Thursday 15 March 2007

On St Pat's Day!

This will be my first St.Patricks day in Ireland.

But I am down with migraine and nausea, so I can’t strain too much in front of computer. As work load was too much, I used to blog from home after 11 pm, and that took its toll on me. My hubby is cooking for past 3 days and life is a mess (not because of that!). Even now my head is throbbing!

So, I am posting some pictures of St.Patricks day celebrations, from our restaurant. (it’s the easiest I can achieve!!!)

And copying the mail from my friend Dhanya, who is also a mallu(keralite) from Ireland. Dhanya, with your permission, may I?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th, the feast day of Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. It is a national holiday in Ireland. It also is celebrated outside of Ireland in cities with a large number of people of Irish descent.

The Shamrock

The Shamrock, a 3-Leaf Clover, is Ireland's most recognized National Symbol. Here are some interesting facts about the Shamrock:

* Before the arrival of the Christians to Ireland the plant was sacred to the Irish Druids because the three leaves formed a triad.

* St. Patrick used the Shamrock leaf to illustrate the mystery of the Holy Trinity: How one God divided into three, The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit. when preaching Christianity to the Irish people.

* The word shamrock comes from the Irish word seamróg or seamair óg, meaning "little clover".

* The tradition of wearing Shamrock on Saint Patrick's Day can be traced back to the early 1700s.

* For good luck, it's usually included in the bouquet of an Irish bride, and also in the boutonniere of the groom.

St.Patricks day official site

in wikipedia

History Channel

.......

and more authorised blog on St.Patricks day, by an Irish blog friend..

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Trivia:

1) Ireland doesn’t have snakes because, St Patrick(Ireland patron saint) is believed to have driven all the snakes from Ireland.

2) We are going to Galway this weekend (Monday is off!). If Irish climate and my health (both unpredictable) supports me, then may be I can post some nice photos!

3) Ireland’s flag is same tricolour like India’s. So I felt like we were celebrating Aug 15!!

4) Today we had complete Irish menu. I had “Beef in Guinness pot “ aka beef and vegetables cooked in Guinness draught!!!! And yes, I am still on my senses!


16 comments:

  1. Hei Swathi.

    Poor thing!
    Hope that you will recover soon and be able to chill and enjoy them holidays over there.
    Take care. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rii, i have used ur blog link in my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. get well soon dear....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Saint Patrick's day,Swathi...thanks for sharing this info.

    And get well soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. u take care da:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Saint Patrick's Day...and pls Take Care of ur self...it says Health is Wealth....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Hapy St Patrick's day to you all! Tomorrow they are celebrating at the kids' school as well... For that I got green nachos and green dip and I will dress Nadia and Myra in green!! Thanks for sharing all the info here... Now I know more about it and might impress Nadia!!


    Sabiha

    PS Get well soon... here I am too reeling under cold, fever, etc :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was informative one. Happy St PAtrick's Day to you.
    and hey do take good care of yourself....
    I feel lucky when Hubby cooks for me when I am sick, but after recovering I feel like cooking day and night for him to compensate.... dunno why..
    I think that's womenish...

    Sabiha, Get well soon dear...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Migrane's are terrible.I get them too!Take care..
    I didn't know the Irish flag was the same tricolour too .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey that was an awesome blog! Thanks a bunch for sharing these infos. that i never knew before. hmmm kick that migraine away. juz tell it to get lost. Get well soon and get back here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy St. Patricks day to you...

    Take care Shwathi...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That smiley face is a little perverted looking, don't you think? :P Hope you're feeling better soon. **Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  13. Recover fast...! Happy St.Patrick's Day..!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take care of your health Swati...Happy St. PAtricks Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy St Patrick's Day !!!

    More important...

    Get well soon (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...