Tuesday 22 August 2006

My Amma!


My mom lost her mom when she was 21. She was the eldest of all three kids. My one and only uncle was in his teens, when my grandma died. She was barely 50 yrs old then. I know about her only through what my mom said about her. And there was only one photo that was left of her. She never looked like my mom. She had kidney failure and was under dialysis for years before she died. In fact she was bed ridden, even while my mom was 12. As she was the eldest, my mom often put herself in my grandma’s shoes. In fact when her mom died, it was she who signed the documents to bring grandma’s dead body to home. She used to tell that to me, always when I was a kid. But I never understood the seriousness of it. I have even told her once that “its no big deal! Anyone can sign the documents for a dead body!” I never bothered to think that it was her own mom’s dead body!


 


As my mom and her sister were unmarried at that time, our relatives and neighbours gossiped that my achachan didn’t want to get his daughters marry off, cos he wanted them to do house-chores! One day my mom heard this with her own ears!


 


Anyway after marriage, my mom preferred to stay with my granddad, cos she again thot that it was her responsibility to look after him, in my grandma’s absence. Though later it proved to be a mistake, she stuck on to it!


 


May be cos  of what she underwent, even when I was a kid she used to drill into me the feeling that she wont be there for me for long and I have to look after myself. She used to teach me, how to live, if she was dead. I was 8 yrs old, when she used to tell me this. I got so scared by this, that everyday when I returned home from school, I half-expected my mom to be dead. I was scared always! My dad used to scold my mom for making me think like this. But she was adamant that I must cope with her absence even at that age. I used to cook and wash clothes when I was 8 yrs old.


 


But the opposite happened, when I grew up. She started caring for me like a baby, when I was 22. May be to compensate for that ever-fearful childhood I had, now she cooks, cleans and even washes and folds my clothes for me. She feeds me with her own hands, when I say that I am not hungry. If I say I want curd, the next instant she goes to the near by shop and buys it for me. She buys all sort of eatables, for me if ever I express my wish for it. Those things never happened when I was a kid. I was treated like a grown-up then, and now I am treated like a baby. Even my dad says it’s ridiculous. But I feel I am having second childhood, with amma, now.

16 comments:

  1. in few years you may become her mother. Take care well atb that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think she acted that way because of what she has been through, I also think she feels now that beacuase you are old enough and she doesn't have to worry about "teaching you how to be grown up" that now she can indulge in all the little pleasures that I'm sure she felt the two of you have missed out on. **Hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been terrible for you to fear losing your mom when you were a small child! >>I used to cook and wash clothes when I was 8 yrs old.<< How many of us have the same story to tell. I remember drawing water from the well, washing clothes and feeding my younger ones.... In our cases I think, the childhood came later in life, like your mom treating you like a baby now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with lisa.. she wanted you to be prepared to act like a grown up, but now you are so she doesn't have to worry about you anymore.. it must have been really bad for you to fear losing your mom as a young kid.. always remember that she wants your best tho.. n now since she knows that you are prepared to take on anything and everything, she's pampering you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-( I'm sorry about your grandma.

    I dont know what else to write right now. :-(

    Enjoy your second childhood! And long live all parents! (I almost wrote long live all mothers, then I thought when I'm gonna say long live, might as well include the poor fathers..hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  6. touched!! a mommy(oops!! i mean a mother) is "something" we always need by our side...well i do.....and happy 2 know tat she been spoiling u after u have passed the age when u can be spoilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As children we grow up surrounded by layers of protection.! Our parents and grand parents.. Its not until we grow up as adults, and having children of our own, we realize the strength of the fortresses we were in. We realize the value of their presence in our lives, in this age, when we strive to impart that protection to the next gen.! Its nice of you to take a moment off to remember them.! No more tears, ok.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can only imagine the fear you must have had at the age of 8!! Glad you are getting your childhood back now. Take care and my best to your mom...

    ReplyDelete
  9. **HUGS** ....cHEeSy aint getting words Swats !...Take care !.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Qoute: "But I feel I am having second childhood, with amma, now."

    Enjoy...!!

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  11. (((HUGS))) from me too, can imagine what you went through, can't blame your mom either, like Lisa pointed out, she was undergoing a trauma herself, and she couldn't help rubbing some of that on you out of fear..take care Swats, :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad that U r treated child-like NOW.... better late than never !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sekhar--yea, u r rite!

    lisa--*hugs* thanks alot!

    Shail---oh! yea, it was terrible..when she was alseep, i used to check her breathing, cos i thot she may be dead! yea... now she treats me like a baby, that its embarassing sometimes!

    ishrah---yea, she pampers me now alot..and i thoroughly enjoy it but some times it can be very embarassing,too!

    Sneha---thats good that u thot abt fathers, too! long live snehakkutti!!

    AJ---thanks! :-)

    Max--no more tears at all, max.. and thanks alot for that wise comment!!

    Sab--*hugs* thanks!

    cheeze---*hug*

    arfana---thanks dear! *hugs*

    jodhi---thanks dearie!

    swati(pink)--yea, u r rite...at least now when i lost my childhood physically, i am treated like a child! isnt it great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a very powerful experience. It's so poignant and reminds me how things that happen in your childhood can affect you for a long long time.
    My ammamma also passed away early, and I was her pet (being the only boy with 3 sisters).
    It's an interesting thing that my own mother has these same experiences having 6 brothers and having to cook, wash clothes and look after the house. The boys of the house had no such responsibilities.

    A lot of food for thought. Thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  15. too late to read....
    touched and can understand why ur mom doing like that....
    i'm missing my amma very much but no choice......
    take care ur amma.....
    and give her all the love in the world...more than u can....

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...