Tuesday 16 October 2007

Being aquaphobic!


I have a very dangerous habit of assuming lots of things. It had landed me into lots of trouble in the past. But as the Swathi, I am, I never learn. This time, what I assumed, very nearly cost my life, hmm… not exactly but nearly. I could have been dead!

I don’t know swimming. And so, I am scared of even attempting to float in water. As our gym membership also provides pool, Jacuzzi and sauna, I asked my husband once to teach me swimming. And the self-taught swimmer he was, he readily agreed to be my coach. But it turned out that neither did he have the patience to teach me nor did I have the courage to trust him. I didn’t leave my hold on the railing, for even a second, that within 10 minutes of coaxing me; he quit his role as my swimming coach. Finally he swam and I watched him swim, still holding on to the railing. There ended my dream to conquer water, with his help. (I have joined the proper swimming class anyway which starts next month, where I expect to have more patient coaches than my husband!)

My encounter with water didn’t end there. Some weeks back I found a new word (according to my limited vocabulary) in our gym timetable for autumn. It was ‘aqua aerobics’. It didn’t make any sense to me at all. I knew what ‘aqua’ was and what ‘aerobics’ was. But I really couldn’t think of anything that related the two. Then one day my instructor told me to join that class. She described it as doing some ‘light’ aerobics while standing in water. What I failed to understand was how much deep the water would be while doing those exercises and her meaning of the word ‘light aerobics’. I don’t know why, but I assumed that it would be in kids’ pool, where there is water only just above the ankle.

To double-check I asked my dear hubby whether he has seen ‘aqua aerobics’ class. [We can see pool from the gym above]. And he re-assured me that the water will be very much below knee and that I just may have to wear shorts. But he didn’t tell me that he had seen the class. Again, I assumed that he might have seen it. So, when I went to my first ‘aqua aerobics’ class yesterday, I took my swimwear with me in case they were particular about it. I told my instructor again and again that I don’t know swimming and that I may die in water if I tried and she told me that I don’t have to swim to do ‘aqua aerobics’. I trusted her.

To my utter horror, the class was in the big pool and not in the kids’ one. And we were supposed to do ‘aerobics’ in chin-level water! And then it hit me; my husband was lying. He knew it was not going to be in kids’ pool and wanted me to get over my fear of water. Forget ankle deep, in that depth I could be drowned. I was too scared to cross the pool that one lady literally carried me to the place where I could hold on to the railing. She told me that I was very brave to join the class though I was completely scared to move in water. What she didn’t know that my hubby and my instructor tricked me into it. My instructor allowed me to hold on to the edge of the pool while others were in the centre of the pool, when she could see that I was totally terrified.

And then it started. With boom box blasting, she began to do the normal aerobics outside the pool and we had to copy her, but standing in chin-level water. First, I couldn’t move my arms and legs, at all. I needed one arm to hold on to railing desperately and one arm to keep my balance. But with her aerobics combined with the high resistance of water, it was impossible. Now, I couldn’t quit also. Finally after 10 minutes of drinking that yucky pool water while managing to raise my arms and legs, I some how managed to keep my balance without holding on to the edge, for 2 minutes. Again I would lose balance, do the same charade of ‘aerobics’ and drink another gallon of water. Anyway this cycle repeated for one hr and by the time I got out of pool, I had a full bladder and was panting like a dog. And the best was still waiting for me. To add insult to injury or rather like sprinkling salt to my wound; there my colleague was watching me struggle all this time, from the Jacuzzi!

Can any day be BETTER than this?

24 comments:

  1. dont worry.. nanaju irangiyille.. ini kulichu kayariya mathi.. neentham padichu ellareyum kanichu kodukku maashe :-D
    aqua aerobics.. to tell the truthg, i had agood laugh imagining u @ chin deep water doing teh aerobics..

    ReplyDelete
  2. even I fear water, and chin-deep is too deep.
    but hey, like that chinese tea, I hope u adept urself with this and may share your adventure with us someday..

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. //But as the Swathi, I am..// Oh I loved this sentence! You have such a wonderful way of putting things.. I absolutely loved that!

    Poor you. While I can swim (and I'm of the self taught variety though I self taught at age 9, watching other kids swim at boarding school), Aqua aerobics is quite a challenge. The gym I go to has it too and the first one I joined in simply because it coincided with the time I was using the pool and there was no room left for me to do my laps with the keen AA people in there. So I joined in and did my share of pool water drinking (yuck yuck yuck)!! All the time I did it though, what I felt like was a complete duck out of water. I felt completely clumsy and ungraceful - I had visions of water-ballet but felt like Nellie the elephant in a pink tutu! I thought in terms of exercising the muscles, I didn't feel any particular effort was being made.. until 2 days later... and Oh the ache the ache the ache.. which took about 10 days to wear off. I only went back again once. This has inspired me to go once more just coz I like to torture myself once in a while.

    Oh your cruel husband and the instructor in cahoots like that! Terribe terrible terrible! My poor Swathi! Hugs! He is officially herewith told off by me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mina: Mina... u just made e feel normal..i thot i was the only dumb human to try that!
    >>>>>>I had visions of water-ballet but felt like Nellie the elephant in a pink tutu! I<<<<<
    i am ROFL.... heeehaw...heehaw.... i felt like a dressed-up donkey in water... LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aquatic neurosis!!! Finally a scientific term for my condition!!! Congratulations on your efforts. I recommend doing the areobics maybe in waist high water until you get more accustomed, that is if you are going to that class again. I can do stuff in the water, but something has to be holding on, either my feet on the bottom or my hands on the sides. My husband, after 30 years, understands, and I can pretty well trust holding on to him. I went to a place with a waterslide once. My best friend who is a life guard and my husband waited for me at the bottom becuase it was a panicky situtaion for me. I was the only adult person that needed two other adults to help her at the bottom. I forced myself to go down three times, then I said, I am not enjoying this, why torture myself, and stopped. I like going in the water at the beach but only chest high, depending on the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hei Swathi

    LOL & LOL this is hysterically funny!!
    Haha
    BUT so sad that your first acquaintance with this splendid sport was so traumatic and so dramatic!!
    I can so picture it all in me mind.

    HUGZ and do stay safe. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. LoL...Swats...! But dear, I love you all the more for your naive nature..! You're indeed an asset. Guess, it's synchronized swimming where the gals perform aerobics in water, keeping with the rhythm of the music played. But here you had an impatient husband, and an instructor who never said what it's all about. But you oughta have asked the instructor the complete details before taking the plunge...! Dear you..!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny ! but then, you did manage to move your arms and legs ... that's definitely a beginning, Swathi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am an acquaphobic too.. too apprehensive when it comes to swimming...ended up with a fever after gulping ample amounts of it. It was a funny reflection...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are darn lucky Swathi that you did not join the 'aerobics aqua' class. It is the same as 'aqua aerobics' except for the fact that you do this upside down in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i8 leaarned swimming at the age of 10, trained by the National Coach of Indian Swimming team. but no use, still i manage to drown. though i have drowned a couple of times, i am not scared of water or swimming.

    swathi dont worry... swimming is safer than many other sports. atleast u dont fall on to a hard surface to break bones... so happy swimming...

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, its alrite gal! I used to have aquaphobia so much that i used to end up dreaming of drowning almost everynight i have semester exams and my dad took me and put me for swimming lessons and now I swim for leagues on seasonal endurance challenges. (Well, dont count my stamina for trekking mountains though, i learned the hard way that i'm shit at it)

    Its fun, you just need to learn to hold your breath and float and then you will get the gist of it! It will take maximum two days to learn to swim! No joking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope this would have removed your fear for water ....

    ReplyDelete
  14. ippo entha paraya???ummmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. anoop: yes, i will learn swimming and show others than i CAN swim...!!! nokkikko... coming soon "a swimmers blog "
    **chiricho...chiricho**

    pinx: yes pinx, I will become expert in it, lemme start my classes!

    djd: thanks for commenting and writing ur exprnce. u seem to be my soul mate in this case of aquatic neurosis! with 5ft one inch, i am not in a position to wade myself in a 1.3 m pool. btw, did u study swimming, afterwards?

    Rii: LOL..It was funny, after 2 days.. it wasnt funny at that time, while drinking water! (HUGS)

    Devi: Is it called naivety, devi? I would rather call it stupidity!!! i was absolute stupid, in assuming things! some things (mostly) i learn it the HARD way! LOL!

    Aditi: yes,dear it was definitely a beginning..at least i started with something...

    karsun: thanks for commenting! We seem to be in the same boat, in the case of swimming...waiting for fever!


    kannan: THAT logic really kicked me into thinking of all the possibilities..thanks for that!!!

    anooj: swim cheyyan padikkukayaanengil, i will tell whether its a safe sport or not... aadyam pedi onnu maattatte!!!!

    aswathy: i wonder why all "swimmers" make it sound so easy... but i always end up drinking gallons!!! ***i just cant understand it*** is it like maths? is it that only some ppl can do it?? 2 days!!!! ok, if i still drown after 2 days of class, i am gonna kill u...

    sunder: my fear is still there, but i think its severity decreased


    amrita: vellam kudichu nirachu ennu paranjaal mathiyallo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You must take a lesson from me, Swathi.
    - that is, you don't need to learn swimming to get into water. At the age of 2, I dived in the water and nobody noticed except a lone neighbour on the opposite shore. Thereafter, I have taken every opportunity to dive into water whenever I get a chance be it lagoon, sea, forest lake, etc. Till date I have never learned swimming. I don't think that is necessary!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post on aquaphobia is very well-written and descriptive and even has humor. However, there is nothing funny about not feeling safe and comfortable in water. As you learn swimming and learn to trust being in the water (which, of course, requires very competent and supportive and sensitive instructors) you will discover a major surprise: that once you have learned some basic strokes of swimming (arms and legs) and the ability to keep yourself "treading" water in one place with your arms and legs, swimming really requires very little physical effort to "happen."

    It really can be done with minimum physical effort and done well. In any case, as you learn to swim now and to swim in the future, no one can tell you that you have to swim in water over your head. Swim in shallow water (or do aerobics) and always with friends nearby (they may need your help). Also use caution in swimming, no matter how good you get.

    And congratulations in being willing to learn swimming. Like any other sport, improvement will come with practice.

    Professional swimming instructors I think are the best; they are trained to help to the water from the student's point of view. The teacher must literally and figuratively support the the swimming student and help that student to grow in water skills and in self-confidence. To me swimming is like when I learned to ride a bike and I realized that by turning the pedals I could keep the bike up and going forward.

    I am looking forward to your swimming post. Best of luck; you will be amazed as you learn what you are capable of doing by "learning" to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  18. :)I don't know to swim either but often wish I had learned.Too late now methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. First things first..... I love you Bob! Thank you so much for the much needed encouragement that you have provided to our friend in here.

    Swathi... I am waiting for you to post on the number of strokes you have learnt.... and I am willing to wait for that...... go get 'em girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Swathi..why didn't you just get hubby to film the whole thing....and you could've avoided writing this blog and given us the pleasure of watching....LOL..oops sorry...hugs....hey happens to the best of us..take this as a challenge and soon do some kickass moves in the swimming and aerobics....like Arfie says, show em girl..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. :-) Though you've written this in a humorous way, i still can sense how you would have felt when you had to stand in the water like that(in fear) Trust me... you will get over it. And aqua aerobics is such a good exercise, which can make you fit and fine. It helps you loose weight if you intend to. So keep going and dont give up. When you start swimming and floating you'll feel funny looking back at the days that u were so scared of the water. Swimming is so much fun and so relaxing and is the best way to loose calories. Good luck girl. I know you will do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You were so brave!! Gppd luck with your swimmimg. A non swimmer too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am late! The best way to learn swimming or get away the fear of being drown is either to jump into the pool from the board or someone pushing you without your knowledge. Once you are into the water for the first time, your fear goes almost.Anyways happy swimming

    ReplyDelete
  24. Would it motivate you if I tell you I had water-phobia all my life and I managed to finally learn swimming when I was 30? And now I am a pretty good swimmer and can do back stroke along with butterfly stroke, plus floating...

    Come on, just do it.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...