Monday 3 September 2007

A belated entry for our Irish Onam '07

Onam is over and I just had a very heavy sigh of relief. Till then it was like Ayyo! Onam is coming, I should do this... I should do that..- a number of planning, schedules and what not. Though honestly I don’t like cooking, I like feeding people with whatever I make. No it’s not that kind of ‘sadistic feeling’ some people may already be thinking. I really don’t want to poison them or make their stomach upset for ever, by making them the dump yard of my experiments. I truly, love the ‘idea’ of cooking on my own and giving dinners to friends. Anyone can dream, right?


So, this year, as Onam fell on a weekend, I was happy. I could cook and I could take one day leave after that to give my body the well-earned rest. On Friday I gave a crash course to both my Irish colleagues here on Onam. I could see their imagination go wild (and their pupils getting dilated) on the idea of ‘eating on a plantain leaf’. One of them even asked me about the size of the leaf. God, did he really think that we were originally some tribesmen from the darkest forests in Kerala! Anyway I told my female colleague that I am going to cook, yes cook, and that I am taking a precautionary leave on Monday in case anything goes wrong with my back or stomach! She was more supportive, may be because she compared it with the huge turkey roast they did for Christmas. But my male friend was still apprehensive. And I think that’s because he is a bachelor!


I shopped alone for the feast because my hubby and shopping never ever go together. If we wanted peace in the house, I have to do shopping on my own. Though he just did ‘pushing-the-trolley’ maneuver, he complained as though he did the whole task of making list, finding the items, comparing prices and checking them. So, I was better off without him in that task. That meant pushing the full packed trolley for some 2.5 km on my own (which was terrible, in an uneven pathway!) and then driving alone after that. Anyway I went to some African store and even bought plantain, which was not available in Pakistani store. I decided to do everything the hard way using coconut oil (which will be as hard as frozen butter in Irish climate) and using boiled rice, which took ages in getting cooked!


Anyway I woke up Saturday with a migraine which made me go panic. But after taking painkillers it went down and I started preparing for Sundays lunch menu. I usually work in kitchen with Malayalam CDs blasting in high volume - to boost my mood. It lessens the actual burden of cooking, for me. So with that, I started. My menu was:
Parippu curry, sambar, rasam, beans mezhukku puratty, carrot thoran, tuna vattichathu(non-veg), pavakkai fry. Pappadam and rice was meant for next day. Payasam (dessert), aviyal, pachadi was planned to be brought by our guests. I knew how to make aviyal. But ‘pachadi’ and ‘paayasam’ looked like “Mt.Everest” to me!



Anyway, I am not self-praising anymore… I finally did it and my back is still intact after that, along with my guests’ stomachs. Also none of us didn’t contract diarrhea. And in fact I got compliments, too! So, I think, apart from pookkalam, we irish-mallus celebrated Onam with ishtyle, in Ireland too!


Fiction: My guests (and may be the readers) thought my husband helped me.
Fact: He did, grate 5 carrots, in the whole process!


23 comments:

  1. FTC..wil read the blog and comment again

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes aviyal every now and then, cos its her favourite. And same pinch...i hate cooking too..Going to kitchen is like sight seeing for me..lol. I love the up-a-rees and the jaggery payasam.
    btw I have the same glass jar on my water..only that it is a smaller version. Its brand yera...check it..If it is..another pinch

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food looks good and seeing the expression of those who eat, the taste also is good....oh it is very easy here..just go to a restaraunt and get onam sadhya parcel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job, Swathi...! Happy Onam!
    :-)

    hey, i dunno how you make the song play automatically when i reach your page. but I love this song very much, "natha nee verum..." One of my fav oldies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that was so nice and yummy.
    uff the colourful pic making me hungry, need to order a sandwich at least, since it is almost 6 in the evening, 5 hours since I took my lunch :(

    Belated Happy ONam to u again !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, Swats..! Can see you have silenced your guests with the Kerala flavour...!

    ~Devi~

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..menu...vaayil kadal vannu..seems like nice preparation...
    mezhkku puratti...aviyal ..paayasam...
    onam adichu polichu...alle...swathi..
    onam aasamsakal...to u nd family...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow they sounded yummy and in the end when i saw the pics...the spread looks very inviting. Now dont again tell us that u dont know cooking. U sure can cook well. When u can invite guests and feed them tummy full what else do u need? That confidence is more than anything. You can cook anything under the sky if you gain that confidence in you. And the greatest part is that u did everything all alone. Good gal. *hugs* And Onam wishes to you and ur family! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...looks yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swathy.... menu kalakkiyallo.... congrats...

    BTW making pachadi is one of the asiest job... payasam is indeed tough, lots of work if you are tying out the jaggery version (pradhaman)..

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look radiant! I would love to have tasted all that you prepared. The guests look happy also.
    Mission accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. :-) appo onam kalakki alle. we here went to a hotel and had sadhya. belated onam greetings :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swathi... I want to come right over and happily eat all the yummy tihngs you made. There are people (like you) who dislike cooking but may cook well, and there are people (like me?) who love to cook but the end results can be distraous!!

    And belated wishes for Onam to you and your loved ones.

    Sabiha

    PS How did you manage to smile after cooking that much food?

    ReplyDelete
  14. yup, looks yummy.... glad that you had a nice onam...mine was adipoli too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Swathi congrats - you more than pulled it off!! Just take a look at the face of the older lady, it speaks volumes...she seems to be really enjoying the feast and so does everyone else. I don't know I just have to hear the word sadhya and my mouth starts watering....now suddenly the baingan ka bharta and fulka chappattis we are having for dinner doesn't sound too appetising :-((.....Happy belated Onam again Swathi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the tuna vattichathu in your Onam menu Swathi!! ;-)

    ...and there goes Sabiha, yet again, taking words out of my mouth!! "There are people (like you) who dislike cooking but may cook well, and there are people (like me?) who love to cook but the end results can be disastrous!!"

    And don't you be scared of pachadis, easiest thing to make!! Anooj is right.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hei Swathi

    You are a very wonderfully determined Gal -- WTG!!
    I had to roar at this:
    "Fiction: My guests (and may be the readers) thought my husband helped me.
    Fact: He did, grate 5 carrots, in the whole process!"
    Priceless. LOL

    Nothing like being an encouraging wife. Absolutely.

    The food looks ab fabu and the smile on your face, after all is done
    and laid on the table, is very warm, pleased and ready for the guests to arrive. Lovely.

    I think that you are homesick --- the music in the page of yours makes me think that....

    HUGE HUGZ from moi. Keep swell and well. Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. (((Hugs)))
    Glad you had a wonderful Onam celebration.
    And LOL at the "grated 5 carrots" bit.Mine can't manage that even;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tomorrow's Weather6 September 2007 at 03:18

    woww Di!! that is some delicious looking food!!!
    Happy belated Onam!!
    Great to know that u had a really nice time!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Swathi, I'm sorry I came here late. I was busy preparing my son for school. A challenge you will one day blog about when you get to that stage. But reading about your Onam feast makes sending child off to school sound like a piece of banana chip!

    //Then it was like, Ayyo, Onam is coming// .. I'm cracking up from having read that for the 5th time! I haven't used the word 'Ayyo' in a long time and I so miss it! The edda podda addi's happen once in while in this household but not Ayyo! That will have to change, alle?

    And how I wish I could have partaken of your Ona Saddhya. I had a Veggie burger instead. :( I don't know how to make sambhar or aviyal. I can manage the parippu and thoran and may be make some pulisheri but no one would eat it here.. well except the thoran which my husband quite likes. When I was younger we used to go to my Uncle's house for Onam (my Dad's younger brother). Most weekends of the year they used to come to our house for lunch except, faithfully for Onam when Uncle would insist on serving us lunch - literally. He'd lay out the banana leaves (a little easier to get in the Gulf than Ireland I imagine), and he'd serve us each item of the Sadhya. Those are my good memories of Onam. It will never be the same again. But may be next Onam, now that you are practised, you might have a hungry visitor with an empty banana leaf and a cheesy wide grin! Would you take her in?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely loved the second pic..with u being this really wonderful cook!! With tht pic you can host a cookery show ...leaving apart ur culinary skill which I knw are excellent!!! :-D..think about it OK???

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a wonderful Onam celebration Swathi :) Well, the cook has such a radiant smile ... its tells the whole story ! The guests clearly liked it.

    Btw noted the Fact and Fiction ... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...