Monday 19 November 2007

This thing and that thing...

Life can be pretty boring, eventful or as it happens to be in my case nowadays- very close to disastrous. I bungee-jump into every new venture with the hope of it becoming exciting, but some how mysteriously ends up with terrible results. I don’t remember exactly when this kind of things started happening, but I can guarantee it used to be very normal before my 30th birthday.

The earliest I can remember started with the new, much hyped shopping centre in our town centre. With over 50 shops (most of them, branded designer ones) in four levels, it was supposed to be the heaven for women shoppers in Midlands. Or so I thought. The first week, I was awe-stricken when I couldn’t move through the shopping centre without pushing (and being pushed by) others. The second week came and things were not so good. I had to wait at each traffic-light for 25 minutes, before I could move an inch to the next one. And this happened for four consecutive lights, when I found myself nearing snapping point. But things had just started to begin. After spending more than one hr waiting at four junctions (25 mts at each), I reached the parking lot that boasted to have 1000 slots. And what do I see? All the 1000 slots are occupied. Not even that, even the spaces reserved for TESCO delivery vans, which are in prohibited area are full with private cars. I can’t even see the footpath because of the cars parked in it whose two wheels are on it and the other two on the road. I was shocked and started sweating profusely. I didn’t know what to do. It is not like in India. You can’t park anywhere you like. I am already driving alone with my provisional license, and if I violate one more rule, my full Irish license will be just a distant dream!

I can’t do anything but go round and round the parking lot, till I get a space. I went to the extreme end of the lot and started hunting for space, only to realise that I am not rude or fast enough to compete with other space-hunters like me. One second I saw the space and the next second I didn’t. After spending another 15 minutes burning another litre of petrol to find a parking space, I thought of the possibility of finding a slot, 2 kms away. I went there parked and then walked 2 kms through the bone-chilling wind. The usual 10-minute drive to town has now turned into a gruelling one-hour pain-staking journey. Thanks to the new shopping centre! They say it is bringing a lot of business to Athlone, but did anyone think about the normal people who are already living in Athlone?
*********************************************************************
According to me, I was/am leading a life over-working, under-nourished and under-privileged. I remembered waking up, dressing, working and nothing else. Gone were the days of reading books. Some days I didn’t even wash my face or brush my hair. I didn’t give it a thought till I saw something different in my friend’s hair. The previous day when I last saw her, her hair was blonde. The next morning, she was a brunette! My first thought was I might be going bonkers with over-working. But then, I went to her, touched her hair and made myself sure that I was not dreaming. No, I was not nuts. She did colour her hair burgundy, had a nice cut and was looking fabulous! I touched my greasy hair and tried to remember the last time, it saw the comb.

Only after confirming the appointment for my hair, the next day did I touch my hair again.
Mary Shine usually has very busy days and usually I may have to wait minimum 1 hour to get my haircut. May be due to the cold grey morning, this Saturday she had only me as the client. I was happy because she took longer time with my hair. For me, that meant perfection, again, so I thought. I am usually cool with haircuts. After all, it is hair and it always grows back. But this time, due to my lucky stars, I am always for a surprise.
After 20 minutes, what do I see? A very unattractive, extremely repelling and freaky version of Demi Moore, in the film ‘Ghost’!. No offence, I have always admired her hair-cut in it. Because of her sharp features, it suited her a lot . But that was Demi and this was me. There are only just a handful of women who can carry a very short haircut with grace. Demi Moore, Princess Diana and Priyanka Gandhi. There may be more, but these are all I know. And everyone had the most elegant facial features – sharp nose, long elegant neck and prominent cheek bones, that make them look so feminine even with the boyish cut. And what do I see in the mirror now!

A blunt piggy nose, stubby neck and no cheeks trying to give company to a “Demi Moor-ish haircut”. And one more thing. A double-chin-in-progress is also smiling back at me.

“How is it?”, Mary Shine seems happy with her work.

“Great” – calm down! Remember? Hair always grows back. Its just hair. She didn’t operate your face or anything! On a positive note, now the hair will look the same whether I run a brush through it or not.

My husband didn’t tell that he was shocked. He took one loooong and silent look at me and thought for a while before telling,
“hmm… the only difference is that now you are handsome, instead of beautiful”.
Huh…What does that mean?
“When we go to India with this look, your parents will be happy that finally they have a son. And now, I am happy that I have a male-friend instead of a wife. Oh, it is so good to live with a man now, for a change!”

So what… I don’t look feminine any more. My husband thinks he is now living with a man. Somehow or other he always ends up addressing me as “he”- which he says is completely unintentional! And my sanity-restoring-mantra is “Its just hair. Hair always grows back”!



16 comments:

  1. Hei Dear Swathi

    With the wording i was expecting worse than what i saw in the pics of you!!
    In other words: not horrid at all and it will grow fast again.
    I would change hairdressers though, the woman does not know how to cut, methinks,at all.

    You have lovely petite features and the hairdresser should be cutting accordingly to enhance the looks,
    and not to take away from you. By the way, how much did the cut cost you?

    HUGZ from Rii :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the Nose seems little bigger, otherwise okay.

    SAI RAM

    ReplyDelete
  3. not tht bad.. but i liked the earlier one betetr :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know what Pal.. ooops Sanjeev means. I vote for the earlier look too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo.. you silly girl of the funny tales.. and I don't mean pony tales either.. that was a hilarious narration from a beautiful face that Demi Moore would count herself lucky to have. I personally think Demi's got a rather 'hard' features - there is a softness - a gentleness to yours I'm sure she would crave. That haircut suits you just fine - Ooooo Men!!! I must admit that longer hair on most women gives them a gentle softness of appearance, but short crops on the other hand make some look 'sharper'! I'd say wear that haircut proud like it is the "you'd better take me seriously or else" and make the most of it until your hair grows back! Then work your softer womanly graces and wiles - either way - get what you girl and play your man! Lol!! Hugs! I must admit the hair cut I sport now is the shortest I have ever dared to go but thats coz I stare down and mentally will any hairdresser who approaches me with a pair of scissors to cut no more than an inch "or else"!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Th benefit of all this- a 100 minute hour! Gives you a longer life amidst all the chaotic traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hm.. so, now u r a handsome hunk ;-) well, jokes apart, it is not terribly bad, and as you say, it is just hair - it will grow back :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL...mistress/master? of disaster...hey you look tres-chic!!!! honest not just saying it, so give your hubby some time to recover and get used to it. BTW I sport a very short hair too....but its been on for so long, people have stopped all nasty jokes about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer you with longer hair... so grow them up girl. What a tale.. I am sure it wasn't as funny as you narrated it to be...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Demi Moore will be proud of you!
    Lols!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ur hubby is funny!! And dear U R LOOKING VERY VERY HANDSOME!!:-P
    n ya stick to ur matra..i guess no choice :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahahahahaha....rotfl....what a hairy experience....
    now now...whoever told you hair grows....my barber fooled me with the same words 20 years and the only thing that has grown in me since then has been my age....
    Should I then address you as Swathi Swathman.
    Now go back to that mall and buy yr hubby a wig with 2 long tresses so that the balance of man/woman in home is retained till you become Swathi from Swathman.

    Excellent, racing and funny narration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, you poor babe!But hey, come to think of it, it might be fun to go on a gender bender for a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's not that short! But I do prefer when there is a strand curling around your face. Like you say, it will soon grow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are just as lovely with shorter hair as you are with longer hair!!
    But I loved your telling of the story........LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh I love it ......both types .......it suits you well.lucky you , you cancarry short and long styles ...for me nothing short .......my chubby cheeks cannot carry it

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...