Thursday 13 April 2006

My Strange Encounters !


I have a very strange habit, which can be termed as good or bad, based on the situation in which I am in. Others (my mom and hubby) say its really a dangerous habit which can make me land in troublesome situations and that if nothing of that sort happened till now, its just cos, they are lucky.(and not me!).

The thing is that, I can strike up very open and close conversions(at least from my side) with strangers during my long journeys. Let it be in bus or train or airplane. I get close with my fellow traveller, very fast. Nothing matters to me. Their age, sex, nationality or even language. Only once it had landed me in trouble, and that was in my own place, kerala, and with a woman. (it turned ugly, cos that woman turned out to be a prostitute and she forced me to travel with her, when other travellers interfered and helped me out!!! It was a really terrifying experience!!!)

 

When I first started travelling alone by plane,  with transit flights thru more than 3 difft countries, my mom told me only one thing and that to keep my mouth shut with strange co-traveller. I could do it only once. Transit flights made me wait in airports anywhere from 1 hour to 12 hours, and for me to keep my mouth shut for such a looooong time was impossible. If I couldn't get any one, I would go and chat with the duty-free shopkeepers!!!!

 

Once, on one such 3 hr wait, in Qatar, I had dinner with an Italian lady. The funny part was , she didn't speak English and I didn't speak Italian. But for whole 3 hrs we "chatted"...LOL....And that too non-stop. Then I knew the universal language by which animals speak(and we too..). We used actions (even during our dinner, using our hands) and was perfectly happy with the results. She was going to Nepal, to see her daughter and she told me that she travels very frequently to Asian countries and was very much interested in Buddhism. (at least that's what I understood from her sign language). I told her about our Sonia Gandhi (the only Italian whom I knew...LOL!).

 

This time, I had 12 hrs transit delay in Abu Dhabi, and was put in Airport Hotel, by Gulf Air. I walked thru the whole hotel lobby to find my "chat-prey"(poor me!). I found 2 ...both were Indians,(but US citizens) waiting for US transit flight. One was a young guy (could have chosen him!! Sigh!!). But I chose the other uncle, who had a 24 yr old daughter and 22 yr old son, back in Florida (may be, I felt more secure with him). Again, I had lunch and dinner with him and we chatted for 4-5 hrs. Finally he gave me his number and address in US and in India when I checked out.

 

When I came back to India , during my first flight to Bahrain, there was this Arab man near me (I don't know his nationality, cos he refused to talk to me!!). First he refused to sit near me, till the cabin crew coaxed him. I tried my best, to chat up with him,. But he just leaned away from me and began writing some thing in Arabic in tissue paper. I have a very strong feeling that it may be curses for me in Arabic. He spoke good English with stewardess, so I am sure, that he certainly wanted to avoid me....

 

In the next transit flight. After 3 hrs wait in Bahrain, I was determined to chat with my fellow passenger, whoever he/she was (if he was NOT insanely drunk!!). Fortunately, he was a friendly keralite (again my dad's age!). I chatted non stop with him ,even mentioning about the Arabic man who refused to talk with me. He told me, that he hasn't seen any girl like me, who chatted like this so open and w/o any fear for strangers...somewhere deep inside me, a voice told me that this behavior of mine is not a very good one. But fortunately, he was a nice man, had a daughter who was 17 yrs of age. And when I landed in kerala, he also told me that he had a very non-boring journey with me...gave his address too...

 

NOTE: I havent given my address or phone number to any of my fellow passengers. Nobody asked too. But they all gave me theirs... May be, by sheer luck, they were all good people. But I know I am at risk, with this behavior of mine. Especially, when travelling long distance and have 2-3 transit flights in b/w. And my mom and hubby is completely unaware of these strange and would-have-been-not-so-good encounters of mine! May be God is with me...

 

18 comments:

  1. yup its true swathi god was with you.lol.
    i haven had thth good encounters till now but i prefer to b silent unless someone looks friendly.
    ohh man dont ask on every time waiting for flight i would b alone having my food n drink no company :(
    i wish atleast next time i fly i would find some person like you.lol.
    once an old lady was siting in my seat n she was refusing to leave from it even ater all stewardess convincing her to move from my seat.i dont know wht superstitous beilief she had n not moving from my seat i always ask for window aisle as i love to see the wings take off n land but on tht day she ate my brains n i was made to sit somewhere atlast as we indians accept for everyting i made to sit on somewhere with some full boozed guys.wht else to do i travelled with those slept guys :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey forgot to wish u swathi.Vishu Ashamsagal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly ever strike up a conversation with someone I don't know, but I never had a problem with people who came up to me and started conversations out of nowhere. In fact I kind of welcome them... but yeah, you have to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God will be with you swathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a good habit I say. The only thing you need is you should be smart enough to find what kinda person is the opposite one. It doesnt take long time. We can find it in the looks, most of the times

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL nice habbit swathi,but it proves dangerous sometimes,i think god is with u, u got all the nice people to chat,mine is also same like u but i look for someone to start chat with me,if they start means they r dead hehehee,anyway tc swathi and happy vishu .
    cheers
    praveen

    ReplyDelete
  7. u seems to be a sweet lady. Ur lucky to find all gud people gud luck to u.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swathi, seriously, I too have the same habit to an extent... in a public place I get acquainted with people very easily... people give me their address and e-mail ids too... I am happy I have a friend with same habit :D... the narration was good da... Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So Swathi is a chatterbox... ur lucky to encounter so many good people.. otherwise people like that "Arabic sheikh" are also a plenty.... and they make talks a tough job.

    Well, all the best to you, and hope you have good encounters all along.. and a minimum of bad encounters...


    Cheers/Nitin

    P.S.: I am sure the encounter with that arab guy must be something to remember.... Duniya mein har tarah ke log milte hain.. :-)) :-)) (",)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Vishu.

    I am not so sure if it is a bad habit, but exercising caution doesnt hurt.
    But life is short, have fun, enjoy.
    Like you say, there is a God.
    And like my colleague says, nothings happens by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Vishu !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol ;) that is a great journey...

    Arun KP

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like a replica of 'Me'..but then,yeah swathi, I do that, but we goto be careful!! It's not good neither bad!! Not wierd for sure! Just play safe!

    Happy Vishu..

    ReplyDelete
  14. you really are something sis... wonder if u are a taurus....
    and God IS with u...remember ur visa and ur money problem

    ReplyDelete
  15. pradeep----i hope, next time, we could travel together...we will make the flight feel as if we are in disney land...LOL!
    thanks for the visu wishes!

    lisa---u r correct. its not tooo good to trust some one blindly....

    sekhar---yea, HE was always there with me. else i wouldnt have been now here to write about this....

    madhoo---u r intelligent to judge others, by looks....i dont think i am as smart as that....

    praveen---ur behaviour seems to be better, i shud say....and thanks for vishu wishes.


    eswar---me and sweet!!!.....ask my mom! she will give u a list of 1000 things for me not being sweet....i was lucky, though to find some nice ppl....

    honey----same pinch!!! thanks...

    nits---any doubts in me being a chaterbox? i conveniently forget the arab guy.......there are other ppl, na?

    CK--thanks...u r rite, but i dont think abt caution, when i strat chatting (must think abt it, next time!)

    chandra---thanks alot...

    arun---yea, that was a journey (4 times, it was similar!)

    janoo---yea, we are all chatterboxes na? and my safety.....its is in Gods hands, as always!

    roshan---i am a virgo....yea God is with me...so, i feel alot of freedom.....if HE is with us, no one can be against us...

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey... you actually went thru abudhabi and dint even bother to give me a call??? Rt now, where are you?

    if I heard that you are flying anywhere above my head, you will have to stop in the Dubai Airport (plz arrange the flight that way)... even if its for few hours, we will meet up... (Dubai is an interesting place unlike qatar and bahrain.)

    When are you travelling next?... I never knew you strayed past UAE without my knowledge. *fuming*

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL Still... you should have let me know yaar... you have my number also! (No need to smile... I'm still angry!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey its ok...coz u n me r on da same boat...hahahahahah:D...i luv speakin to strangers

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...