Monday 11 June 2007

Old ailments, New measures-1


It has been a very long time since I wrote something. No I am NOT down with work. I am (was) down with something else. My migraine returned with a vengeance once it felt sure that my slipped disc was better. Now should I be thankful that they attack me only in a mutually exclusive way? I wonder if they have an understanding between each other. Any way finally my husband asked “Do you have any special gene in your body that particularly attracts diseases, one after another?” The migraine attack had gone too bad that I had to end up in ER due to non-stop vomiting. Now THAT needed four injections a day, not to mention seventy euros of medicines.

But things didn’t end there. After that horrible migraine session, I didn’t know that another disease/condition was on its way to me – nothing but insomnia. I stopped sleeping. I would lie with wide-open eyes till 5 am in the morning. First I tried to sleep. Then I stopped even trying. [Now there is some history here. I am a nocturnal being by birth. My dad used to call me “fox” because he used to say that I “hunt” at night. Physically and mentally I will be more alert at night and very groggy at day. May be, that explains why I forget what I was talking in the middle of a sentence, which is very common now a days!!].

Anyway my husband didn’t label me as “fox” and leave me on my own with my nocturnal hunting-habit. He had a wonderful (!) idea of trying alternate medicine, so that I wont be drugged to sleep. And he chose “acupressure”. Yes, that’s right, the Chinese type of acupuncturing with needles on certain nerve endings. Now, honestly I want to believe that his intention was good, and that he didn’t think about taking revenge on me for my non-stop talking and that he didn’t remember the age-old issues I have with any kind of needles on my body.

My migraine is 15 yrs old and runs in my family. Every female in my mom’s side has it, and we all suffer from identical symptoms with my aunt and myself competing for the top. My mom and my cousin (aunt’s daughter) come second. We all tried Allopathic, Ayurvedic and Homeopathic medicines. And I am sure if we had authentic Chinese therapists in India, we would have done that too.

So, when my husband suggested Chinese medicine, I was ready- anything to get a good night’s sleep because I was really developing problems tracking the thread of my conversation. Now, last week I cancelled two appointments. Finally it was decided that this weekend we (in fact I) would try acupressure no matter what happens.

And thus the much-expected day came, when we went to the Dr & Herbs clinic.

I will tell my experience, there in next blog…

17 comments:

  1. Just when i asked !...:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really need lot of patience with all the problems and the cure. Hope accupressure works perfect for u...
    aah, it must be painful to go thru all these ....

    please take lot of care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. take care... n get well soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have everything to face these challenges. Dont worry... take care...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take good care f urself.and i hope u gets well very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. nail biting suspense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope this works... get well soon....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the 'Club Migraine'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sincerely wish this will finally solve the problem. Be well very soon. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  10. Acupressure hurts...right??? Yea..I think..coz anything with needles cannot be good..hmmm..curious to read the next blog..I seriuously hope it din hurt you tht badly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH God....Hope this chinese things works!! As for sleepless nights, I sometimes face that......and thats pathetic..Not on a regular basis though. Do let us know abt the progress of your treatment...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read one book in accupressure. actually the book mentions about treatment using magnets. giving pressure at certain points in the hands. And it also mentions about some 'mudras". i have tried out one - for concentration . i feel like getting positive results
    just try . i think it will work
    wishing u a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get well soon ,Swathi!
    Sending ((Hugs)) & prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hei Swathi.

    Oooh, terrible, horrid thing to have!!
    I have only had it once or twice in me lifetime but my daughter, Becki, suffers very badly of it.
    Keep safe and better if not well, know what I mean like.
    HUGZ from Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. hop eu will get wel soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. okay, I am here and reading this whole series now

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...