, about 90% of the list is about food and the rest is baout the new tablas I want to get.

    Ok Rai wants to type so here's her comment:

    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG !..payasam with BOLEEEEEEEEEEEE ...................**sob**

    Hope yuop have a great journey Swats !..

    ReplyDelete
  20. You sound like me. I hate to cook and clean as well. Just wait until you have children. lol
    Have a pleasant journey. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, wow, wow... I am feeling homesick now
    but hey...all the very very best for your trip... have a great and safe journey!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh swathy u r taking vacation. good enjoy. Im also planning to to go december. My mind also full of all thse thoughts. Iam also doing the same . my favourite food items listing and thinking vat all things need to do once reached home. Have a gr8 time .

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a great time at home swathi...

    I was home sick when i was staying in a pg.
    But now since my parents are with me i am enjoying homely food...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wishin u a very happy journey! Hav mah share of payasam too :D:D:D veeeeeeeeeeee i luv payasamz 8->

    ReplyDelete
  25. now i am also feeling home sick...:((((
    may all ur above siad wishes come true....:)...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoy your holiday,swathi:)
    I'm going home too for a couple of months as my mother is ill...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tomorrow's Weather22 November 2006 at 06:41

    cool...!!
    hope u have a grreat holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope u r enjoying all this

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...