Monday 19 February 2007

Blood Diamond-the review


After my disastrous experience with Hostel, I was literally keeping myself away from seeing films without going thru reviews. I was planning to see The Number 23 which is going to be released on 23, February, because I liked those ‘intriguing’ kind of things. So last Saturday when my husband suggested seeing a film, I was hesitating.

But it was already 8 pm, and there wasn’t any my-type-kiddie films showing, as that time. The nearest schedule was for Blood Diamond, and even its name gave me a kind of eerie feeling. But we didn’t have much choice and just asked the lady in the counter, which one she suggested. She told us, that Blood Diamond is said to be good, though she hasn’t seen it. And I was ready to go out, if this one is going to be gruesome.

The only time I loved Leonardo DiCaprio was in Titanic. I thought he was handsome, that’s all. I never knew he could do such a wonderful job, in acting. This movie touched my mind and soul. It was one of those “true movies” kinds. May be that’s the reason, to think that it wasn’t pure fiction, always give me goose bumps.

Based on the background of Sierra Leone Civil War,(I didn’t even know that there was an African country called Sierra Leone !) and the illegal diamonds mined from there, it was just a realization on how bloody and gruesome, the story behind those glittering diamonds can be. How those rocks from the depth of African mines, reached the ring finger of rich women, especially in US and Europe, where the strength of a relationship is weighed by the carat of engagement or wedding ring. And where a relationship can be simply torn out by throwing the ring out of your finger!

Though they say “diamonds are girls’ best friends”, I have never worn a diamond in my life and was never fascinated by them. But this movie, actually made me think. It’s not about just diamonds. It’s about the values, different human beings possess, at different points of their lives. How a single thing can induce different values in different people’s lives for Caprio (money), for Djimon Hounsou (family) and for Jennifer Connelly (sensational news). And once they get together, how their values are changed!

I was touched by the film. There’s a dialogue in which it’s said that the African soil is red because of the blood from the natives who fought against each other for different reasons, including diamonds. It’s just not any usual movie that seems to commercialize African poverty. It just says how the natural resources from a country are being exploited by other nations, while the natives are made to fight with each other for nothing.

Though it ended with the death of Caprio (yea in Titanic, too), this movie was there in my mind, even after the 1.5 hrs inside the theatre.

One movie in which I didn’t close my eyes out of fear and my husband didn’t close his eyes out of boredom. And that itself makes this one, different.

Blood Diamond

14 comments:

  1. FTC..... pooi..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm... sounds good.... when is it releasing in UAE???

    ::checking the schedules of grand cinemas::

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow sounds awesome! I wanna watch it too (though am not a movie watcher) I luv leo :-D hehe handsome guy ;-) hey anooj lemme also know where and when it is releasing in UAE!!! Thanks swat for the info. :-) (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah me too heard tht da movie is gud.. but me cudn't get to watch it:((

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds great...so i can go for it without glitches now..thanks...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any girl who has a heart will think twice before adding one more diamond to her collection !...

    Your bro !

    ReplyDelete
  7. did u see it manu?
    i was soo overwhelmed that after the movie, i really couldn't get myself out, for some minutes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hei Swathi.

    Great review of the movie without giving away of the plot too much.
    I am very interested to see this film on your recommendations, for sure.
    Take care and keep well over there in the Emerald Isle. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to wait for it to come out on DVD... I like the way Leo Caprio has transformed himself, from an awkward boy in Titanic to a handsome man here....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Azads Another blog..Now Closed..20 February 2007 at 07:38

    After watching the film...I will give my comment......

    ReplyDelete
  11. FTC..( Athaayathu adyam kandu..)
    Will read later..ennano? Aavo..Now signing off..Will comment after reading..thorougly..Actually..I dont like Caprio..He is a small kid..Lets talk about Arnie..or Bond...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will have to see this !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As you said...it's not only fictions there was truth in the movie...and it's not only in Africa...the same thing happens in this world now too...Natural Resources...like the coal mines in Bihar or Jharkhand...it's an example only...

    It tells the taste of movie you like...:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah saw it ..Loved it !..

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...