Wednesday 7 March 2007

Chicken-Biriyani-Fried-Rice

Getting inspired by Sabs “virgo power”, here goes my recipe for Chicken Fried Rice with Biriyani Masala… yes, you read it right…I use Biriyani Masala for making Fried Rice, which should be actually called ‘Chicken-Biriyani-Fried-Rice’. This is the easiest and only version, as far as I know!

Disclaimer: My husband and I survived doesn’t mean that every human stomach survives!

Chicken – 1 kilo (preferably, cleaned medium chicken-breasts/legs)

Curd/Natural Plain yoghurt – 3-4 tb spoons.

Ginger-Garlic paste—2 tea spoons.

Salt -- to taste

Grandma’s Biriyani Masala – 3 tbsp (don’t use more, it may taste very sour!)

NOTE: There are a lot of taste differences between N.Indian and S.Indian Biriyanis. As I am from South, I prefer Grandmas, which is a S.Indian brand.

Mix all the above together in a bowl and keep aside for 3-4 hrs.

NOTE: Curd tenders meat .

After 3 hrs…

Cook Basmati Rice in a rice-cooker (so that you don’t have to drain water after that) to an extent so that the grains are not broken and don’t stick to each other. I meant don’t over-cook, use less water while cooking.

And while rice is being cooked…

In a non-stick wok (kadai, round-bottomed cooking vessel), heat 2 tbsp of oil. Then put 1 medium size onion finely chopped, 2-3 green chillies finely chopped and stir till they turn light brown.

Add chicken mixed with curd and Biriyani Masala into it and cook with medium water.

NOTE: Curd already has water content in it .

As per your preference you can add sweet corn or/and fresh green peas into the chicken.

Once the gravy dries up to a medium level, take the dish off from hob.

In a big mixing bowl, add rice and chicken with gravy layer by layer, alternately.

You can either mix or serve in layers. I like it mixed.

NOTE: That’s why I said earlier that basmati rice shouldn’t be overcooked, because the grains can break and be sticky and turn this into a mashed-chicken-rice(which is also edible)! while mixing.

Put fried cashew nuts and raisins on top!

NOTE:If you are lucky, it won’t be a disaster! And…don’t sue me!

As, I am writing from office, I dont have a picture!

Ooops..i forgot...
this is my very own entry to Sab's Food Festival!


Recent news:

I tried GMAT's shanghai stir fry yesterday and turned out WONDERFUL!!

thanks Sabiha and GMAT!

this is what i made from her recipe....

I used chicken stock cube, as a modification!



24 comments:

  1. Hei Swathi.

    Oh goody that I was the FTC.
    I like Indian food very much when it is cooked by the real people of India;
    if you know what I mean. My very favourite ethnic food is Persian.
    Thank you for a great recipe. My lunch today was Chicken Tikka Masala - DELISH!!
    Take care n do keep well in that Emerald Isle of Ireland.
    Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good going!! I am glad I made you post this... It sounds promising and surely I wil try it. Thnak you, thank you, thank you! *hug*

    Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rii,
    Honestly this is a fast and mini version of Chicken Biriyani, cos the procedure is a mixture of Fried Rice and Biriyani, to suit my needs. [I prefer Fried Rice, hubby prefer Biriyani]

    If you need authentic Indian food, you would get only Chicken Biriyani or Chicken Fried Rice(which is again Chinese!)
    But when you get practical, sometimes we mix and match! **winks**

    love,
    Swathi from Emerald Isle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sab...
    anythign for you dearie....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swathi, terrific recipe, I will add it to my arsenal of recipes, this is a must try one for sure. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now i am very hungry......Sounds wonderful Swathi!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. well i m Strickley Vegetarain.....but i guess i will try without chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  8. will i get to taste the chicken biriyani friedrice after ur ulakka treatment when i come to ur house??????

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha! fast and mini version .... maybe even i can try it successfully .. thanks, swaths!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww u guys make me hungry :-( i juz had mah dinner but am hungry again. Am i lucky enough to taste a few spoons? *blushing*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey... this is a very fast version! Cool... I should try this. I havent mastered non-veg dishes yet! LOL!

    And I think, with basmati rice in question, I think for first timers & non-experts, its better not to use the rice cooker due to the high chances that it may get overcooked. I have always ended up in disaster with that method! God knows how many cups of rice I've thrown out (or salvaged it as kanjhi) during my experiments! Achan would have killed me if he knew! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey..Swat...I wont believe this..Lemme eat..then only I can comment..huh..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always like fast to cook stuff!Gonna try this soon.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mashed-chicken-rice.!

    Aaah... anubhavam Guru... allae? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this funny ability to taste the recipe as I read it...Oh God, I'm starving!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. kewl recipe da!!!
    i m a vegetarian da to try out ur recipe:((
    hey by da way happy womens' day swathi...

    ReplyDelete
  17. let me call Lavanya and ask her to buy some chicken for dinner....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, like me you are experimenting with combining styles of dishes! Biriyani and Fried Rice...nice combo! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Came here for Chicken Biriyani !! Hmmm !! Thats beyond my limits !!! hi hi

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds good, thanks for sharing this Swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was a HARDCORE non-vegetarain, now following the righteous ways of vegetarianism and trust me this receipe did rekindle my non-veg desires!! :((:((

    I cannot be more greatful to you for NOT posting the pic :-D.
    (((((HUGGY)))))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woow! wat u have made looks really yumm...can i join u??

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...