Wednesday 27 September 2006

When it rains, It NEVER pours, here!


For the past 2 days whichever blog I went, I saw only one sentence “when it rains, it pours”. I read so many versions of “when it rains..” . After reading so many versions of “rain fest”, it was natural that “opening/closing” sentence stuck to my mind. So today when I saw it raining in the morning, I wondered “when it rains, it DOESN’T pour, at least in here”


 


When I was in India, I loved rain. Indian monsoons, esp at the beginning of new school-year [mostly on June 1 or 2] always came with a mixture of joy and sadness. The joy and excitement of being in a new upper class in school and the sadness of saying good bye to the 2 month long vacation. And the pure white socks were always brown at the end of the day. And the new black leather shoes always stank with them. Jumping into puddles of mud was what rain all about, for me.


 


During teens, rains gave me an air of romance. It came with an atmosphere of nostalgia, the lost love, and the wetness all over, which gave me bundles of joy. When the plantain leaves glistened with the dampness, it appeared greener and brighter. I used to look out thru the window, with extended hands to touch and feel rain.


 


But things changed when I started seeing rains in Ireland. Here it never “poured”. Irrespective of seasons, almost every hour at an interval of 5 minutes, it “drizzled” along with extreme cold breeze. I hated this irritating rain. The cold wind had destroyed almost  3 big umbrellas and 2 smaller ones, on the day we bought. Ironically Irish never cared this rain. They didn’t bother to carry umbrellas. And now I also practiced myself to walk as though its not raining! Here rain regulates the temperature. When its extremely cold, and after a medium drizzle, you can feel the temperature bearable. [I don’t know the science behind that!].


 


Also I have never seen thunder and lightening here. The only sound I hear along with rain is the whoosh of wind. No thunder, no lightening. Do they only accompany Indian monsoons?? How I miss them. How I miss the expectation of hearing the heart shuddering sound, after a very flashy lightening at night! 


When it rains, it never pours… and I don’t like it at all.

15 comments:

  1. Ha ha Swathi, this is an excellent entry for Brenny's Rainfest! Please link up so that others can read as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing a rain that doesn't pours...

    and nostalgic about rains, even me... can't forget the rainy days of during school, simply fun, and when got an umbrella offered.... just unforgottable ..
    all the rains and the drops....
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. plz read "rainy days during school"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one here is very different! LOL the rain that never pours! I love the rain as you do swats! Love all that you described because even as a teenager I used to love getting drenched in the virgin showers.. you know chennai had very little of that..so whatever we could get under ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silent Rains.. Peaceful Rains.. How many kind of Rains are there?.... a rainy day is always a pleasent day , atleast we get Pakora and bhajiyaa.. with Chaai very often. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. AS a kid, my bigets joy from the rains was the fact that we used to get a holiday! lol!
    I wouldn't wanna be a kid in Ireland, for sure!
    What a way to look at the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its raining heavily in 360 now..Nice one swathi.
    When it rains i like to sit in the veranda and watch the rains along with snacks and black coffee from my grand ma :)..and in kerala as usual there wont be power if there is thunder and lighting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that we are in southrn california, neither it rains, nor pours/ drizzles here... :(

    Although I won't have muddy footprints in my house (thank God for small mercies), I will still miss rain, esp those monsoonesque ones we are used to from India days!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well i am reading you over here nad its raining here at my place.....Priya is right...its raining heavily in 360.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too agree with Priya... it looks like 360 is also experiencing the monsoon in its own style..!

    Good one, Swathi. :)

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehehehe, doesn't pour eh? Too bad! It pours here for sure.

    Cute post Swathi dear! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ask me about missing Rain's...

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. It rains,but never pours in Ireland?!
    In Trinidad,we have climate very similar to that
    in Southern India...so we don't miss rains here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. " The joy and excitement of being in a new upper class in school and the sadness of saying good bye to the 2 month long vacation " ....

    I hate Rain !..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shail---I am the worst SS writer the world has ever witnessed! Fiction is something, I can never ever put into words. If there was any "real life" fest, i sure would ahve celebrated!

    Pinx---same pinch here....like our names, Swati.


    Jo---i have heard soooo much about "chennai rain", dear :-)

    king---uuuummmmmm, you almost made me cry in nostalgia!

    sankaran---you should see irish kids here. it will be raining, and the temp 6 degree C, and those toddlers will be licking ice-cream as though its damn sunny!!! *rolls eyes* wouldnt even dare to think abt ice cream then!

    priya---u r right! it seems to be heavy monsoon in Y360! enikku vetti ponum! power-failure! once powerfailure happened in Ireland, and we couldnt even get inot our house, because of electronic doors!!!!

    Sab---lemme ask Nadia and myra... they must be missing mud like anything!

    jia/anu---*oh! lemme get my umbrella"

    devi---he he he! thanks!

    snegi---varunno mazha nananju kondu odaaan?????

    arffy---hmmm.... i know dear! being in UAE, i know how much u miss rains!

    sindhu---lucky gal!!

    cheeeze---oh dont hate rain! what about ppl living in deserts?

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...