Wednesday 18 October 2006

Book Club!



In our office we have this book and gift club, where we get books (cookery, fiction, baby books, history, DIY, yoga etc) and gifts (photo frames, lamps, soft toys, albums etc) at a very low rate (for us, of course!). Usually they put together some books of the same author and sell them as a bulk, at a much reduced rate.[no..not used books..they are brand newImage!] When I came here 7 mths back, I wanted to buy the latest Harry Potter.[ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Book 6)] .At EASONs it was on display and the price….15€. ofcourse it was hard back, but still 15€ was too much! Any way my husband bought it for me. But after that I never wished for a book to be boughtImage. Instead I joined the library (7€/yr). But later I couldn’t get time to visit library so often.Image

 


So when I noticed this book club [it was already there…but I was a little bit late to find it out…], I found that the price was very cheap..I mean u can get 3-4 books[of the same author] for 7-8€Image. Compared to EASONs that was the best deal ever.


 


Last week I bought these 3 books by Tina O Reilly . One book in shops costs almost 6-7€. But I got 3 books, for 8 €!!!  And wasn’t I so happy? And this week what did I get?


 


4 Dan Brown books [Angels and Demons, Da vinci code, Deception point, Digital fortress] for just 8€!!!!!Image


Ok, now don’t ask me about what I think about Dan Brown books. Anyway both the movie and book was NOT banned in Ireland, which has 95% Roman Catholics. But I think it was banned in India[am I correct?Image]. I am yet to read them. Any way I am not prejudiced against his books. So with a clear mind, I am going to read them.Image


 


Oh! and one more thing. I bought a small but complete atlas, too [6€ ]. All the atlases I have, were published before Gorbachev’s  perestroika.[I was in school at that time..and after school I never referred atlases. So in GK I am almost 15 years behind!! Image] So I needed a latest one, very badly. Another thing is that almost daily, me and hubby quarrels on the facts based on different countries [even on flags!], usually during news time on TVImage. So I need something handy to prove my stand. [Internet is banned at home!Image]


 


Note: that photo’s the latest from book club! Long live our book club!


 


PS: while I was checking India in that Atlas, I found that the whole top portion in India’s map[Kashmir portion] that I used to study in school is missing now. It says administered by China/Pakistan , claimed by India…. Indian maps [made in India] used to be different!!


 


PSS: technically this seems to be my 150th blog.. But really I didn’t want to post the last 3 blogs. So this will be my 147th. Sorry FriendlyFriend!Image


 


17 comments:

  1. wow i guess anki is getting jealous of the book club u r speaking of.. recently i picked up digital fortess.. yet to complete it thanks to my busy office schedule its lagging behind... and got to hold my hands on the deception point.. i used to read a lot before but now most of the time i cant think of anything else beyond work :(( gosh

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..lucky you :)
    hey I hve read Da vinvi code and deception point... my suggestion, keep Da vinci code for the last... it is the best of the lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Da vinci code film banned in India. But I think they released the film with court orders and they showed it to Andhra Pradesh Cheif Minister also who is incidentally Christian. I think the film got released in Andhra Pradesh.

    2. Kashmir belongs to India only. The foreigners may wish or may not wish, it belongs to India. Too woo Pakisthan, some countries are showing in different way thats all. This is my feeling.

    Thanks for sharing swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy reading...you are lucky :)
    Congrats on your 150th blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. technically or non technically! congratulations on your 150th BLOG! And pat yourself on your back for immersing your nose into books! Good habit! Keep it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 150th blog... WOW! Now that's something inspiring for me. :-)

    Hope you visit so many places which you figure out in your new atlas. Bon voyage!!!

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow thts really an deal to buy books swathi ...

    neways start wid angels n demons den go to davinci code as robert langdon was first introduced in the a&d .... den digital fortress not tht gud ....

    ohh is it true tht those ppl have scrapped our kashmir? some publishers r doing it for long time n our country is fighting for it too wid de publishers but sad nothing culd b done out of our country.....

    n yea i still envy on tht book club.lol..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here, they have book clubs too.... infact very common in kids' schools etc.I love them, as long as I am not forced to buy what I don't want!
    My house always have an atlas... I love looking at it. Infact I realized that the map of India that we see in India isn't the same as that we see published outside India... I guess PoK (the disputed territory) comes across differently depending whose atlas we are looking at!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The movie Da Vinci code was released in Kerala too.... but the book is way better than the movie. Read and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...u r lucky to have so many Books......

    Well sad to read abt Indian Map...i have to check that...

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of Dan Brown's works are worth reading, if you like symbolisms, intrigue and relegious powerplays...Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow.U r lucky to get books in a cheaper rate..
    All those books by Dan Brown are good..I liked angels and demons and Da vinci code more..A&D is the prequel to Davinci code..
    Digital fortress is also a good one..
    So happy reading..Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. about the Map of India, lets analyse what the Indian Govt. Is doing in this regard. The pathetic government of India virtually ruled by a non India is still keen on maintaining article 370 in Kashmir, and allow bastards like Farooq Abdulla to mouth things like if the F*^%ing terrorist is sentenced to death by hanging, it will hurt communal sentiments of Muslims and will give rise to communal violence. India need to go through a civil war, not just a communal riot, and destroy all the pigs that support pakisthan and the terrorists. even it be a neuclear war.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow thats a good deal u have got..!!But here in London i rely on my public library which allows me 2 rent around 10 books at a time...But i always thought books make a good collectible.U can always pass it on to posterity and that ways will never diminish in its value...and sorry for the illegitimate intrusion into ur page but ur welcome 2 trespass into my space as well:)Happy Diwali!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Book Club and me late to it... :(( Okie so I have books worth good five shelves and I have all of them packed as of now... :(( Yep! Moved back to my parents, hence no space as of now.. the books have been in the boxes for almost 10 months now.. Atlas a must for me too.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  16. ah! would love to take a look some day:)
    my dad would be more than happy to add some more to his collection. if its this low, he might just do it

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey... that one is damn cool... once i bought this lord of teh rings series and you know how i am repenting for it! But i think this Dan Brown 4 books are worth it. I have seen the 4pack one in my regular bookstore too. Let me know if it is really worth it to buy it. I already have the Da vinci code which i bought separately.

    Love,
    Aswathy

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...