Monday 2 July 2007

Going back-in time!

“May be I am like a frog inside a well, but what the heck, my life is still inside the well. “

So, here I am back again getting excited like a kid, when I find things which I don’t expect here - to be specific - in Ireland.

Last weekend as usual I managed to drag my hubby into Penny’s (Primark-the budget end clothing line in UK, Ireland and Spain) inspite of his tiring attempts to lure me away from the clutches of the store. (huh.. that sentence sounds more terrible than the original incident!)

My aim was just to browse, especially to take a longing look at the items for sale (that catches my attention), under 5 euro-just like any other normal female.

And then suddenly I saw this thing – of course on sale - there. And I am sure that at the next instant I heard my jaw dropping to the floor! I squealed to my hubby “Do you see what I am seeing? Can you believe it is ‘that’… is it available here?” And my hubby as skeptic as he is, answered “It is not what you think it is. It is something else”. But no, I was sure… it is THAT…I didn’t know its name – at least I didn’t know what it was called in Ireland(Europe) so I checked the tag…it read “beach mat”…

Now, the beach mat is not at all uncommon here, especially in summer season. But what made me squeal with excitement was the way it looked and the material with which it was made.


Because it was the same kind of traditional straw mat available in Kerala, India, which we call “paaya” or “pulpaaya” (grass mat) in Malayalam. From where I come, “paaya” is used for almost anything… to dry spices, to dry mangoes/bitter gourd/lemon prior to making pickles, to sit, to sleep, as temporary bed for both babies and grownups, in fact it can be used for anything. There is a saying that if new-born babies are made to sleep in “paaya” in floor (instead of beds or cots), their bodies grow strong! (I don’t know if it is correct or not). But it is so much close to our culture… in olden days we used special “pulpaaya” for special guests…

So, now you can get a vague idea about why I squealed. I never expected to see a “paaya” outside Kerala! I touched it first - the same feeling- I smelled it, trying to get the smell of the straw I used to get in “paaya”-no, it doesn’t smell, like that! I squeezed it—hmm…the feeling of touching something soooo familiar! But there was just one difference. This straw mat was made in such a way that you can carry it just like a small hand bag. Our own Kerala “paaya” didn’t have that facility. We could fold it only vertically, making it very difficult to pack. In fact the traditional “paaya” would never fit into a suitcase.




This was the second time, I am seeing traditional Kerala stuff in here. The first time was when I saw a broom made of dry coconut leaves – displayed as showpiece!
Note: In Kerala, we use it just to sweep and after that it rests in the darkest and the farthest corner of the store-room or kitchen. And just imagine my disbelief when I saw it as a show-piece in furniture shops!
I bought the so-called “beach mat” which is used in our place for everything except in beaches! What an irony! And yesterday I slept in “paaya” – feeling the texture- again trying to get the familiar but, non-existent smell of straw in it.

28 comments:

  1. I used to sleep in "paya" sometime back when i was at home. ha ha !! Now seeing it as a fancy item i'm laughing out loud here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes Gin, that sure was FTC...and yes, the "paya" here is a fancy item!
    I guess for us "paaya" is like "muttathe mulla" which doesn't smell! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The world has become very small.... with Indians living everywhere... it seems one can get any Indian products anywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice informative blog about keralite mat. I'm sure the straws in the weaving of this mat will make one's seating on it very comfortable.Ideal for meditation or yoga !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha we used to get those in MP as well...yeah even I freaked out when I saw one here!! Around 2 years back and we emotional Indian...I also bought it! It is still sitting in my store room!

    We used to call it "chatai":)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm anything made in Kerala and the associated memories.Swathi are a treat. You know when I was a little girl and ready to visit Kerala on holidays..my grandma would get a small paaya, kotta and chool (mentioned above) just for me to play with. she knew how much I loved them and the smell of freshly woven paaya used to be divine to say the least. She would also name the youngest born calf after me- lol- bless her soul my sweet grandma. Thank you for this memory Swathi, now to find a paaya and cuddle up in feotal position...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow that's too handy... "Paaya" is a new word for me...
    we use to call it "Chatai" here in mp...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had similar hand-woven mats in Goa too.
    But they were mostly used to dry the spices, mangoes, coconuts( before extacting the oil.)
    We kids used to play on them sometimes:)
    Oh Swathi this post of yours brought back memories for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Swathi,
    Something for sure which I do almost everyday whenever I log in on the net , is to check if you have written a post.They are so very informative & interesting to read.At times you make me go down memory lane.What amazes more is you keep so well updated all the way in Ireland and yet so close to your roots.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  10. these days we use paaya's for only 2 purposes here -
    - one is to lay on floor to sit when we pray(we have plastic paaya's these days na)
    - second is to make babies lie on floor - kaaranavanmaar parayum, kunjungale paayil kidathanam ennu.. then only the will move around n shape of their head will become correct etc etc... we bought a 'pul paaya' for Megha :D

    Memories for you.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paaya........Brings a lot of memories..Villagers in Kerala use them as their mattresses....Nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  12. alla, ithu nammud epaya alle :) ucahkku oonu kazinju katum kondu payel ingane kidannu urangaan enthu rasama... nostalgia.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful 'paaya', ivide kittunnathilum bhangi unde, pattumengil orennam kondutharamo

    ReplyDelete
  14. ayyooo.... paaa...

    ithu e kolathilum aayo???? kollallo videon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol @ Anoojs comment, Im sure that you would have paid enough money for buying fifty payas in our homeland.Hope your back feels better on a Paya. Your Irish paya has a madama look about it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "so-called “beach mat” which is used in our place
    for everything except in beaches!"

    Your quick wits are always hilarious :-)))

    It's very true...when we live far away from our home land, everything we see some native things,we get excited.

    While driving back home,I pass by the International Airport.The terminal is exactly parallel to the highway.Everyday when I see the Air India flight parked there at terminal,I get excited.My time exactly coincides with the departure time of Air India flight.It's a feeling with difference !!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol! I read this blog when you first posted and would have been an FTC but was fading at around half past 1 in the morning. My first 'beach mat' version of the paaya came from Ikea a few years ago. I could almost feel your enthusiasm/amusement when I looked at the photograph you took of the 'handbag' paaya. I thought it was pretty neat too. Great blog. Does justice to the invention of the handbag paaya!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel compelled to write something here, but what? I don't know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so right about the beach-mat.. it definitely looks like a paaya... we call it a chataayi in hindi.
    and hey, I am amazed at
    >>>> broom made of dry coconut leaves – displayed as showpiece! <<<<<

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its an Irish paaya..coz Kerala paayas dnt have lace around :-p...but its nice..looks pretty. Great tht u found it in Ireland :)

    Enjoy sleeping on it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. On our monsoon holidays...We used to play using this Pullupaaya..Making it as a cylindrical home....While elders will be chit chatting somewhere else..And that smell...of pulpaaya...i felt it nw..hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  22. In tamilnadu we call it Pai...nowadays u also get its poor cousin made from synthetic material...but does not give off the cool feeling of the original straw....

    Another traditional use in Tamilnadu is, it is gifted in weddings by the girl's family...It is called "PATTU PAI"...It is supposed to be specially woven in multiple colours..with the name of the bride n groom appearing in the woven texture & it is unusually broad as well....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Swathi,

    You always make me nostalgic.........I remember the street vendor who carried this in my street shouting.........Pai..Paaai...Paaaaaaaaaaai. Yeah thats how it is called (Paai) in Tamil

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hei Swathi.

    I have to laugh heartily at your nostalgia over the paaya!!
    To me it is a beach mat... Heeeh
    Take care and do so enjoy the sleep in the paaya.
    HUGZ from Rii xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know, when I buy gifts for my friends and family in India, I make sure it doesn't have a made-in-India tag and also it doesn't look Indian. It is amazing to note that the markets here are influxed with Indian goods, esp the traditional work.. like rugs and carpets, shawls, stoles, bags, jewelry, etc. There is a lot of difference I see in these 7-8 years... Indian goods have penetrated the market and I am not at all surprized to see a frozen box of 'Matar Paneer' next to a frozen Pizza in a grocery store...
    And with our mind set we are so delighted to see anything that looks remotely Indian... that tendency is hard to get rid of as well.

    Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  26. we have such mats in our state(AP) too....

    ReplyDelete
  27. These straw matresses are too good comparing the plastic matress we use. Even many things could be made from coconut tree and thats why it is called Kalpvriksha, the one which gives everything. I heard that in Kerala there are institutes to make useful things from each and every part of coconut tree.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...