Monday 6 February 2006

Homesick ???


Hi guys, I am back after 5 days at my cousin’s home(where I grew up ,till I was 15). Now, there are lots of problems in between all grown-ups( pls don’t ask me if I am not a grown-up yetImage…when compared with 55yr olds, I still am a kidImage)…and I try to remain as “dumb” as possible, in such situations…sometimes lots of unwanted problems are suppressed with this “dumb” act of mine…Image

 

I found a lost aunt of mine, in my cousin’s house (our long lost neighbor cum relative!). She and her family is in UAE for past, may be 25 yrs! And when she saw me, she started asking abt Ireland and stuff…and I was just smiling and trying to prove my existence with some “hmm”’s and “yeahh”s…ImageI didn’t have to do much, cos she did all the questions and answers for me.Image I just had to wear that “dumb” smile and say “yea…” for all her question-statements…Image


 

Everything was ok, until she asked me one thing …”when you first came back from Ireland to Kerala, didn’t u feel how dirty, un-developed and filthy, our place is? Arrghhh!! I hated this place, when I came back!! ”---and I was like Image“ohhh…she has hit me, right on my head!!”…cos I have NEVER felt or even thot so… we were not alone, her husband and my uncle, aunt and cousin were also in our company. And I suddenly dropped my “hmmm”s and “yeahh”s..and told her very sharply..”NO, I never felt that…infact even at Ireland, I always wanted to feel the sand in my place”Image...(it was a very true feeling…nothing related with deep patriotism, but I sure missed touching the sand in Kerala! ).


And she cudnt take it…she asked me “NO…??? how come, u didn’t feel that???”. I told, “I don’t know, but I didn’t feel that. Aunty, I lived here for past 27 yrs, how can I forget that in just 1 yr???” and she said “Still, u didn’t feel, how FILTHY this place is ?? in UAE…”.And then began the UAE saga……Image


Actually she was trying to make me feel as though she and myself are similar, (NRI’s) and that we MUST be feeling so bad about our own country and state??? Image


I felt very bad, cos if she was born and brought up in UAE to NRI parents, I would have understood her thought. But she was born and brought up here in Kerala, in a very ordinary family for 29 yrs and then became an NRI!!! Will that change our attitude..I cant say cos, I am NOT an experienced NRI like herImage. I am so much new in Ireland, that I identify myself more with Kerala than Ireland.


I live in Ireland, cos it gives me bread, it gives me money…it gives me a better standard of living in India.  In simple words, its like missing my husband and my mom. With my husband (in Ireland) I miss my mom (in India) and with my mom, I miss my husband …I identify these ppl in my life, with their respective countries…Image

How will it be, if I was asked to choose one??? Image

 

How will it be, if I was asked to say that as I am married, I feel my mom is NOT fashionable??? OR NOT presentable???Image

Isn’t it ridiculous???? Image

 

Anyway she continued and stuck on to her theory of “un-civilized”, “filthy”, “un-cultured” keralites…(WOW! What a tribute!). GREAT!!Image For all those keralites(or Indians), who are going to be like my aunt…”hats off” for thinking like her!Image

In Malayalam we have a saying:

"Veedu maranaalum, moodu marakkaruthu!"---translating,

“Even if u forget ur home, Never forget ur roots”.

Wish I could have told this to her face…Image

 

But as usual, I didn’t tell her cos, she is nearly 55 yrs old, and I was FORCED to put on my “dumb” act and chew on my fingers till it hurt!! GOSH ! sometimes, its very difficult to be POLITE!!!Image

 

26 comments:

  1. welcome back swathi, true sometimes its very difficult to polite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Chechi,
    Nice comeback........If u can say abt ur aunty I can show 100 of them.....I simp(B)ly ask them...Then Why are u came back to India.......sure they will keep quite.....Else I will start roar again …I hate this kind of people and avoid them…..and tell them on face “ Alpanu artham kittiyal ardharathikku kuda pidikkum “ LOL….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Swathi Welcome back,
    You bring a good story? Ammai chumma Jada kanichatalle!!
    Aterakkangu Kariyamakkanamennilla poor Aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome back...was missing u

    ReplyDelete
  5. KRISHNA---thanks alot..
    ROHIT---may be u know it much better than me..
    AJAYI---that was my first time yaar...will try to be more realistic next time..but u know, really used to respect her!
    MADHOO---i was also missing u dear..i came home, 3hr back and till now i havent even changed my dress...missed u guys, aloot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. today, reading ur blog, i came to know u work in ireland. howz the place, swathi?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karthik_The_Dude6 February 2006 at 07:51

    Very true Swathi....home is where the heart is...what ths point in never ending highways and clean and litterfree roads when they dont even belong to us....NRIs can spend their lifes in a foreign land but will probably never truly belong to the adopted country...
    But i am surprised ur aunt calls Kerala filty...i dont know much...but when i went there for a week long vacation..i thought Kerala was truly Indias most beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad your back and sorry to hear you had to deal with that. Though I can't relate fully I do understand what you're saying. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York (Brownsville was the name of the projects we lived in) and even though it's considered one of the worst neighborhoods in Brooklyn I still call that home and feel a sense of pride for growing up there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swathi, Nice to know- You are calling a spade A Spade. Yeah, here you can find lot of people like your aunt. In the Middle East everyone knows that one day they have to go back to India( No citizenship evenif you live for 25+ years- except in Oman),but still comments like your aunt. May be few percent of People or their children migrate to other countries.More than 90% returns to India. If you ask any single individual here- Will you stay in the Gulf or Go back to India if the same amount of salary is offered in India??, I am sure "YES" will be the answer 99.9%. Money is the only driving force for all here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see u back...u r right swathi...its very difficult to be polite sometime..me i also find many people saying this thing....When someone ask me that r u feeling nice now to be in canada...n i always reply...no i miss India and specially my place...gujarat...and they will reply me..u r going to hate when u will go back.....but me ...never ever...and my aunt..she always make xcuess abt indai....this ..that etc...i was so frustated that i say her that if u don't like india..why u r asking my Mumma to send u sareee...india spicies etc from inida...y don't u buy from here only etc etc...well i can't keep patience on me....Anyways...thats the part of life too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Swathi so good to have u back, i was really missing u and ur blogs ***Hugs***

    hmmm see how these things r... i would love to visit india and spend as much time as possible there, and ur aunt sais that India is filthy and whtever... too bad u couldn't say all u think in her face, i think that India is full of traditions, history and great places to visit, i hope soon i will be able to be there not only thru Discovery Channel, but for real.

    Welome back sweetoo, was really missing u

    With Love
    ...Tanu...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome Back swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey,Rightly said,I know persons who after only 'ving Kanji & Payaru,now they only eat KFC items....Wear only branded items....I really miss my place...

    ReplyDelete
  14. welcome back swathi and not surprised to see these kinda peoples.they are just trying to show-off and show themself as superior to others who r listening their stories.its kinda weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey swathi, welcome back! missed u !! hey da, there are ppl like ur aunts calling india filthy etc...with ppl like that..its jus hard yaa:(

    ReplyDelete
  16. welcome bak gal....its k...few people are juss like tht...nothing can change themmm...don think too much abt tht lady....

    ReplyDelete
  17. your writing style is unique and always has a different taste :) keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You made me homesick...

    ReplyDelete
  19. SOOD--Ireland is a very beautiful country (except for its cold climate) I love Ireland!
    KARTHIK---kerala is comparatively cleaner...but sure, NOT as clean as UAE, may be!
    LISA--yea, home is always home...
    MADDY---u r very correct...but ppl change, alot..i pray that i wont change, at least seeing this..
    ANU--yea, u r absolutely rite...even my aunt "exports" all Indian goods to UAE

    ReplyDelete
  20. TANU---***Hugs***...
    ARAVIND---thank you...
    CHANAKYA---u r correct...mansillengilum, kanjiyude orma undayirunnaal nannu...
    PRADEEP---u r rite, that was my first exp, from a relative..now i will look for more LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. JANU---dear,next time, i wont be polite, any more, i have decided that...
    JYOTHI---u know ppl like her projects a bad image to other natives....its very bad, yaar..i keep my Ireland home speckless. when my hubby askd "why", i say its cos, to others we represent India..may be lots of ppl,judge India, by just seeing us behave, na? doesnt we have a kind of RESPONSIBILITY then?

    ReplyDelete
  22. PIYUSH----thanks alot..
    ITS JUST ME---really???

    ReplyDelete
  23. Swathi,
    These are some of the hard facts we have to swallow....they foget the old saying "vanna vazhi maranal munnilulla kuziyil veezhum"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great blog, and great style of writing! I was born and grew up in America, but I always feel homesick for India. I never mind the "dirt"...Here the dirt is hidden away inside people's minds. But my mom...:) sigh! But at least she doesn't go about talking loudly about her feelings...but it's easy to see from her expression that she is dirt-phobic when she goes home ;) Ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Time u came back....I was just about to notify the police....LOL!!!but i was missing u like hell.....WELCOME BACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We have a saying here in the U.S. "Home is where the heart is" I imagine that applies to anyone, anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...