Monday 22 January 2007

The storm that struck us....


Being an Indian, especially being a Keralite, I was never used to storms or gales for that matter. So last week, when I was kept awake at nights due to the shrieks and shrills of the heavy storm, the first thing that came to my mind was the tornados in US. I could feel our house vibrating, in the wind with its shrill noise, almost deafening me. [Houses here are not made up of bricks and concrete as in India. They use plaster of paris, for walls and stuff with thermocol like stuff in between them for heating insulation !!!] I could feel strong cold wind forcing thru the key hole, with the whistling sound. I saw the sky dish antenna that was mounted on a house top across us, coming down. I also saw the basketball pole, crashing down with a thud. And for the first time, I wanted to think about the reason why sky-scrapers are not allowed in Ireland. The highest building I have seen here was just 5 stories high.

Next day, I came to know about the worst storm that was going to hit northern Europe.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=207748972&p=zx7749678

My husband was working late and I called him and told to remain there, till the storm subsided . Even after 11 pm, he was stuck there. He tried going to the parking lot, but told me later that he couldn’t get his balance, to walk over there, because of the storm trying to sweep him off his feet. And finally when he tried to get home, with his manager, his (manager’s) car broke down.

Later we came to know that a lot of people were killed in UK, because of the storm. And next day, my mom called me and enquired, as Indian news channels were breaking that news. By Gods grace, Ireland escaped the worst, while part of Britain and other N.European countries were not so lucky. Luckily we didn’t suffer power cut.. Because without power, our heating system would have crashed and at temperature much below 0 deg Celsius, we would have frozen to death.

Ironically, I was seeing the film ‘Tornado Warning’ in TV at that time…

18 comments:

  1. sounds scary..
    do take care ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.. seems fun from outsie, but scary if u happend to be caught inside the strom.. take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reminder of that 'intuitive' connect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...an alarming situation....take care swats...

    ReplyDelete
  5. swati: it sure was scary...(even now, the warning exists)

    anoop: fun??? that was the last word that would come to my mind... nature when changes its appearance from an elegant lady to a mad witch, u seem to lose trust in what u see!!

    sankaran: aahh....now u ARE scaring me!!!!

    priya: yep..sure it IS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was really scary....i was sitting inside my appartment(3rd fllor) and i could hear the angern of the wond, n my appartment was shaking....:(...and i belive the storm was not as heavy here in germany as in UK.thank god nothing happend, n u r safe.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry about my typos...floor, anger, wind..

    ReplyDelete
  8. lishma: (((HUGS))))) yea..u r right...i think UK suffered most!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its really scary...Take Care Swathi...

    Weather at our place is also no good today.....becoz of snow...

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are hit with high winds some here but today it's snow!! Happy you are OK!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank god u (and ofcourse ur husband, too) r okay!!! .. take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy that ure safe! I understand how u wld hav felt bein alone at home durin dat situation!! Do take care and stay safe sweetie (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to know you & hubby r fine.I've been reading all of your posts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anu----yea, i think at this time of month its the time for snowstorms and gales.. isnt it?

    SHAIL, MISSY---oh....missy/shail ...how i miss ur blogs...((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) they were my daily dose of "smiles"....i will be coming soon, when those guys set up broad band for us...dear, as we are some miles away from town and as theres a 'hill' separating us from their tower, only one provider provides broad band here... and they are veeeeeeeeeery slow....we have paid them.. still they say they take 15-21 days.... oohhhh.....


    raaji---- sure, we will thanks!

    cutiee----((((hugs))))))) thanks dear..

    raju---WOW! thats a surprise! thank you for commenting and reading my blogs...i never knew! thanks a million

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hei Swathi.

    Yup, know these kind of storms only too well after living over there in Ireland for 23 years! Once or twice the wind has swept me Mary Poppins-like in the air and this without the umbrella, mind you!! Horrible and one is so totally helpless when it does happen. Keep safe and well. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life is full of storms : Inside out.

    Do not let storm make an impact on your mind in negative way. This time it is the nature that should be fight courageously.

    Best wishes....

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...