Friday 30 March 2007

Touchy... films!

I am a true sucker for touchy emotional films, of any language. I can even list down which are the topics that are going to weep me to death, so that I can always have a box of tissues and a cup of hot chocolate ready before going to see those films. In Malayalam, it used to be the old religious movies of the type “Sree Guruvayoorappan” (about Lord Krishna) or “Sree Ayyappan”(about lord ayyappa). I know I am with the good old grandmas above 75 yrs, in that category. (Not the new generation grandmas!).Weeping my heart out, when finally the Lord gives “darshan” to the devotee. Oh..I lost count of the no:of times, I have cried then. As I know this problem of mine, I avoid seeing those kinds of films in public. That means, in seclusion, when I am sure no one will be watching, I have no problem in crying, seeing those films.

Here in Ireland, it’s something else (as I can’t get to see much religious movies, here!). The topics can be about team-spirit winning against all odds (The Mighty Ducks, Sister Act 1&2 or dead people coming to save their loved ones (like Ghost), starting from nothing and finally reaching goal thru perseverance (Homeless in Harvard) and of course all those Christmas miracles movies (there are lots of them!). Because of this I always make sure, I read synopsis, before watching one. Or else, I can land in much trouble some conditions, like opening door to a mail-man with swollen, red eyes! (ok, I have done that, once..may be twice!)

And those films inspire me a lot. That some times I write down dialogues from them or memorise them, to say that to myself over and again.(I know that’s stupid, but anything that inspires is worthy!). And only one Hindi film has inspired me in that genre. Its ‘Black’, which again comes to ‘winning-against-all-odds’! And I absolutely love Whoopi Goldberg. I fell in love with her on Ghost. Then, Sister Act 1&2. I don’t know how she handles comedy and drama so excellently. If an actor that has made me love them, its only her. Wish I could meet her in a personal level.!

What are the kinds of films that you guys like…?

For eg: my husband likes any films which are full of sound and fury and Schwarzenegger or Stallone!


Text Link Ads

19 comments:

  1. FTC... yaay poooiiiii......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all comic movies... coz i feel that there is lots of sentiments and drama in real life and the 2.5 hrs in the theatre we should have fun. Then again i like all periodical dramas, Family Stories, Real Life inspired movies (Page 3, Million $ Baby), army and war movies( behind enemy lines, Independence Day, Lakshya, Border), if you are asking me for a list then that will go on... and on like a duracel battery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well of late i doubt if i have started to cry in a theatre... i am not sure.. but none of my friends has made fun of me or spotted this out... so i guess i have not developed this habit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. same here... touchy movies touch me a lot to make me cry and I can cry even if I m watching it repeatively...

    was watching one hindi family drama today and was thinking on this topic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. take care with your BACK....

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes me to same as u...I always use to cry now n then on Emotional Scean....

    Take Care with ur Back pls...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'team-spirit winning against all odds' Yes BLACK is one of them and Mighty Ducks and Angels in the Outfield. Besides those Yash Raj and Karan Johar film which you cant afford to ignore but some are there definetly worth ignoring. But besides those I like Sadma..remember Sridevi and Kamal Hassan and then I like Stepmom..Prety women and movies with jennifer aniston in it and then there is whole of other movies..mummy, mummy returns. I think that's it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hei Swathi.

    Aawwww...
    My all time favourite film is WHITE NIGHTS of all the films I have ever seen.
    Also, like Sabrina - old n new versions very much and Reese Witherspoon movies like SWEET HOME ALABAMA.
    Take care and do keep well. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know me... horror's my favorite, then comes comedies. My emotional state of mind is so out of whack though that I even cry during horror movies. :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take care ..Take care & rest too!((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  11. i too get a lil teary every now n then...da funny thing is..
    wen we(ma mom,bro n me) watch da movie together n if thrz an emotional scene thtz goin on.. we 1st chek each others' faces if any of us were crying... n then juss grin n silently weep.. without da other 2 noticing!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Swathi, Cartoon enthanennu pidikittiyilla. If you are a person who weeps for a tragedy, you must be a person who hoots shrieks and really laughs at a comedy. Im like that. I loose myself and really cry or hoot with laughter. My wife is sometimes embarassed to come for a movie with me because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo ippol pidikitty, discinu preshnam undo? Back pain? Enikkum undu.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like all well-made movies be they of any genre. They should hold mt interest, thats all I ask of movie. If I start thinking of other things while watching movie, I rate it as not up to par!!:P

    Hmmm...as for crying, I may cry for the strangest reasons and be stone like for the most obviously touchy ones. Strange but true!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like movies with meaningful stories.

    I do cry sometimes seeing movies too...but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like well made movies... any kinds are fine as long as there are not horror movies.. I like drama, suspense, even action (esp chinese movies like 'The Hero' and 'Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon'), comedy, love stories, documentaries...

    Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, Shail and me sound almost identical... I swear I didn't read her comment before writing mine....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never prefer watchin sentimental movies. Cuz i know i wld defly cry. And i dont like anyone watching me while i do that. awww i luk like a nut..... makin that ufff ufff hichik hichik noise when i cry. booooooo so i see to that i watch only comedy movies and good romantic movies :-D and also movies with cheerful m*u*s*i*c

    "kaazhcha" mamooty's malayalam movie... Gawd i went with a whole lot of ppl... (relatives >:) grrr) and they all made fun of me for days together cuz i cried the hell out of me.

    In hindi... i cried wotchin "kabhi kushi kabhi ghum" i cried the whole night after watchin that movie. oh dont ask me why... that movie touched me so much personally.

    In telugu... i cried watchin "maro charitra" it was later made in hindi as "ek duje keliye" but telugu was the best.

    In english... *same pinch* "ghost" and of course "Titanic"

    Awww me too love Whoopi Goldberg! She is awesome... awww muah muah muah id juz die for her :-D hehehe

    In general am not a movie watcher. I can watch a movie only if i feel its got something really special in it. Oh but mah hubby *straight face* huhuhuhuh boooooooooo he watches anything and everything.

    The last movie i remember goin to the theatre and crying was "veyil" in tamil. I almost fought wid mah hubby for takin me to such a movie.This i watched this january when i was in india. Mah friend sujatha aka suji was sittin beside me. She is a very strong gal who doesnt cry much. So she controlled herself juz by shedding a few tears. I just wanted to run out of the theatre. Mah handkey was drenched. I got a very bad headache. I didnt talk to mah hubby the next day. More over it was a night show. So i lost the sleep too.

    I HATE SENTIMENTAL MOVIES (or rather i luv them to death may b but i dont wanna cry... as real life itself makes me cry for many things i come across hehe)

    Thanks for sharing this with us. It churned out mah good old memories. (((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

    Babs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ginglee's World....1 April 2007 at 02:07

    I always like touchy films very much.......AZAD

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...