Sunday 13 May 2007

Bouncing back on my "back" , again!


I have lost count of the number of times, I bounced back in life after some accident or injury or trauma(mental,too!). And each time I surprise myself, by being happier than before. I can only thank God, who blessed me with that spirit in me. A lot of people have told me in the past that I am truly a strong survivor, but I didn’t believe it, till this moment – after my latest survival!


It has been one and half months, since I stopped working in office. Tougher times are always at the beginning and end, when at first you do not accept that you CANNOT work and at the end you are SCARED to get back to work. God! How constantly we resist changes in our lives!


There are lots of good things that happened during this ‘break’ I took. First, I started taking a course on creative writing, which makes me so happy and full - from inside my heart. Finally, after 29 years, I am studying something entirely for MYSELF and NOT to meet my parents’ or teachers’ or manager’s expectations or standards on me! WOW! What a wonderful bliss! You know happiness lies in NOT making others happy. It lies in making just yourself happy! A lesson I learnt, now!


So for all my friends who didn’t know what happened to me, I had a slipped disc again for the fourth time in last 4 yrs. Now the disc didn’t just slip and sat there. It started pinching the nerve (Sciatic nerve) that was near it, just like those naughty 4 yr old kindergarten boys. And the nerve got irritated and started annoying my brain. So, my brain just numbed my left side, starting from my left hip till ankle, through the leg. And here I was trying to use my left hip and leg, with no success! It is nothing serious, it always happens to me. So I know, when the pinching starts, and ends with numbness.


Ironically, the main problem I found was I didn’t have broadband at home. Can you imagine? Ireland, one of the richest countries in Europe and still do not have broadband coverage, in some of the exchanges (which included our exchange)? That was what irritated me, and I closed down my blog, because I just couldn’t drive or take the bus to an Internet café, to keep my blog active – at least when my doctor asked me NOT to sit or stand for long period.


Among other nice things that happened were, renewing my library card and reading ‘Memoirs of A Geisha’. I fell in love with that book again and again that I am still renewing it every two weeks, though I have finished reading it twice! My librarian gave me a huge, jute book-bag (with the name of the library printed on it) - when she saw me struggling with the weight of six hard-back books I carried each week. It was kind of funny. She must have thought I was really a bookworm.


When the relationship between my doctor and me reached a personal level, she recommended me this book – You Can Heal Yourself – by Louis L. Hay. (Www.LouiseHay.com). I am usually not into those self-help books, which says “You Can Be A Millionaire Within Two Months” OR “You can lose 30 pounds in two weeks”. I really think, each person is different and the ways that worked for one may not work for another - like prescription drugs!


But I should say that this book was wonderful. Though I reached only till Chapter 7, I must say that Louise knows what she is writing/teaching about. A wonderful book, especially when you are trying to bounce back into life!


So, that’s all what is happening now. I presume that I can start work from 15 May (which also happens to be my first anniversary day in Ericsson). And another ‘good’ thing - I lost 4 kilos, now hitting 48 kg, with bed-rest! And who said that you have to be ‘active’ to lose weight?

note: the pic is actually me swinging my heart out,in a kids' park,of course!

Text Link Ads

29 comments:

  1. Hei Dear Swathi.

    Oooh, great to see you back in action
    on the 360! Do get getting better all the time.
    HUGZ from Rii on holz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God that you are well and ready to work. Of course you must take it easy.....All the best..Missed you! Welcome back...*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of hugs my friend, you are a fighter albeit a sublime one, Im on my third day of rest for back pain. No its not the disc but a sprain due to over exercise. I know that youve got a lot of catching up to do on your professional life, so dont bother to reply. Your words about doing for ourself so true. I am in a profession which I took up for my bread and buter not my passion. Now that my bread and butter are taken care of I really should be looking eslewhere at least part time isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy that you are back Swathi and in such cheerful mood -we missed you. You are amazing - keep it up and develop your internal happiness.
    Love,
    Sveta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring REad.

    Gud to see you utilise your rest period so 'Creatively'.... God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what i forgot to write in my blog, i will mention here.

    You are a Ironlady, I salute you ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doing nice things in ur rest time...creative writing and books. Nice. Hope u get back to ur normal schedule as soon as possible, take care dear and GET WELL SOON :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its nice to see you back... and still better (infact grrreat) to know that you are doing well...

    take it easy and have a blast in the blogworld...

    Welcome Back...

    ReplyDelete
  9. "How constantly we resist changes in our lives!" I would say this realisation is one of the greatest learnings you can come across, and if this is the product of your being unwell for a few weeks, then it was really worth it!

    I do understand what it feels like beng back in action, I am back to my travels- already did a trip to Delhi and am going to Bangalore tommorrow morning...(but I am not really back into the blogs as yet- just a few comments in a few pages)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see you back Swathi!! ((((((HUGGGS)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Swathi,

    So nice to have you 'back'! But please take care and don't lose weight like this... I know I too like to lose a few pounds but thorugh sickness is not a good idea.

    I haven't read 'Memoirs of a Geisha', but watched the movie. Awesome!
    Take care and take it easy girl., We missed you.

    Sabiha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see you,Girl!
    (((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back Swathi.

    ReplyDelete
  14. happy to see that u are back on ur back...do take care...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow nice to know that you liked Memoirs of geisha. Its an amazing book.
    And welcome back on your back! *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  16. welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey.. welcome back... its great to see you back in action!!!
    you are a true survivor... love your spirits :)

    lolzz as for memoirs if a geisha...I had finished the whole book in one day...lolzzz no, I didn't buy it...I just spent an entire day at the book-shop and when shalley came to pick me up at 8 after office.. he had to sit there and wait for me to finish my last 5 pages:)
    I loved the book, specially the detailed description of that era... I even saw the movie after that and read up all about the controversy of that book online... the movie was disappointing... but the net-search was mind blowing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy you are back and better,,,,I know first hand what you are going through........am going through it myself.
    HAVE MISSED YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "How constantly we resist changes in our lives!" ... that's a prfound realisation, Swathi. And ... its great to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. welsome back swathi... nice to know tht u r feleing better now.. take care,..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Swaaaaaaaathiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii,
    Ah, so you are here! I'm so glad to c yu again!

    Nice title there "Back on full swing"!
    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to see you back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice to see that u have recoevered nd back in full josh ... keep going .. nd njoy ur life

    ReplyDelete
  24. **HAPPY ..JUMPING AROUND ** ...am up with a small bed rest !...got your back problem !...will tell ya later !..Take care Swats !** man its been so long since i wrote this **

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome Back after so long time...Good to see u back...Keep Writing...and I hope u all good with ur Health...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice to see you back,Swathi:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. hello dear Swathi....Nice to c u happy..
    But ..
    I wanna make myself happy by seeing you happier!!!!
    yup...
    welcme bak...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey,Swathi....I can't say welcome back....I just came to know ur absence from the blogworld now...as I too was away from our planet 360 ...Well,It sounds nothing compared to what u 've suffered...u are really tough one....looks like that from writings...Anyway loved to see ur blog ,when I came in...Hope u have all the strength in world including mine ...a good 130 kg..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  29. well bak wid a bang huh??

    i hope tht u bak doesn't hurt u again...take care.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...