Monday 29 January 2007

Yes, she did win...but..

This I wrote 2 days before Shilpa Shetty won the “Celebrity Big brother”. I had no idea, she would win, then!!! I am happy that she won, like any other Indian expatriate in UK/Ireland. But....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was Friday. It’s usually a welcoming day for me, mainly because I can sleep till 10:30 am the next day, which happens only in 2 days a week. But since the “celebrity big brother” started on channel4 with shilpa shetty, this day has one more specialty. Its when the inmates get evicted through public votes, at 8:30 pm.

Now a little history here. I never used to watch this show, till shilpa came into the scene. Mainly because I didn’t know UK celebrities much, to get myself hooked. Instead I watched "friends", "ghost whisperer","desperate housewives" or "scrubs".

First, anxious to know, how an Indian is going to survive in a foreign atmosphere, among foreigners, like every other expatriate, I started watching it. Later, it induced in me a sense of nationalism.

I saw and read news/blogs about the controversy related to shilpa, during that show. So, I will never mention it here. Let the sleeping dogs lie.

But today, I am writing because, I feel hurt, in a kind of way. Would any Indian, have been hurt like me? I don’t know. Today being India’s Republic day, I don’t know why ironically, I was destined to hear it, may be like all the Indians who were watching the show.

Ok, coming to the point, today also shilpa was saved from eviction, by public votes, in spite of her being nominated repeatedly for it, by the inmates. So after Cleo and Jo got evicted, the inmates were chatting, and suddenly shilpa put forward a question. She asked “Is there a lot of Indians in England?” Yea, may be she might have been wondering if not for the Indians’ votes, who were those guardian angels who were constantly saving her from eviction , every week.

And as answer Dirk Benedict (btw he is American) told her “yes, millions, millions, millions…there are millions of them. And they have an average of 3 kids in a family, while the Brits have only one. “ . And he didn’t stop there.

He went a little further and predicted: “ Soon, the Indians population in England would soon increase to such a level that finally a Nehru or a Gandhi will become UK’s prime minister!!!”. He said that with such negative attitude and a bad smirk, in his face , that I felt really bad!

Now, is that my problem, that I felt bad?. I am sure that shilpa must have felt bad too, because it was written all over her face, on hearing that. I felt insulted. But there is another side. I could have laughed at the irony of a comment about “a Nehru or a Gandhi” becoming Britain’s PM, when East India Company/British monarchy, ruled India for more than 200 yrs!!! And that too just 60 yrs back. WOW! Within 60 yrs, if the tables could be turned, to this extent, shouldn’t I be beaming at his prediction!!!

God! And that too, I was destined to hear it on January 26!!!! And Dirk doesn’t seem to have a single clue about what Gandhi/Nehru is to India.

Another fact is that I have never learned to make fun of another nation’s Father. Be it Cuba, US, UK or Pakistan. I was never taught to. Just like I was never taught to make fun of another person‘s father, and that too, in front of him. Mocking a “father of a nation”, to that national, how does it feel???? I feel bad…

I was just wondering “If some one told you, this, about YOUR nation’s Father, what would you feel? How would you react?”

And if this was told to me, I would have taken my time and energy to make the other person realize, the value and importance of Gandhi/Nehru to each Indian, so that he wouldn’t repeat it to any other person, be it Indian or non-Indian.

Note: this has got nothing about the show. This is just an outlet of my emotions. May be I am just over-reacting or may be I am not.

27 comments:

  1. FTC.
    I would react the same way as you .Iwould feel bad too.But maybe when the other party has no idea who he or she is talking about it makes it easier to bear than from someone who has full knowledge.But I would still feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wont say u r over reacting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atleast u are decent in ur words and reactions... hehe i wld hav reacted in a diff way (rowdy kinda) I respect ur emotions. I luv india and indians a lil MORE tho i dont hate other countries or the ppl in it :"> luv ya (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ofcrse most of us would react!

    2% of Britain's population are Indians and that 2% gives the 5% of the total GDP of Britan..So..Indians are not doing that bad there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard about Shilpa Shetty and thus can not comment nuch on the TV-show but what you have stated above bothers and humiliates not only you but the global society. Every educated person knows the Gandhi's contribution to world piece - he was wise enough to stop violence and broke the circle of hatred by his own example and there is no excuse for such humiliating sayings on public as it might cause the international dissention.
    As for economical contribution of the foreigners, indians as well or any other nationality, the country only wins as there is more impact to gross national revenue.It is not over-reaction. I feel the same when they start to talk in Moscow that we should eliminate the migration level in order not to have Chinese or Indian or African districts as it in London or Paris, and let me ask what is wrong with this? Is London or Paris live worse than Moscow or have less crimes? No, they only benefit. You are not alone.We all have to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the same kind of remarks we get here when they "joke" about there being a first black president or even a first woman president... I don't think you're overreacting, but the minds of the ignorant should stay with the ignorant... Try not to let it bother you so much. **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Respect for all is not ingrained in some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I could have laughed at the irony of a comment about “a Nehru or a Gandhi” becoming Britain’s PM, when East India Company/British monarchy, ruled India for more than 200 yrs!!! "

    I loved the fact you could laugh over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would react the same way as you did. I remember a couple of days ago we were all sitting around in the classroom when our professor said, "The diversity in this classroom is incredible. We have an English man seitting right in front of an Indian woman. Years ago this would've been impossible!"

    That comment got me wondering. The situation was definitely incredible and the changes that are coming are also beautiful. I looked at the guy in front of me and said, "Yeah, Fritz! Your peeps ruled my ancestors!"

    Fritz laughed at me and said, "Sorry, kid." I laughed and we moved on. I guess time changes things but the memory still remains of what happened in history. Well, everyone is nationalistic when the time comes and I think you reacted aptly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raju: you are right...he had no idea about what he was talking about..that WAS the truth!!!! and yea, feeling bad is something u cant help it, right?

    lishma: thanks! i really thot may be i was making a mountain out of a mole-hill!

    cutie: its just not abt india, dear..its about any nation ... i just happened to be indian, thats all! loving ur own country, doesnt mean hating others! thats just what i thot!

    VJ: yea....but those are just in papers.... if ppl aso thot like that it would have been a single world!!!

    svetlana: ((hugs))) when we live in our own country, we will never understand what nationalism means. when we live in a world much difft from ours, then only we will try to find, the importance from where we come. Be it any immigrant...we all have the love for home-land, clinging to us, and when anybody mocks at it, it sure does hurt.
    As I wrote, its nothing about the show....but it did provoke.
    And its not about Gandhi-ji alone... it can be George Washington or Sun Yat-sen or Muhammad Ali Jinnah..
    when you are an immigrant, you do face things like this!

    lisa: yea...it sure sounds like that.....i was bothered...but not now...Dirk is too ignorant, in history...thats all I can say!! ((hugs))

    shail: yes...seems like that

    amrita: dont you see.... that was the best ironical joke i could see in that comment!!!!!

    ishrah: i just had UNIX training, and there were 2 italians, 1 chinese , 1 taiwanese, 1 indian and 4 irish there...our instructer himself being an italian, the accents of the whole class were such a mixture!! yea, time changes....we change... may be next generations change...but the history will never change...its good to accept ppl from difft, nationalities and be friendly with them...it teaches us alot...alooot...to be frank i am learning now, much more from life than i learned in past 27 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand your outburst.
    You have a good reason !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chandra: Thanks for ur comment. I value that...especially from an Indian living abroad. Its nothing about the show or shilpa shetty or anything. It was just my hurt, and i just wanted to know, whether I am right in thinking! Especially when I was one of the Indians, who was watching those, live!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swathi u did't over react....I respect ur feeling .... Any Indian could get upset for listening that.....i always want to see that program but i can't as we don't have that channel......well desperate housewives is in my watch list too.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hei Swathi.

    Some are just plain ignoramus at times, some are at all times... Take care and do keep well. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. anu: yea, we get that in 4 channels cos, sky digital that we get here in Ireland, is from UK. ((hugs))))

    Rii: i value ur comment alot,whenever i write about my exp in Ireland..cos u lived in here for 23 yrs....(((((HUGS)))))....

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I was in your place watching it, I would have felt offended as well. And Shail rightly said that 'Respect for all is not ingrained in some'!

    But you know what Swathi, move on... These air heads are just ignorant fools and we shouldn't waste our time or anger over them...

    *hugs*

    Sabiha

    PS I am an avid watcher of Desperate housewives too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did not over react my dear...Only red necks put down other people and other countries....and yes England has a lot of red necks. Respect for all should be understood by all! Chin up gal and ignore red necks for what they are!!(((Hugs))))) from across the water...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You give respect, you get respect..You did not overeact...As for Shilpa and Big Brother I am not a big fan of these celebrity shows. Nevertheless I am happy that she won!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with you that no "Father" should be subject to ridicule...your reaction is justified...
    i would add a line here that ....there are people in this world who tend to say something whcih is not rational and they should be best left as aberrations..a reaction to them would only give dignity to their views..which they don't deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sab: (((hugs))) thanks for understanding me. And yea, i moved on..this was just a vent to my feelings, like going to my friends and telling "he said that, and i am hurt"!!!! and realising that hurt is normal, keeps me feel good!

    PS: Do you watch "The real housewives of Orange county". I dont watch it...but it always reminds me of you, cos of "Orange county"!!! LOL!


    missy: (((((((((hugs)))))))) giggling, at the joke of red heads!!

    rajashree: even i am not a big fan, dear...may be this was the first and last time, i watch this show!!!! an Indian came to the show was my reason to watch it!!!

    chaterpillar: yes, exactly that was my point....its not just about India...it can be about ANY country....or any country's father!!! and yes, u r right..he was 100% ignorant of what he was telling!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This whole racism issue has helped Shilpa to be an international celebrity.

    I wonder if she was an African, the world would have reacted in the same way. Are we Indians too sensitive about what others say about our culture and values!. Is it that we are everywhere on the globe that the reaction was strong and helped Shipla to win at the end!.

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deeps, i think the answer to ur question is in what u wrote: "Is it that we are everywhere on the globe that the reaction was strong and helped Shilpa to win at the end!."..
    Yes, sure that "issue" made shilpa a global celebrity!!!
    And may be yea, Indians (esp expatriates) are sensitive about their homeland (like me!!!)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good she won! Jade is bereft of all her goodies now, stripped and shorn of all her contracts. Shilpa is on the verge of becoming an international celebrity...

    The incident has attracted enough attention internationally, and many of these countries where racism (covertly and overtly) is still prevalent, have become alert to its ramifications.

    We can hope for better sense to prevail for the times to come.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so late here but will like to say that you are not over-reacting at all.. we Indians grow with religious-tolerance within and we know how to respect others.. specially Father of the Nation... we never taunt using their names.... also we think globally as a global citizen... In such case when somebody like Dirk comments something like that.... it definitely hurts...
    I read a lot on SHilpa-related issue... but media omitted the part you've mentioned here... with her winning it finally I've no complain anymore..

    May God bless them some understanding and respect for the world.. !!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was a joke
    It was not intentional, and not meant to hurt.

    but you are right, why do people not think about others sentiments when they make statements. From your words/description of what he said. I took more offense to the '3 kids in the family' statement.
    Now that is racist !!
    The Nehru/Gandhi being a PM thing.. if that is a fear on his side, then let them deal with it.

    I think you must react. We 'desi' in a foreign land, have not come here as slave labour, for us to simply sit and listen to a lot of bullshit.
    We must not over-react. Because anything you or i do, suddenly someone else is taking our reaction and goes about saying that 'all indians are like ...'

    ReplyDelete
  26. Swathi, you have a great approach be the same. There is a native Indian (don't call them red Indians it is an insult to them) says that, A Tree has branches and they never compete against each other, they thrive together and that is how the tree grows. What they imply is, The Earth or the Universe is the tree, we are all branches, if we fight we will perish, we should grow like the branches of a tree. Be the same, you will find great treasures from everyone, not just in yours alone. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dont tell her name again..I dont like...She will do nythin for money..Are the media makin this a sensational festival..
    Hope no other news...fools..

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...