Friday 13 October 2006

A complete Duh-uh! moment

Recently there was a blog by Sab, about the “duh”s u make. And I was thinking so hard to recollect my latest “duh”. And did I find it, no? As though I never make one? Seriously, do you think so? I have almost got 3 Phd's in making duh’s and  forgetting them at the same instant.



2 days back, we had a quarrel. [ahhh…nothing new..it happens every 60th second!]. the reason: I have asked him a zillion times to put used clothes in laundry basket. But will he ever? Noooo…. First I told, then I  requested, then begged, then scolded, then shouted, then screamed… [each way per day !]. Finally I QUARELLED and decided that I was going to i-am-not-talking-to-him-anymore phase. [usually it wont last more than some minutes, but this time, I thot I am going to make it last….for hmm…days?? Did i? ok, now that was my first ‘duh’ thot!]



Ok..so it started… I pulled my best frown face[usually i dont have to try hard!] and avoided eye contact with him in all possible ways.



Now theres a little bit history about my exceptional ability in using small instruments:

I have this huge inability to use handy things like wine-opener, can-opener, etc. in fact I can NEVER EVER use it properly. Whenever I tried, with tuna cans, either I cut my hand or spill all the tuna chunks on the floor.  And wine opener, I haven’t even dared to use it! Even its appearance scares me. Now what’s this behaviour called? Opener-o-phobia???Image



Now coming back to present,  I found this unopened French wine bottle in fridge and wanted to have it. Now what? It has got this massive cork sitting on top of it. And I have a wine-opener(?) with me. Ok.. I am not going to ask him. I am not going to be dependent on him for every silly thing.Great me! See, I have my pride. After all I am not that dumb! OK, I haven’t used it. So what? Its no big deal! There is a first time for everything. What if tomorrow I may become the wine opener expert?



When thots reached this level, I took the opener and tried to poke it into the cork. Ok…now push hard into it. Its not going in. No..its not the right way. Or is it? ImageWhy is it twisted at the end? I gained all my strength and pushed the twisted end  into the cork.  When I thot it was done, I  pulled the two ends of the opener up and …………..

What did I see????


1)       The cork is still on top of the bottle.

2)       But the twisted metallic end of the opener is there pierced into the cork.(!!! how did that happen?)Image




3) And the opener which lost its important part is on my hands!!! Image
4) And there was myself looking at the bottle+cork+metallic end and my opener alternately!



 
But I have my pride left with me. I am still in my no-talking-to-him phase. I put the cork-bottle-openerpart in the fridge. Let it be there. I cant have wine. So what? . I still have my pride, which is so important.Image



I went to bed. [still not talking to him!]Image



Yesterday, evening when I opened the fridge, the wine bottle was still sitting with its cork-opener hat. And I just tried pulling the cork. It came off… and that was my  famous “duh” moment.



..and the story :

He saw this wine bottle with opener hat in the fridge and removed the cork[just the cork, didn’t remove the opener from cork!Image]. Then he placed it neatly back , so that now I can open the bottle, but the opener end  is still on top of the cork!!!!Image

I couldn’t restrain any longer. I went and asked him[now, pls forget my pride] “how the hell did you take this out and replaced it back?” And to my utter dismay, he bursted into laughing. “I should give u an award for screwing that opener end into the cork. [screwing?Image]Usually ppl do the other way. Tell me, did u use opener to remove cork or cork to remove opener? Seriously, what did you do?”

And me???

Tell me which is more duh?

Doing it?

Or some body[whom u have quarrelled with] finding it out, and keeping mum till YOU go to him?


Or still being mocked at for that?

15 comments:

  1. Hahahaha..Swathi enjoyed every part pf your adventure!! Too good!! *** sseing all of it in my mind's eye*** lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... come on... You have to admit that was sweet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww! BEST FIGHT EVAR! and oh yah BEST DUH MOMENT EVAR~! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. "There is a first time for everything. What if tomorrow I may become the wine opener expert?" I really loved d + spirit in dese lines... btw nice duh :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha..ente chiri kettu ente colleagues um vannu..they r reading this now..:)))..
    enjoyed every bit of this..i cant stop laughing..:))
    just visualising ur facial expressions...:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFLOL!! You're amazing beyond words! And you go to Jodi's page and say you've never met a person more crazier than me, eh? :-?

    BTW, Priya Swathi'ye naanam keduththi - in the entire office! kollaaam mone dinesha, kalakki! :-D

    Still laughing @ 'Tell me, did u use opener to remove cork or cork to remove opener? Seriously, what did you do?'

    ReplyDelete
  7. :D...
    i m yet to hav those i guess;) :p
    lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HaHaHa..using cork to remove the opener!!! Thats called innovation!!! an new way to look at opening technology!! not a duh moment at all..atleast dont admit it so...!!! :D

    Good one Swathi.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha...what a sight it would have been when he found out...that was a great 'duh' moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROTFL. Oh that's fantastic.
    Your husband is a very shrewd man, but it is obvious that he loves you enough that he wanted you to have that wine. What a wonderful man. I'm sure I would like him. heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pottetoo.... saramilla....

    Pandu aaro ennodu paranja oru Kariyam njan ivide veendum parayame....

    Bade Bade Desho mein aisi choti choti baatein... hoti rehti hai...

    *halo over the head*

    ReplyDelete
  12. swathy feel so funny about ur hr8 adventures . hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have to say something different here..picking on something you wrote:)

    once.... back from office, i was sitting on the bed and removed my clothes threw that in the laundry basket, but left the socks lying on the floor
    so my wife asks me.. "ck how do you think the socks will go into the laundry ?"

    i with all my acting prowess...say "i dont know.. you know what.. i have always thought of.... every time i leave my socks around... somehow magically it goes into the laundry basket.... i am hoping to catch the fairy or kutti-chathan one day"

    i have a feeling... he thinks like me ;)
    he too is probably trying to catch this elusive 'apsara' in action ..:D ha ha ha

    aiyo.. vitto da mone...there's that look.. ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sound like someone I see everyday. In the mirror!! That's me.. I am the goofiest, silliest person around, with butter fingers.... Loved your cork incident's story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YEah this was real duh one...
    and Now I've to think on the silliest to talk about..

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...