Wednesday 1 November 2006

when shock numbs the pain...

How frequent do we hear the news of death of our closed ones or once closed ones? And how do we usually take it? I know each of us will be first shocked. The next phase is always denial. Our soul screams: “No..it cant be..it wont happen to him/her. There is some mistake. It can’t be true.” When that phase is over, our mind tries hard, very hard to accept truth. It’s the most difficult phase. It may take days or weeks or months. Or sometimes, it may never happen at all. And the next phase is pure sorrow. You will literally “feel” the loss. The agony… the excoriating pain. And I am going thru that right now.



On my last blog about child labour, I mentioned about a girl, who was nearly my age, when she took the responsibilities of her family, at 8 yrs of age. She was my neighbour. She was my play mate, for 15 long years[though she had little time to play!!!]. In my wild dreams never did I imagine a day like today. Why did I write about her 2 days back? Why did she come into my thoughts after 14 yrs? Last time when I saw her (I was visiting my cousin, then) she accompanied me to bus stop. She was married happily(??) and had 2 kids. All the way she talked chirpily about her boy and girl. That was 1 yr back. I came and told mom that I saw her, after 13 yrs. I was happy seeing her. She was healthy (not like old times, when she looked like a malnutritioned kid!). Mom asked about her kids. Amma told :”its good that finally she is happy, now.”



Today when amma called, I didn’t expect her words to be like this. “Swathi, u know “m*****i”. She died 2 days back. She was killed, by her husband. Its in the newspaper. In Malayala Manorama, 2nd page. Police didn’t get her husband. He is hiding. One of her kids is in a convent.”



I couldn’t take all this in such short or no notice. I felt a scream trapped in my heart. What???? I asked amma to tell everything clearly and slowly (so that I could take only one shock at a time). And she repeated everything, again.



My mind froze…its still in freezing state. I just checked the on-line Malayala Manorama. When I clicked 2nd page, I hoped against hope for the news to be NOT there. No…IT IS THERE. 



There it was- my old playmate’s murder news mocking at me and gnawing my soul … she is dead…no no…murdered. So much to end the life of a child who worked since 8, for her siblings’ hunger. And now, what about her kids? The news didn’t say anything about her kids. Can we say, another hungry orphan is born?



I didn’t mean to blog this…but is there any way to vent my pain on my child hood friend’s murder???



note:how does this look, when read against the recent domestic violence act?

24 comments:

  1. really shocking,swathi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats terrible..be strong enough..Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the same thing happend with my elder sister's friend, why always good peoples always suffering! i can understand wht a impact this new on u.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God...really Shocking News Swathi...I hope her children are safe.....

    u Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swathi...this IS shocking and the way you blogged about her 2 says back!! You do have some connection!!
    Domestic violence...now there is an issue that is always swept under the carpet!! Except when it makes to the media with a murder like this!!
    Another orphan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG... I am so sorry to hear this Swathi. ***Hugs***

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Shail said, and I myself said in one of your earlier posts, the 'connection' is evident. Hope they catch this guy Sunny. And more than that, hope the kids find some safe place to stay. Praying...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG,very sad ,i am sorry swathi,child labour cycle starts again,our badluck,circle has no end

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is shocking

    ReplyDelete
  10. really shocking.. let's hope her children are safe....
    but this coinsidence of days.. the same day u said abt her!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry to her this news. i read the news on line but never did i expected it would be she...
    Atleast the person for her murdering is known, but my mom's is still a mistery!!!
    i pray her soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so sad ... may her soul rip ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is not a good day... A few blogs earlier I read about a father mutilating his own 2 yr old daughter's private parts... It is so frustrating and it makes me furious to sit and read about these things without doing anything about them...

    My prayers go out to your late childhood friend and I hope that husband of hers get to rot in the jail... ANd again my heart goes out to her kids. May God bless the kids...

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh..really a shocking news..
    Hope the kids are safe...My prayers are with them...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheeeeeeee....Whats happenning in this world I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is mind-numbing; first of all her untimely death; second murdered at the hands of her husband and third because you were thinking of her on the day she died! I am so sorry and sad. As Shail says domestic violence is another subject - I used to do a lot of work in that field and I know the problems - the police keep being given `Guidelines` and law-makers make laws and still victims of domestic violence are at risk. I won`t go on (I could!!!). My condolences to you ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh it's really shocking incident.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Working Class Poet3 November 2006 at 01:24

    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It's really grieving to me to know that someone could do that to another person let alone your mate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. shell shocked...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel shell shocked. I dont fate is too cruel to some people for no fault of theirs. I know that the pang that you bear in your heart for her, I know it is difficult to overcome the grief by words. It is time which can heal these memories. Have patience and believe in God`s will which is all prevalent and cannot be defied by our wishes and desires.
    Your blog has enlivened memories of my dearest chat friends. There was hardly a day when we had not spoken tio each other over phone. One day she told me that she is not well and going to hospital for tratment. She had to be admitted in the hospital which doctors thought to be a routine stomach abnormality. Suddenly there was a lull. My phone calls were not answered nor my sms replied. I sent some alram signals. Then one day when I was gettign ready for work I was told by her sister on phone that my friend had passed away. The problem with her was that while in hospital she developed secondrry complications, like jaundice, low homeoglobin and in am matter of 4 days she was no more. I still have her void within me. Her voice keeps ringing in my silent moments. I keep wondering why is God so unkind to good people. Or it is just our perception that we find fault with God`s will.
    My condolences on your freind`s demise.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okie I can;t read the language, but your post did it all. I'm still in shock, but totally relate to the state of "unbelievable". Can't help the tears.. okie.. I hope her soul rests in peace.. :(

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...