Monday 20 February 2006

Un, dos, tres !!



ImageIt feels odd to write abt the lack of serenity and virtues of temples just entirely contradicting to my last blog !!!!!!Image


Last night I woke up at 1:30 AM with a loud 10,000W full volume boom-box voice which felt like its blown inside my house.Image You should have been in my place, to jump awake in the middle of night hearing “Un, dos, tres….” Of Ricky Martin at 1:30 AM in 10,000W, blasting in my ear Image(I thot my heart was vibrating and my ECG at that moment must be going haywire!!!!). I was “literally” deaf and dumb for 5 minutes, before I came back to my senses.Image I was completely unprepared for this treat, for my ears!!Image


It turned out that on Feb 26 th , it’s the Mahashivaratri, and the Lord Shiva temple near my house (OK, its NOT the one, I mentioned in my last blog â€¦this is in the main road(our own townish temple!) celebration has started by blasting “Maria” in the middle of nite!!!! ImageBelieve me, I wouldn’t have hated that song, sooooooooooooooo much in my life at that moment.Image How I loved Ricky!Image But never as the reason to wake me up at 1:30 am, as part of shivaratri celebrations?????Image Oh my God, save me and Ricky Martin.Image


Now we(me, mom, dad and our dog) are completely deafened for 1 week(till 26th). One loud speaker is placed near our gate(it seems). ImageUse of loud-speakers is prohibited by law. But who cares!!!Image We cant talk or hear anything inside the house. ImageWe cant hear our phone ringing, water-tank overflowing, calling bell ringing, or NOT even some one banging the door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our dog has gone silent, and seems confused, just like us (may be partially deafened, too).Image Ricky Martin is “screaming” 24 hrs a day.Image They switch it off at 12:30 AM and switch it on at 4:00 AM. And that’s our sleeping time. Even after they switch it off, I hear “Un, dos, tres” reverberating in my ears!!!Image


Now humans and animals in our house, speak to each other in one universal language ---the sign language!!!!! Image. Till now, the songs they play (or rather BANG!!!) remains malayalam, tamil and English/Latin (mostly film songs!). For the first time, I feel a relief, when power supply goes.Image But it lasts only for some time (till they start using generators!!!).


Lord Shiva Temple and Ricky's “She bangs..”----WOW what a combination!!!!Image


Ricky Martin, must have never thought that this latin (or Spanish??) song would be BANGed in a small Lord Shiva temple and that too in a small malayalam speaking area!!!). Image


I am worried about the real “Lord Shiva” who resides in that temple with his wife, “Parvathi” near Him, and is “Forced” to hear “She Bangs” all 24 hrs!!!!!


If this is 21st century( “kalyug”, would be a better name, I think!!!), I don’t want to imagine further future.  Image



22 comments:

  1. Thats really weird to read that people are playing pop music in Temple. Anyways sorry for u & ur family, for suffering from this noice Pollution...Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha swathi this onething is unavoidable in our south india.at the most shameful in someplaces they play midnight masala songs for temple functions.no law could stop them.nowonder it would be a maha shivarathri for u and people around your area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. swathzzz

    lol this is weird huh .....


    kriz

    ReplyDelete
  4. noice pollution...ridiculous ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha very much weird ricky martin song in shiva temple,yeah in villages its became a fashion to keep loud speakers for any festivals and that to they wont keep devotional songs they keep all movie songs and pop songs,any way u have to u use some cotton to ur ears till 26th,this may save u from being deaf hahahaaaaaaaaa.takecare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shall I send you and your family some ear plugs? ;-) **Hugs**

    Thanks for your comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm thts really bad of those guys....not fair on their part for many reasons...first...noice pollution..second...in a temple its really wierd tht u play songs like she bangs..:D..n third..tht too late in da nite...very bad...:)no wonder as pradeep said its gonna b a mahashivraatri for u...:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. shocking....naatil bhaktiganam allathe enthegilum ittal, pinne idunna aalude podipolum kittilla.. aarum onnum parayille pop muic play cheyyunnathinu? i cant imagine that...and, it is really cruel to rob humen beings their basic freedoms...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love to be there ..............
    i love that atmosphere..........."ulsavam"
    anyway its just for a small period in a year......enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swathi, these guys are trying to prove " GOD IS UNIVERSAL"............what? Can't you hear me......hello......hello....mike testing......1....2......3....

    ReplyDelete
  11. ANU---anu its really testing our patience, yaar! even "bhajan" at this volume would make us ONLY to hate it!

    PRADEEP---u r rite. S.Indians unite in noise pollution in temples! we are having a forced "shivarathri" on us!

    KRIZZ---really weird! when u come to India, better be prepared for this kind of stuff (esp in S.India).

    KRISHNA---its truly there...and very much nerve-racking!

    PRAVEEN---i pray, that too...but even devotional songs at this volume will make humans go mad, yaar!

    LISA---i may need it badly..or may be, i have to leave this place and stay some where else, for 1 week. but still we cant say anything against this...if we do, then it may turn into something against "religious rights". phew....

    JYOTHI---u r very correct. it sounds funny. but in real, its not funny. its ushing us into a nervous break down. we cant even complain against it....

    ANOOP--Wwhen did u last attend a temple festival, in kerala? now a days, they play devotional songs as "starters" and then get into pop/film songs as "main course". this is too much, man!

    RAKHU---u miss utsavam? come, take my place...i am ready to exchange my current situation with anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. MADDY---what? what r u telling? tell me in sign language!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Im from Trivandrum. I know what its like. temples churches mosques all contribute to the uncivillity. Processions which hold traffic to ransom.Horrible to be at the receiving end. Kerala culture they say is Kathakali Mohiniattam etc. kerala culture is how Keralites behave and in this case its atrotious. Hope there is a transformation soon. Inshallah. regards jacob

    ReplyDelete
  14. i try my maximum to be at home for vilakkupattu. in our temple, itz on makaram 1st. may be thatz true in town areas, but, ent enaadu ippzhum oru pakka graamam aanu :) so, ithuvare no cinima pattu for utsavam..:) vilakkupattinte annu chinthu pattu/ayyappanpattu undavum...athu neram velukkuvolam neend nilkkum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sound funny but I am sure its not for you… immediately two things came to my mind: [1.] may be I wouldn’t have woke up since I am not sensitive in my sleep..)) [2.] can you go to court on this will you win..!? may be not – I remember Guruvayur Devaswom managing committee had won a case and court allowed the Guruvayur Devaswom to use horn-type amplifiers in and around the temple premises...

    so I would recommend my way of life.. develop a in-sensitive and give highest priority to sleep..

    ..)).. cheers, Yuva

    ReplyDelete
  16. Had enough experience ....Once I made the organiser realise the probelm,I put a speaker as shown above ,into his house(I had friends in the organising committe).They are crazy.....Puting sexy songs during a temple festival.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yep VOLUME week grt ,for me every day VOLUME DAY bcoze i stay in hostel really.
    u will feel good after 2 or 3 days even u wont sleep without these .......hahaaaaaaa try to adict for HIGH VOLUME , i know u might already adicted by this time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. :) funny ......I don't remember much about india....but can't imagine a ricky martin song playing in the middle on the night...lol (sorry to be laughing at your expense...hope you are doing well!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. JACOB: i am sure u know it better...join the club!!

    ANOOP: yea, may be in pure rural villages, they still dont use film songs or pop. but i think even all "ayyappanpaattu" in 10k W is horrible! (i hope in ur place, is not 10k W).

    IAMYUVA: i am very sensitive sleeper. which has caused so much trbl (ok, that made me remember to write another blog on it, thanks!LOL). i cant go and give case and destroy my life for it. at least i can say, now ONLY my sleep is destroyed!


    CHANAKYA:yea! ur idea will work on keralites (only that works!!!)

    SRINIVAS:I was in hostel for 10 yrs...i can almost bear volume till 1000W , i suppose(hostel immunity!). but this is unbearable, yaar!

    ARUN: even i can laugh at it! LOL!

    SWATI: hey, i wrote it just to laugh over i. These are unavoidables in India, and laughing over it, lightens the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  20. yeah i will thanks swathzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fantastic Blog Swathi. You have given a spectacular thought to compose the blog. A very humourous one. As far as these boom-box voices are concerned, i am quite acquainted with it in my village. Every time any marriage happens or any festival like this one, the sound box starts playing 7 days prior and after the function and we all practise the dumb charade show he he he :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...