Wednesday 15 February 2006

A Temple & its serenity (not lost yet!)



I admit that I am not an avid or regular temple-goer. And even if I go, I will never go by walking. Usually I take my car, if I can reach there by it. I do the ritual, and then get home as soon as I can. I never care to spent time, in temple premises. Image


But there is a very old small Lord Shiva temple some, 2.5 km from my house. I went there first when I was 5 yrs old. My father's youngest sister took me there (she was 25 yrs then). That was when I came to my dad's house for summer vacation. The thing is that, this temple is almost 2-3 km inside from the main road. Actually there isnt any proper-tarred road. Its reachable only by walking thru higher and lower areas of lonely wilderness.Image As it is too much inside from the main road, we wouldnt even hear a single sound of an automobile there. ImageBoth sides of the primitive road to the temple, are still covered with so much wild trees and flowers that, we feel that we are almost walking thru a forest, till we reach the temple.Image


I decided to start walking to that temple back and forth everyday, to give some exercise to my otherwise dull body.(OK, the truth was, I wanted to reduce some weight!).Image But after the first time, I really got glued to the ritual. It was so hard to reach the temple. By the time, u reach there, you will be really out of breath! Image(After going thru all the ups and downs of the muddy route!)


At 6:30pm the "Deepaaradhana" or "Aart" starts. I start from home at 6:10pm and when I reach there it will be 6:35pm, and I will be out of breath. The route is so secluded and dark that my parents were very worried about me traveling alone, when I did it for the first time.Image The original reason is mainly cos, the local people here, dont know me, as I dont go outside thru this local routes, and that too by walking. (OK, its true that they stare at me, may be cos of my short hair and unfamiliar face LOL!)Image


Everyday I try new small local routes to reach from temple to main road. (OK, my mom has strictly prevented me from doing it, cos I dont know any local routes here!) ImageToday when I walked panting, the only sound I could hear was the sound of cuckoo and some other wild birds.Image Couldnt even hear the "kaaw" of our crows--only cuckoo sounds were there. I stopped there looking up at the trees, to find cuckoos. But couldnt, find anyone. It was very dark, after 7pm.Image


Almost all temples are associated with a temple-pond or "ambalakkulam". And most of them will be filled with water lilies.Image Here also there is one, near the big Peepal tree (which is also another common, thing in a temple). We are supposed to wash our feet in pond, before entering temple. But now the temple-pond is so dirty that nobody bothers to do it. The water is very dark green and when I sat in the stone-steps, I cud see small fishes touching my feet. ImageIn big temples, we will never get to feel so much silence and serenity. But as this temple is very much inside and is not known to public other than local people, there are still natures blessings in it.Image


As soon as the "aarti"("deeparadhana") is over the people (max there will be only 6-7) leave the temple and it becomes so secluded and lonely again.Image


I have really fallen in love with that place.Image Mainly cos, it hadnt had much changes since my first visit, when I was 5 yr old. But yea, 1 or 2 concrete houses are coming up...still the only sound I could hear while traveling through those narrow muddy road are those of cuckoo songs!Image



26 comments:

  1. i really envy kerala for these kinda locations.how nice it wuld be to have a walk with no noises and only cuckoo sounds.
    so u r enjoyin ur evening walk with dual purpose.enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those walks sound so peaceful and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kerala is beauty...i really admire it..enjoy nature

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Swathi, I agree with you about the temple environments. They have a strange way of making you feel calm through all the everyday chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PRADEEP---after each evening trip, u dont know how much i am re-charged!
    LISA---in my present condition,this is the only way of retaining a little sanity! (i know,it sounds silly to u, cos i know what u r going thru!)
    KRISHNA--i am finally, exploring my own place, which was unknown even to me!
    NAINA--not every temple has that.for eg: famous temples,from where I got very bad experiences(i want to tell names, but I am not!) are always crowded with shops, beggars, and beyond all tons of ppl(who doesnt always come to pray!). there will be so noise,that u wont even feel u r in a temple. but small, unknown,old temples,in villages keep that serenity!there u wont have to fear attack from another devotee..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't sound silly at all... We all need to find that peace of mind. **Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swathi, it seems u have very less patience (no walk and only car) to meet ur fav god at his house.. i mean temple. But u have more patience to blog about it !! :)) just kiddin

    nJoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, u r making me really homesick :) i used to go to temple and play volleyball till deeparadhana, and used to take part in bajana...ippo athonnum illa, volleyball kalium ninnu, bajanayum ninnu...mainly coz all the youth driftd apart or got job..now, we r waiting for our sucesssors to take that place....evideya achante veedu...the description is soo.. touching... edavazikalum, paadavum, thodiyum,marangalum....i miss them all very much......"karayattoraasssal graamabangi..."...anyway. am gng home next week.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well put Swati. Its always great to find a temple with such a great peaceful environment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nostalgia....Swathy...sounds familiar....that old feeling...the enviorment....sound of Birds.....Woman busy delivering on the way workers to yhe fields...I can even visualise...Can u tell me where it is.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Swathi, it rekindles my experience. When I was studying in the college,me and my friend use to go a temple on a nearby hill for "Amavasai" poojas.There we could find only few people.we could hear only the bell sound and the priest's slokas. Once the prayers are over, we sit on the parapet and have a bird's view of the small town below with the sparkling lights like stars in the sky and in a breezey weather. Now...............I would say
    " My dil go ummmmmmmmmmm " only. Hope to enjoy the same one day in the future. Thanx for "rewinding"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Temples are different for me (though God is same)
    Early memmories start with Family Temple(S)-I was lucky for that...and going there with my grant parents....
    When I grown up...I dont like the crowd in the the temples..and avoid to go when there r special occations just becoz its crowded(That time we go there for not to see GOD;)
    Still when now we go hometown mum ensures we visit all our favourite temples including family temples with out fail. I favourite time is Morning just coz u can have more peace...But in Kerala they insist to wear traditional dress which sometime bothers me...Is god is concerned abt dress too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice blog gal....even me not a very avid temple goer...but wenever i got to da temple..i feel sooo pacified..it feels different from inside...n i luv tht feeling...:x

    ReplyDelete
  14. thats what back to square one means...

    we might earn money , go places and do what ever .. traquility comes from the smallest and the most basic things .. ( god !! i sound serious ) .. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, Swathi, i bet the place is amazing, hhhmm on my 1st visit to India i will ask u to tell me how can i reach this peaceful temple.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LISA--* hugs* thanks!

    DIWAKAR---have u ever gone to busy-like-bee temples? ppl have tried to attack me there, can u believe that? i bet that busy temples is the worst part of society where you can find all sort of criminals. but this temple, cos of its anonymous nature, is sill "serene" including the ppl there.

    ANOOP---my dad's place is near Chirayinkeezhu..(near PremNazir's house). the temple is Kodumon temple (its very small,unfamous,local one), he he he...la la la la...i made u go home!!!

    PIYUSH---yea, even the atmosphere recharges ur spirit...

    CHANAKYA---its a very unfamous place. Kodumon, on the way to Chirayinnkil(b/w Attingal and Trivandrum).


    MADDY---rewinding...currently i am experiencing it...for the first time, i am writing my present...great to know, it sill gives "nostalgia".

    ROHIT---i have family temple(mom's) in the city(can you believe that). its "thekkathu" near family house. there is no adventurous ways to reach there, almost attached to family house. i know "poovalanmaar"always keep me away from temples in spcl occassions. yea, in this temple, no shirt is allowed inside and only "mundu" for guys!may be ie why guys are very rare (good for me LOL!)also shiva temple is esp meant for women...i support dress code, cos then only "real devotees" come inside. Else believe me, i have got the worst exprnces in my life from Sree Padmanabha Swami temple!

    JYOTHI---thanks dear. but still i would like to admit that not all temples give me good feeling. very busy temples, really scare me off!

    RAGHU---yea, u sound serious! u know that too? LOL!

    TANU---its near my house. when you ever come to Kerala, just inform me. if I am here, i will sure show you (i hope, this serenity remains!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I miss my temple in Udupi.... U no i go there only after everyone has left.... Sit and chat with GOD ALONE! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember my college days, when I used to go to Pragatheeswara Temple (Thanjavur Big Temple) frequently. It is not to prey, but will get some piece of mind.
    From my school days, I used to goto holy places for studies during tests and examination, where I believe that I can get good concentration and piece...
    I miss my country and temples...
    Thank you for your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  19. i would love to go to that temple. just as u have said most of the temples don't have that peacefulness. and temples likes these have become rare.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey swathi..neither do I visit the GOD in temples that often..I believe he's within me..but of course being in a temple, that lovely calm atmosphere is jus great and hey swathi..I wanna come to kerala...:) and see this temple and also YOU

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful !!

    Nothing is more peaceful than a visit to the temple. And it is 100 times more, in an ambalam (malayalam for temple). Specially the older and smaller ones, that havent seen touch of commercialization. One of my favourite is the wadakunathan temple in trishoor. Big, huge actually, but quiet and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. a great post..and good pics of water lilies ! If you could use smilies, it would be more easy to read

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your smoothflow of the script is
    so refreshing Swathi !!!
    Say hello to all Cuckoos:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah dear... this is a beautiful write up! Actually even though I have been to this temple, like hundred times, still I never noticed the beauty of this place until I read this post! I think I have got some old pics of this place too. Good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. SWATHZZZZ
    IM BACK HE HE HE IM GOING TO HYD THIS MARC AND MY FRIEND TOLD ME TO STAY IN KERALA AND HOPE I WILL ENJOY MY VACATION THERE AND I AM EXCITED HUH..IM GOING TO INDIA..IM GOIN' TO INDIA HE HE HE ((((XCITED))))

    KRIZZ

    ReplyDelete
  26. Swathi....

    I know you are angry with me dear. It is long time I passed through your house(Blog). My apologies. You see I came to your house(blog) on a special occassion ie Temple story.

    God knows when to invite and when not. U know I like praying where ever I feel comfortable. I mean I pray just standing any where. But I love going to temple for the calmness, particularly the arthi smell and the beautiful songs played at the background. I prefer the temple when it is not too crowded.So You took us to Kerala temple thanks. Swathi note I will be knocking your door soon when I am in India during July( just kidding..)____________________________Balaji

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...