Wednesday 14 February 2007

There ended my Valentine's day!


Yesterday Anooj aka Sheikhmon asked me why the Valentine storm didn’t reach my page (missing red colour, red rose, red hearts, or even a post about love/Valentines’ day). I answered him that I quit celebrating this day after my first break-up. Of course , that was just to shut him up. (He didn’t shut up..that was another issue!). But his question just hit me. So yesterday evening when we went to TESCO, I decided to try. This is the conversation that took place, as its result.

Me: You know every husband will buy his wife some gifts today.

Him: Why today?

Me: Tomorrow is Feb 14 th.

Him: So?

****my god, doesn’t he see all those red balloons and those huge hoardings on special offers on Valentine’s day gifts and those huge teddies with I-love-you ,all over the place?****

Me: Feb 14th is Valentine’s day.

Him: What’s that?

**** God, sorry, I did a mistake. Why did you give me this big mouth? ****

Me:***patiently and hopefully*** It’s the day to express love for your love, by buying gifts

Him: OK.

****5 minutes silence****

Me: So…ahem…. are you going to buy some thing for me?

Him: Why?

Me: Everybody does that. **God, do I sound desperate? ***

Him: hmmm….

Me: ***softly *** How about that teddy, on that display?

Him: Are you crazy? Its 12€. You want me to waste 12 € for some stupid day?

Me: OK, then what about those flowers?

Him: Swathi, you want me to waste money on flowers that withers away within hrs?

Me: OK. then may be something cheaper? **God can I bury my head inside earth, please? ***

Him: Like what?

Me: Small teddies may be? *** Do I have anything called p-r-i-d-e, left in me?***

Him: OK, if its under 5€.

*** 5€? Even a decent chocolate box costs 7€****

Me: **wearing that drama-queen mask** Don’t you think that its so pitiful for me to ask you to buy me something on Valentine’s day? I didn’t get anything from any boys on this day, even while I was in college and now I have only you, to ask.****sniffing*** And now, you don’t even want to buy me anything. O god! I will never get any love-gift in my life for Valentine’s day. Will this wish of mine, die with myself? ***eying him to see, if there is any effect, on his face ***

Him: **smiling** You wanted a teddy, isn’t it? I knew that earlier. Why couldn’t you tell me that directly, instead of going through all this?

***by this time we reached the aisle full of I-love-you teddies***

Him: Go on…take, whatever you want!

Me: ***smiling from ear to ear***I just wanted to hear that from you.

**checking price-tag** Oh! Its very costly. Why waste money on such things!!! Lets go and buy some groceries !!!

Him: Are you sure?

Me: Of course, I am. Also those teddies don’t look handsome!

And that’s how my Valentine’s day shopping ended!!!

Anooj, Now tell me, don’t you think that its a good thing that we (me and hubby) are actually respecting St. Valentine by NOT celebrating His day? LOL!!!


PS: For those who couldn't find anything funny in this, read THIS.

29 comments:

  1. hehe happens daalin! Happens many a times. hmmm we all have something that coincides. Luv u and wish u a very happy valentine's day!(((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you are not feeling bad in wasting some time to do this write-up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diwakar: I can say "I tried".... LOL....

    Babs: :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like me... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!!! That was hilarious Swathi..........Join the club....I dont have anything to do either!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my i just can not stop laughing imagining ur expressions.....:)..happy valentines....I guees what u said is true, that by not celelbrating the day you are respecting St. Valentine....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It happens..It happens..all the time!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Valentine's Day anyway(((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny story, Happy Valentine's Year for you and your husband. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What Valentine's Day ?
    I call it hallmark holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Unconditional Love" is the most precious gift
    one possibly could get on this day from his / her loved one.
    Rest of presents are dwarfs in front of that gift.

    You got ( getting ) it in abundance from your hubby...

    "Enjoy your Valentines year" - I loved the idea tossed by Chris :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, funny story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahem ahem... (trying desperately to contol my laugh..)

    I am happy to know that my comments prompted a hilarious blog....

    But i dont understand why always the husbands have to get the gift for his wife.... cant the ladies also take an initiative??? well you could have given a gift to ur hubby to make him realise that its valentines day...

    But i am glad that u made an effort... and those teddies were indeed not beautiful... i agree... and i always believe for expressing love u dont need these useless propos which loses its beauty with time...

    i dont agree that u r not celebrating St. Valentine's day... well i guess u would have told atleast an 'I love You' to ur hubby... That in itself is a celebration and a mark of respect to St. Valentine...

    Beautiful Blog... and Happy Valentine's Day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. grt narration..felt like a drama in front of me..Swat..Nice one..
    I think after marriage..there wont be a feb 14 th to remember for men!!!..bcoz things will cost too much... hi..hi .......Whats ur opinion??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is your middle name Kanchapisinaari??? No Noooooooo redbricks of course.

    Sankaran......did I say those words to you??!!**Winks***

    ReplyDelete
  16. ***Smiles*** it Happens all the times with me....but do we really need a Gift to show our LOVE>>>> No na......

    Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HA ha ha... trying to shut my mouth.... ha ha ha... ROTFL....

    Well that is something next to impossible....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can imagnine how u look with the head buried in the earth..lol. I would say that was a very romanic evening spent qualitatively. U didnt have to waste money plus u could educate ur hubby the significance of V~day.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  19. tht was sooo kewl.. perfect understanding;)
    me too didn't get ne valentine gift frm sunil.. never mind... he is a biiiiiiiiiig gift for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. He is true Indian Hubby who believes in loving the wife 365x24x7 instead on a single day in a year....

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL Oh! thats such a Normal response by oh so many couples. At least as you shopped you did some educating to your hubby and we women are so contrary aren't we? When asked if you actually want a teddy you refuse it LOLL. No wonder men get confused. Well next Valentine's Day or even Today give your hubby a big dose of romance pills..and then let us know what happens? I thank you for asking me to Place this post in the Words of Love challenge and it is a lovely light hearted exposure indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha ha!! I am happy Haris got me a card and a box of chocolates... I didn't expect anything beyond this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. ehehe I didn't get anything for him nor did he for me altho. he blasts the
    snow storm that hit us! Regardless, I grew up here and always wanted that someone gift me something but then later I was like everyone is gifting today, etc. So why join the bandwagon!? Standout! eheh so we made something together,
    some aloo parathas which was being cooked for the first time by us. It was
    the best valentine's ever I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. btw forgot to add that I can totally grasp your P.O.V. cuz I'd have done the same and conned him into buying me something just to see if he will and then let
    it go when he agreed! LOL! We women are soo good at that, ain't we!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hei Swathi.

    Tesco is yer only man, as they say in Ireland, of a grocery store which I miss much since we have nothing like it here in Finland!
    I agree with CK: Hallmark Holidays, so tis!!
    Take care and do keep well. Have a grand weekend. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't know what to say...

    but it's me...I don't call my parents to say Happy Mother's day..or Happy Father's day...(don't know is there any Father's day)... It's not a day when they wish me or love or pray for me....and me I am waiting for a day to come to say Happy Mothers Day...while don't even know what good or bad going to happen on that day....for each and every moment are precious and I can't wait for such days...

    It doesn't mean...I don't have a feeling for those who celebrate these days...I respect them all...and respect their feelings...

    The same with this day...Valentine day...Suppose if I am so busy with my office work then...or whatever...

    Whoever is she...she is my Valentine but not for a day...for my whole life...and for each and every day...minute and second...:)

    And yes...Swathy and Anooj...your love, respect and understanding is the most precious gift for eachother... and it has become a love symbol...yes it's true...I don't know about others...but it is...at least for me....

    My best wishes are with both of you...GOD Bless you both...:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vishal: Anooj is not the name of my hubby...he is my y360 friend, who asked me about it!LOL!!!! any way i will take that wish as for me and my hubby....


    Rii: ((HUGS))) of course TESCO is MY man!!!!

    Naina; yea.....u r soo right! we lose excitement, once we are sure of getting it... conning him....yea, i luuurrve it!!! yea...being together, enjoying together and smiling together, is what thats values most!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ginglee's World....16 February 2007 at 05:20

    Happy Valentines Day Swathi.......AZAD

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...