Thursday 28 September 2006

Having direction-o-phobia !


I hate the evenings when I have to drive two rounds from office to home and back. It happens on evenings when my hardworking-senior-designer-soul-mate tries to prove himself again! [his manager had warned me NOT to allow him to work like this… but who am I to control the inevitable?]


On those evenings, my schedule will be like this.


 


Part1
------


6 pm---drive home, alone, with a pissed off mind and a lonely heart. *sob..sob* after all work is more important to him, than me *sobs harder*


 6:20 pm – reach home [if ur lucky with traffic]


 6:21 to 6:25 – arguing with myself , whether to skip gym or not


 6:26-- finally decide to go to gym, when the 35 € subscription fee flashes in mind’s screen in BOLD letters!


 6:27 – changing to sweatpants [and cursing myself]


 6:30—locks home and gets into car


 6:35 --- reaches gym


 â€¦till 7:30 --- punish myself for wasting 35 € as monthly and 100 € as initial joining fees.  *grunting while lifting weights*


 â€œswathi… this is what you get for wasting money, u ***hole”.


*grunting again while putting ‘em down*


 
7:32--- *tries to find car in the open car park* as now a days sun sets early, it will be pitch dark outside.


 7:40---reaches home.


 7:41 to 8:30---- in kitchen preparing dinner. * ”asianet” blasting on back ground*


 8:30---*thinking* some body is missing in this house.. oh! I forgot my soul-mate tiring out in office!!!


 


This happened yesterday, and when I took the car out at 8:40 pm, it was raining, stormy and foggy.


Got into the dual-carriageway [almost like India’s NH, but with no street-lights, no residential areas, and 2 lanes [for one-way] which are as broad as small play grounds]. The exits almost looked similar, except for the writing on sign boards. Storm and fog and my migraine made my visibility almost null. I wanted to go thru Cavan exit in N55. I passed exit to Coosan, and another to TownCentre. And soon I saw another green board toward left. I took the left exit and reached the main road. And…..


…..…..what did I see??????????


 


I LOST MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 


After driving (at 80 kmph) for 5 mts, I realised that I took the wrong exit and now I am in BallyMahon!!!! GREAT! Time is 9 pm. Road is empty as the weather is very bad. I pulled up towards a small driveway. Switched off the car (with lights on) and took some deep breaths… *hooo…hooo…hooo…calm down* (repeated 10 times). I have a car with half tank petrol, and a cell phone, and no money!. Not bad!! Can’t go back the way I came cos, dual carriageways are strictly for one way, only . And the speed limit in dual carriageway is 120kmph, which means if I go back that way, some big trailer at 120kmph is going to bang into me. *shuddering at that thot*


 


I called my hubby. Dear, I am lost. Now in BallyMahon. Took the wrong exit from N55. Even he don’t know where it is. GREAT! Time is 9:20pm. Weather is getting stormier and foggier! What a night to get lost!!!!


 


Decided to find next exit backwards. Went straight. Saw a roundabout. Took right. Got into a residential area. Saw CAVAN board, but cant take chances. Came back again. Called my hubby. He said “don’t panic. U have a car with petrol.” I said “But the climate is turning worse. I cant see a thing now!” he told “Follow “town centre” boards. Get there and come back”. I felt better, now . I know town centre very well. With my meagre visibility I followed towncentre boards and reached our office within 45 mts.  There I saw my best-half waiting for me outside the doors, in that worst climate, rubbing his cold frozen hands together. 


10 pm: Inside the car, I heard him say “you are NOT going to drive after 7pm anymore….thats it!!!”


…..Yippeee…..that means he won’t be working late???????????


Pssstt, I don’t trust him. He may hire a cab, next time! LOL!


 


Part-2
--------


 The next day….


This time too he wanted to work till late night. Guess what did he do? Asked me to drive till office when there was still twilight (7pm). And asked me to wait for him at office till 10 pm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  tell me, what should I do, with a soul-mate like this?


 


Note: that’s the pic of dual carriageways in Britain and Ireland.

14 comments:

  1. Swathi.. thank goodness you found your way!!

    I remember 5 years back, the time I got my license first...I got lost and guess where I reached?? -

    Oman..... a different country altogether.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh!! I am glad you made it back safely. Losing way and that too at night time can be treacherous... And thank God for cell phones!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lols at your hubby's idea:))

    I too dread being lost as I am still not comfortable with highway driving...

    Glad you came back safe...As Sab said thanks to cell phone...Just imagine if you didnot have the cell phone that day:O

    :D O well, dont imagine...all is well that ends well...TAke cAre..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank God you were able to find your way back!! Lolz @ you waiting in your hubby's office till 10p.m.!!
    ....and Arfie!! Another country!! :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm..Good that u found ur way back.!!.
    Last day my friend deepa was also telling that she is waiting for her hubby to come out of office.It was already 9.30 then.they both work in the same place.Just remembered when i read ur post.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God for Mobile phones and handy town center boards!! Tough luck iron maiden! But ya made it! Hoorah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good taht u found ur way back... itz safe to wait at his office, but, ask him for one mor echance, and prove taht u have what it takes it in you.. then you can again start ur routine....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Good to know that u reached safe....Thanks to cell phone....Mahan hai wo jisne Cell phone ki khoj ki hai....its really very helpful in such situation.....Vardan ki terah sabit hota hai aeisi gadi mai...nahi!

    Take Care next time....

    ReplyDelete
  9. lucky for you that your hubby dear gave you directions to come back.
    for a moment.. just imagine... if he had given you directions to else where.. like arfana says... different country :) lol

    ore luv !! enjoy !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are pissed off in both the situations... lolzzz.... can't help really...
    But Next time, Drive carefully, Please...
    ultimately it's u who have to take care of urself !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm... Amen... All's well that ends well..! Glad you finally made it back..! Can imagine how panicky you must have felt..!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  12. swathy driving wrong direction without meeting exact destination is a big problem to all outsiders. any way u reached home safely.thank god.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank God you reached back safely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its not a bad idea to stay late with him... driving alone back when you are exhausted is not a good idea... Stay late and try to do those certain stuff at work which you always wanted to do but never got time... like organizing everything or making a documentation of some process or archiving mails or some crap like that! *smiles*

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...