Tuesday 13 February 2007

India vs Indians


For past 2-3 days I was seeing an ad in the Irish TV channels RTE 1and RTE 2. It captured my eye and ears because it was an urge “to hold 24 hr fast for the poor children in INDIA”. And they showed India’s map with TamilNadu and Orissa highlighted. They also showed pictures of poor Indian children.

You can find more about it in here >>>>

http://www.trocairefast.ie/24hr/index.php/site/fast/do_the_fast

Now pls don’t take me in the wrong way. I am only proud and happy to know that Irish people are doing at least that for the poor Indian children. OK now some of you guys will be thinking "once she became an NRI she started praising Ireland/Irish". But honestly the truth lies somewhere in between and I truly FEEL about this.

Did any one see Chandra’s blast? It was about signing an on-line petition against the hell load of red-tape issues that is associated with when an NRI tries to adopt an Indian child. I know very rarely Indians adopt Indian children. In fact in my circle of friends and relatives, I know only 3 families who did that, and who suffers for that, noble deed of them. But that’s not the case with NRIs. (I am excluding Middle East countries, cos those countries won’t allow adoption at all! Correct me, if I am wrong).

NRIs from US and Europe are in a better position to adopt children from India. Financially and socially there isn’t any taboo in those countries against adoption. This is said, cos I have personally witnessed mocking of an adopted child in a family, who lived next door to mine in India.

The present social service schemes in India cannot cover for the huge Indian population, especially the needy children who are left homeless. I don’t blame our government for that cos its so huge!!!

But my question is when an NRI tries to help his home-country in his own way, why crush their spirits with the bureaucracy. I am NOT telling about US/European citizens of Indian origin. I am telling about those NRIs who still have Indian passports/citizenship, but working abroad. Why they are NOT treated as Indians?

I took adoption as an eg: cos that’s where I found the discrimination. I am not an NRI investor, so I don’t know about that. There may be more areas where NRIs face this.

The procedure for an NRI to adopt an Indian child is SAME as when a foreigner (non-Indian citizen) trying to adopt the same. Can you believe that? I didn’t believe that when I found that out! I really couldn’t. An NRI’s Indian Passport seemed to have zero value!!! Ie even with Indian passports I will be considered as Irish, only!!!

(Damn, then why should I say , proud to be Indian?)

This is the 8 step long procedure for that process: http://www.adoptionindia.nic.in/carahome.html

Do you know how many years of prospective parents and children are lost in this long red tape tangle? And above all it is happening to Indians with Indian passports!!! If Indians cannot adopt Indian children, who else will!!!!

Its OK if we cant give home to all home-less children in India. But why try to cut those hands that are willing to help? There are numerous illegal child-trafficking going inside India. And those who want to adopt legally and kept under the doubt of child trafficking. Come on, they have Indian passports, and using that, any kind of back ground information on them is available. Why ? WHY this discrimination to NRIs???

This blog, I wrote for Chandra’s friend who is residing in US (with Indian passport)

She writes:

We have been in the process of adopting our daughter (who
> > will turn 2 years old next month) since 2005 (over 18 months now).
> > We
> > waited a full year for a referral and have been waiting 5 months
> > after accepting the referral for a No-Objection Certificate from
> > CARA (a govt agency in India) because the license of our agency in
> > India expired in November and it is still in the process of being
> > renewed.
> >
> > Please support this petition at http://www.Petition Online.com/
> > RIPANOC/petition .html and forward to your friends.
> >
> > No child should have to live in an institution for a minute longer
> > than is absolutely necessary. And no parents should have to go
> > through the agony that we have lived through in the last few
>months.

If anyone who read this, truly understood my feelings for her as well for any NRI adoptive parents pls sign this online petition. Your contribution may make a difference in a child’s life. Please…

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/RIPANOC/petition.html



Note: Some friends asked me if I wrote this cos I don't have kids(ref: prev blog!). I can answer that certain things touch our mind,very strongly that you feel a shock. But it shouldn't touch everyone like that . Its not my fault nor theirs. Thats how the world works!

note: NRI- Non Residential Indian

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm..Red tape in everything!! I hd seen Chandra's blast and have signed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swathi,

    It is a topic of great debate.Treatment of Indian Government towards NRI's in USA and elswhere!!!The child adoption is tip of the iceberg. Being in the Gulf, I could very well understand your feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ture the red tapism in India is pretty frustrating... More than that a lot of rules and regulations are outdated in this regard... They need to be more flexibple, bring in transperency and should realize that a well-intended adoption is a noble thing... and it is going to benefit both the parties. If only they realize how traumatic, delay can be in this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree to Maddy... the treatment of Indian Government to an NRI is really pathetic... be it adoption, starting a business or for that matter even doing social service.....

    well the problem of an NRI doesnt end there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog. I don't think many of us here know abt these things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hei Swathi.

    Such a strong blog - excellent! Great that you are highlighting this thing, and also the 'what-to-do' about it. Like the links, too. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I signed too! My prayers for the parents and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thtz a nice blog.. i really appreciate wot u feeling right now:)
    n i guess da NRI's hav entire rights in doin wot ever they want to da nation.. i agfree with u.. let it b their own way of doing it:)

    i hope few rules are memded n made flexible.. soo tht everyhting is done in gud spirits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. deyyam: (yea, i will call you that!) thanks alot!

    babs: thanks you soo much

    Rii: Thanks to you...(HUGS)

    VJ: yes, VJ even I didnt know about all these, till I went deeper and deeper into it. It was shcoking for me!

    Anooj: YES, u r right! I never understood, until I faced! I realise that there are more areas where NRIs are discriminated... i think this is worse than discrimination on caste!

    Sab: yes dear, when there are alot of parents and children are kept apart just cos of red tape...!!!! Give value to chose children!!!

    Maddy: I know child adoption is a tip of ice-berg and I wasnt even aware of this tip!!!!!! I never knew it till I went thru it! now i know , how those Indians in Gulf, feel!!!

    Shail; I knew u must have signed it...:-) and thanks for FTC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Swathi for sharing my agony.

    Words are not enough for me to console the
    desperately waiting mother !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Needless red tape, I fight that always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Swathi that’s really great Blog for NRI Parents who want to adopt child from India…and yes me too had seen same problem facing over here in Canada if NRI wants to adopt child from India, Also i had noticed something else too…like if any family person want to adopt children from their family…for eg. Like brother son or sister’s daughter then law applies something different way…..

    My prayers are with those needy children….me to I am going to signing up for it…

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a heavy child trading taking place unofficially by Children Home's workers. Some people are have bad names for it as shown by TV channels.

    But if you are interested in helping to adopt a child to someone I have a contact with honest organisation working for it for many years in Mumbai.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrudula, thanks for ur comment on adoption. I will keep that in mind, and if ever some one needs that I will contact you. That blog was to help Chandra's friend Padma. She is already on the process.
    -swathi

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...