Tuesday 5 June 2007

A 27 yr old Fantasy!


My dad had lots of friends who were working in Dubai. Also my sister’s (cousin) dad was in Dubai,too. So we had one of those silver colored Sony stereo cassette player that blinked light green lights according to the beats of the songs (in the cassette) playing. I was just 3 yrs old when I would look at that blinking beats for hours without anything to eat or drink. The year was 1980, and it was the boom of Disco. Apart from Boney M and ABBA, the one song that made the blinking lights go wild (and me too!) with beats was this song…
Disco Deewane – Nazia Hassan.



Even at the young age of 3 , I could evaluate the beauty of the woman pictured in the cover of that cassette (see the pic above?).
Wow! How much I loved to look like her when I grew up. I loved her everything. I loved the way she held the mike. I loved the way the light made her brown hair go red (I still have fascination for red hair, though I see lots here in Ireland-original and colored!). I even loved her khaki dungarees and the way she held her hair in a lose braid, with a slight tilt. I badly, badly wanted to be her.

Of course my 1.5 yr old cousin didn’t share my fantasy to become Nazia Hassan. So I was left alone in my fantasy world of me singing with the blinking lights, when I grow up. (It was one of the many fantasies I am thankful, that never came true!). I think I shared the awe till I went to proper school when I was six, and found my self bombarded with more things much intriguing than Nazia Hassan.

But as childhood thingies never fade off completely, now when I am nearly 30, I had this déjà vu, of Nazia Hassan, which made me google her name last Friday. I was shocked to find that she passed away in 2000, at 35 yrs of age, still angelically beautiful! I got some of her songs from Pakistani music sites.



I almost cried when I came to know that she passed away in 2000. And now my ipod and computer plays only Nazia Hassan songs(at least, till I get over that!). Another tribute to my 27 yrs old fantasy!

22 comments:

  1. I know only the song 'Disco Deewane'...As for her looks..indeed she is beautiful, gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long live the memories of Nazia Hassan. Only the other day I had blasted a link to her song "Boom Boom".
    Yes I love Abba and BoneyM too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. everlasting beauty....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh.. Nazia. Long time since I hear her mentioned.

    Biddu Appiah launched her career. He was my neighbour! every morning on the way to school I used to pass Biddu's house and see him sitting on his divan and playing on his guitar.. His mom used to complain to my mom about his guitar playing and neglect of studies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hei Swathi.

    I went all over the 'place' through the links to read about this remarkable singer
    - unknown to me until now.
    Take care and do keep well.
    Rii xx HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Swathi!! I am convinced we two are the same person!! As a kid I was fascinated by Nazia Hasan so much (i must be about 7-8) and we also had that cassette. Funnily, more than me, my dad was a big fan of her songs, LOL!
    I even had her not-s-successful albums with her brother Zoheb... that 'dosti' song... I can still hum it... Gawd it has been too many years and yet I remember everything.
    Till date I love her songs and I am so sad about her untimely demise :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. swathi... u wanted to be a pop singer??? then what happened to the singing part????

    Disco Dewanee... i like that song.... but about the artist... i know her because of this blog...

    u r right.... she oru sundari aanu ketto...

    ReplyDelete
  8. manish is a big fan of Disco Deewane team... he has all the songs too...

    the song is sung brilliantly... and I like her husky voice a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Swathi, i still have a similar tape recorder...I never heard that song..Will listen to it when i have speakers..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember the Nazia phase too although I was much older than you then & yes I did know she had passed away.
    I loved her songs too esp Disco Deewane & Boom Boom which were very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. same pinchhhhhhhhhhhhhh swathiiiiiiiiiiiii:D
    i too luv her man.. GOSH she sings soooooo well.. i always dance to her songs... actually nazia hassan bug bit me wen ma dad(he too is a biiiiiiiiig gan of hers) played her songs wen i was abt 56 or 7 yrs old.. n frm then on i juss luved her... i hav her casettes too well n thnq sooooooooo much for da link i will download da songs now:D

    aap jaisa koi mere zindagi mein aaye to baat ban jaayeee.. hah aahaha.. baat banjaaye..
    thnq soo much swathi.. once again:D

    ReplyDelete
  12. even I've trying singing her many songs and that too in her style... she has that impact...

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooooooooooooops... wrong song... i was too excited n typed da wrong song:D

    well no worries!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will have to go to some of the sites and see if i can hear this artis. Being from here in the states she is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In 1980 I was a handsome (questionable hehehe) young man of 22 years of age and you were 3. Now we are friends, Nazia Hasan was my heart throb too, but for a different reason. Sad that she went so fast. That song was a whopping hit of the times. Wonder what happened? We usually forget our past heroes but you remembered thats so nice of you. Thanks for sharing I will hit up your links and go back down memory lane Cheers Swathi. Love Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Swathi,
    actually it's not this blog that made me write,but the photographs u have posted. the photos are soooooooooooooo beautiful.especially the "Vishukkani" photos
    this is the first time iam reading ur blogs.
    your blogs are something different and interesting.(ihvnt read all those, just gone thru 1 or 2 coz i didnt get enough time)
    u are sooooooo cute
    keep bloging . all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. well may be i will try to listen to her songs later, since the link i am not able to get..

    ReplyDelete
  18. aaaah.... Nazia Hassan... the woman whose voice had magic in it!!.... aap jaisa koi.... WOH... the lady rocked!...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nazia... the very name brings her melodious voice to memory...! In one of Disconnected Dreams' series, I'd put the video of the "Dum Dum Dee Dee Dum Dum"..!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  20. disco deewane is an excellent song, but i have not heard any more of her. thanks for her link io'll check them out later

    ReplyDelete
  21. I lovvved Nazia Hasan and still love all her songs. When I got introduced to the net, her songs were one of the first I searched for. I have got most of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty deeep one i suppose !...hmmm ..Swats !...Hope you are better ! :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...